Options

Help needed for beginner

gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited April 11, 2005 in Technique
Took this one tonight shutter 1/125 F 3.1 iso 400
19349805-S.jpg

This one there were some lovely colours in the sky but not in the photo shutter 1/160 F 3.6 iso 400

19349809-S.jpg

both dark forground what have i done wrong, both taken about 15 minutes after the sun went down
Regards
Gary

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    No pics....i'm just seeing red X's. But im getting that a lot of late though.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    It's called dynamic range. When there is too much of it, something has to give. In this case, the shadows are what was sacrificed to try and get detail in the sky.

Solution, use a graduated neutral density filter to darken the sky, but leave the ground as bright as it can get. That brings the dynamic range into the realm the camera can deal with.

You can also achieve the same thing by taking two shots from a tripod, one exposed for the sky, and one for the ground. Combine the two shots together in your image editor to get the best from both exposures. The technique is called exposure blending. You can read more about it here:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/blended_exposures.shtml
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Thanks Shay

I will go and see what the local camera shop has got in the way of filters
    Regards
    Gary
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 11, 2005
    It's called dynamic range. When there is too much of it, something has to give. In this case, the shadows are what was sacrificed to try and get detail in the sky.

Solution, use a graduated neutral density filter to darken the sky, but leave the ground as bright as it can get. That brings the dynamic range into the realm the camera can deal with.

You can also achieve the same thing by taking two shots from a tripod, one exposed for the sky, and one for the ground. Combine the two shots together in your image editor to get the best from both exposures. The technique is called exposure blending. You can read more about it here:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/blended_exposures.shtml
    Is there any doubt why this guy earned his "artist" smiley? I'm thinking he also deserves a new "professor" smiley.