Options

Replacing a photo in proof delay

ahockleyahockley Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited August 8, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
When I replace a photo from the proof delay interface, I understand that it replaces the photo for the given order.

Does that photo then replace my original in the gallery, so that the new version is used for all subsequent orders? That would make sense, but I just wanted to confirm...

Thanks,
Aaron

Comments

• Options
    Kirk WattsKirk Watts Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    This might help
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/proof-retouch-replace

That page is pretty informative, but it's still not crystal clear. The wording would lead me to believe you're only replacing the contents of the order, so to speak, and the gallery remains untouched headscratch.gif. I suppose the rationale behind this would mean that you could do individual tweaks to every order dependant on what the customer wanted, without amending the gallery copy (some customers might want to keep in that bird another customer wanted cropped out etc).
  • Options
    ahockleyahockley Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 6, 2008
    Kirk, I see what you're saying... I'm just hoping to get a definite answer from someone rather than guessing.

I'm in a case where I put up a gallery of 250 photos that were "pretty good" so that folks could make print selections. Now that they're starting to order, once they choose their prints I'm finishing the retouching work and replacing with higher-quality images... but I want to know if I can just do that within the order, or if I also need to go back to the gallery and replace the photos there as well.
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    I have several recent examples of it replacing the photo in the gallery when replacing it in the proof delay. I've been adding logos for an event after purchase so I can place the logo accordingly if they decide to crop as well as doing some extra tweaks.
    Those are now in the gallery with the logo included. thumb.gif

Though I learned a lesson that you should do the cropping with the online tool as you will end up replacing your original, now cropped. ooops.. !

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    The photo in the gallery will be replaced if you use the replace tool.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Kirk WattsKirk Watts Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    The photo in the gallery will be replaced if you use the replace tool.

Thanks!

Hi Andy,

So, would both the 'replace photo' button in the order, and the 'replace' function (from the drop down list) in the gallery, have exactly the same result (in terms of what images are replaced)? Hope that makes sense...

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    Kirk Watts wrote:
    Hi Andy,

So, would both the 'replace photo' button in the order, and the 'replace' function (from the drop down list) in the gallery, have exactly the same result (in terms of what images are replaced)? Hope that makes sense...

ne_nau.gif

I know that replacing the photo in the order also replaces the photo in the gallery, but I don't know for sure whether replacing the photo in the gallery also replaces the photo in the order.