Options

dropping pixels

landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
edited April 11, 2005 in Cameras
I have an Olympus c8080z, and for the most part it's a decent camera. I have had problems lately with missing pixels though. It never happen when I first got the camera and it's not happening with every shot. It does seem to be in the same spot everytime when it does happen though...

I thought it was kind of strange and wondered if others have had this problem. Maybe I'll be getting my 20D sooner rather than later! ...at least it's a good excuse, right?
Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com

Comments

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    The sensor is starting to go. It started to happen in my old Kodak, you'll get the bright green pixel in the same spot. It really is a good excuse to get the 20D.:D You'll love the camera and have a huge love\hate relationship with your lust for L glass.mwink.gif You will remember the joy you get the very first time you post process that sharp, crisp, mouth watering RAW image you got from shooting with your first L glass though.thumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 4, 2005
    landrum wrote:
    I have an Olympus c8080z, and for the most part it's a decent camera. I have had problems lately with missing pixels though. It never happen when I first got the camera and it's not happening with every shot. It does seem to be in the same spot everytime when it does happen though...

I thought it was kind of strange and wondered if others have had this problem. Maybe I'll be getting my 20D sooner rather than later! ...at least it's a good excuse, right?
    Sometimes sensors develop bad pixels - I had one pixelon my CoolPix 995 that would always be purple at higherr ISOs. Not sure there is any cure... ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2005
    Okay, I've only had this camera 9 months! I do shoot quite a bit, but not THAT much! What causes a bad sensor; is shooting even a part of it? Would that have something to do with the loss of sharpness I've noticed also? Do I have to worry about that happening with the 20D too?

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2005
    Loss of sharpness isn't related to dead pixels unless you have a bunch of them. It may indictive of a failing sensor of camera though.

Olympus does have a pixel remapping feature for some of their cameras to deal with dead pixels.

I think the risk of dead pixels depends on the manufacturing process on the batch that are produced at the time. Thus the risk can be there for any camera, but it should be rare.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2005
    Just ordered my 20D today! clap.gif I can't wait for it to get here!!!

I was mulling between the Rebel XT and the 20D, but I decided that in the long run the 20D would be the way to go...hope I'm right!ne_nau.gif

I just had to share!

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2005
    landrum wrote:
    Just ordered my 20D today! clap.gif I can't wait for it to get here!!!

I was mulling between the Rebel XT and the 20D, but I decided that in the long run the 20D would be the way to go...hope I'm right!ne_nau.gif

I just had to share!
    You'll love it.iloveyou.gif

I researched like crazy before I made the plunge and got mine. I love it. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics once you have it in your hands.