Options

The path through the trees

KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
edited April 11, 2005 in Landscapes
If you can't find anything to shoot, break out the wide angle, find some "perspective."

19285319-L.jpg

At a different angle and exagerating the curve of the tree. I also played with the color to give it a colder more desolate look.

19285321-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    I like the 1st one, can picture myself walking down the path thumb.gif
    Very good way to handle nothing to shot :D

By the way there's probably a couple macro shots in there somewhere :lol
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    I like the 1st one, can picture myself walking down the path thumb.gif
    Very good way to handle nothing to shot :D

By the way there's probably a couple macro shots in there somewhere :lol
    Thanks.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    I like the second one best, it is more weird.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Very Nice
    Khaos wrote:
    If you can't find anything to shoot, break out the wide angle, find some "perspective."

At a different angle and exagerating the curve of the tree. I also played with the color to give it a colder more desolate look.

I like both shots, I am looking to buy a wide angle lens in a couple more weeks time :) seriously looking at the Canon 24mm 1.4

Thanks for sharing your images......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    These are oversharpened. Was that on purpose? Trees and bushes without leaves are very easy to oversharpen. They will loom large in the second sharpening tutorial and dd assignment.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    I like both shots, I am looking to buy a wide angle lens in a couple more weeks time :) seriously looking at the Canon 24mm 1.4

Thanks for sharing your images......... Skippy (Australia)
    Thanks.

They were taken using the 10-22 EF-S. If you have the 20D, I highly recommend this lens.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    These are oversharpened. Was that on purpose? Trees and bushes without leaves are very easy to oversharpen. They will loom large in the second sharpening tutorial and dd assignment.
    To get the effect, yes, they are that way on purpose. I did not use unsharp mask, but increased them by shadow and highlight and then also played with the white and black in selective color to give the bark and branches the white\blue glow.

While I liked the idea of the shot, the sky color that day was blah, and the overall effect of two tall trees with some branches against the sky didn't do it for me. So I deepened the sky and increased the contrast against the branches and also sharpened the bark of the trees to get the effect of the trees pushing upwards against a sky pushing downwards.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    To get the effect, yes, they are that way on purpose. I did not use unsharp mask, but increased them by shadow and highlight and then also played with the white and black in selective color to give the bark and branches the white\blue glow.

While I liked the idea of the shot, the sky color that day was blah, and the overall effect of two tall trees with some branches against the sky didn't do it for me. So I deepened the sky and increased the contrast against the branches and also sharpened the bark of the trees to get the effect of the trees pushing upwards against a sky pushing downwards.

Could you tell me how that sharpens them? Not technically, but what I should do when I use shadow/highlights so that I don't get a hyper sharpening effect. I use it for shadow highlights, rarely use USM, as I hate people saying my stuff is over sharpened. I figured that if I didn't sharpen, they wouldn't say that. But I often do what you did, not for the same effect, but I just like the highlights/shadow thing, and I like to deepen the blacks and often like to bring up the whites a little? How would I avoid a sharpening look?

I have already said that I really like the second trees. I would love to have that lens. I have the 17-40L from fish. I think he sold it so he could buy the lens you used. I have to have some lens I can half way call "normal". My 17-40 seems to have become it.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Could you tell me how that sharpens them? Not technically, but what I should do when I use shadow/highlights so that I don't get a hyper sharpening effect. I use it for shadow highlights, rarely use USM, as I hate people saying my stuff is over sharpened. I figured that if I didn't sharpen, they wouldn't say that. But I often do what you did, not for the same effect, but I just like the highlights/shadow thing, and I like to deepen the blacks and often like to bring up the whites a little? How would I avoid a sharpening look?

I have already said that I really like the second trees. I would love to have that lens. I have the 17-40L from fish. I think he sold it so he could buy the lens you used. I have to have some lens I can half way call "normal". My 17-40 seems to have become it.

ginger
    When you deepen the shadow and increase the highlight, you get more detail by increasing the depth of what's there. This works well on feathers, tree bark, flower petals, or anything that has a lot of shallow texture. It's a game in increasing the shadows and highlights while adjusting the tonal. Like anything, the mileage varies depending on the pic. You also can use the midtone slider to assist in toning down over exposed colors.

I purposely overdid it on these photos, but it is a tool I use way more than unsharp mask. My pics are in focus, but sometimes need a little help bring out some textures.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    I purposely overdid it on these photos, but it is a tool I use way more than unsharp mask. My pics are in focus, but sometimes need a little help bring out some textures.

Without meaning to highjack this thread, let me get a plug in for my sharpening tutorial. and the current digital darkroom assignment on sharpening. Sharpening is not a fix for soft focus. In fact, it doesn't work very well if the image is not in focus. But nearly every image can benefit from some sharpening, especially when printed.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Without meaning to highjack this thread, let me get a plug in for my sharpening tutorial. and the current digital darkroom assignment on sharpening. Sharpening is not a fix for soft focus. In fact, it doesn't work very well if the image is not in focus. But nearly every image can benefit from some sharpening, especially when printed.
    The great thing about this site is the help everyone gets. Plug away, your tutorials are always helpful. thumb.gif Thanks.