Options

Eyeone Display 2...did I do it right?

Unbrok3nUnbrok3n Registered Users Posts: 444 Major grins
edited August 16, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I just got a new monitor (dell 2005fpw), and a new eyeone display 2.
I installed the software, then ran eyeone diagnostics, and then eyeone match 3. After I went through all that, am I all set? What does eyeone share do?
I set it to remind me to calibrate again in 1 week. How often should I do it?

After callibration things look a little pale and washed out. The background here doesnt look black, but it does look perfectly black on my uncalibrated dell latitude.

When I open the eye one match, the screen actually changes and things get less washed out, however, once i start and finish the process, its washed out again!
Im doing it in a dark room with just a lamp...could that be it? When and how should I use the light thing that came with the hardware?
Also, I dont know if it has anything to do with it, but I was just laying the hardware on the screen, should I suction it on?
Im freakin out! haha. Please help me :( thanks!
graphic designer/photographer

Comments

• Options
    Kirk WattsKirk Watts Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Unbrok3n wrote:
    I just got a new monitor (dell 2005fpw), and a new eyeone display 2.
    I installed the software, then ran eyeone diagnostics, and then eyeone match 3. After I went through all that, am I all set? What does eyeone share do?
    I set it to remind me to calibrate again in 1 week. How often should I do it?

After callibration things look a little pale and washed out. The background here doesnt look black, but it does look perfectly black on my uncalibrated dell latitude.

When I open the eye one match, the screen actually changes and things get less washed out, however, once i start and finish the process, its washed out again!
    Im doing it in a dark room with just a lamp...could that be it? When and how should I use the light thing that came with the hardware?
    Also, I dont know if it has anything to do with it, but I was just laying the hardware on the screen, should I suction it on?
    Im freakin out! haha. Please help me :( thanks!

I don't have one of these particular calibrators, but something that can be common is that things will appear washed out, because your display may have crushed all your slight varients of black levels into one pure black before. Now you've calibrated, you're showing the full range of blacks, meaning that although things may look initially more washed out, it's only because you couldn't see all those slightly lighter shades of blacks before (they all got forced to pure black). I hope that makes sense?

Just one possible explanation - I don't really know enough to say anymore!
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    Ya, that makes sense. But for instance, the very back, background of this site is supposed to be pure black right? It has a slight shade of brown on my monitor...
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    Ill try to clear it up.
    After calibrating, my blacks didnt seem true black. They were almost a little brown.
    Therefore, colors seemed slightly washed out.
    Could somebody just explain the process through eyeone display 2 to get the best calibration? I wasnt really sure what to do first or anything.
    Also, after the first diagnostics, I saved it. Should I delete that?
    I was also just wondering if its the ambient light...and if so, what should my next step be?
    Sorry if i wasnt being clear. Thanks!

I just realized I didnt restart. When I installed it asked for a restart. Could that be part of the problem?
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    This might help? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDGkwlQidz8

Having just watched the video, she does state that you need to reboot for it to be applied.

She doesn't use the advanced option in this video walk through either - most forums I've read suggest using the advanced option when calibrating.

Sorry I can't be of much help, as I don't own any monitor calibration hardware (although I am looking to buy an Eyeone Display 2).
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    I cant get the colors to look good. How long does the advanced usually take? I waited for about a half an hour on the "rgb" part...and it never finished. If I hit the next arrow it worked for about 10 zeconds then went back to the Eyeone screen.
    At the end of doing the "easy" calibration, I hit the before and after thing, the after (calibrated) looks so bad (very washed out) compared to the rish, "uncontrasted" version.
    Uuugh. Im going back to school in a few weeks and I need to figure this out...
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    In advanced, a previous profile can be loaded in or you can choose your own settings. The ambient light will be measured on this setting if you tick the box followed by an Ambient light check for Temperature and luminance.
    The advanced calibration will go through an extensive calibration of the Contrast which literally takes until your patience runs out. This is until you close it down in frustration and read the previously mentioned help pane down the right of the window. This will explain that the contrast has to be manually adjusted and the slider in the top right of the screen will move to the centre. The calibration will then be performed.

Perhaps that's why it took so long?
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    When it said to turn the contrast all the way up I did. However, the part where it asks about RGB, when I hit start it just kept going forever. Should I just wait?
    If I hit the "next" arrow it ran a few tests for maybe 30 seconds, then exited out and went back to the screen where I clicked the next button!
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    Kirk Watts wrote:
    I This will explain that the contrast has to be manually adjusted and the slider in the top right of the screen will move to the centre. The calibration will then be performed.

Perhaps that's why it took so long?

So, after I manually set the contrast on my screen, what slider will move to the center? The one after I go to the next step, or is there a slider I missed in the screen before the test is performed? Is this before I click on the RGB part or something else? Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    I'm not sure what else can be done - without owning one myself I'm afraidne_nau.gif .

These are resources I was using - they might hold some answers for you:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/eye_one_display_2.html
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/X-Rite-eye-one-display-2
    http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?t=1365

Hopefully someone else will chip in! :help
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    Wow, I forgot you dont even have it!
    Thanks so much for all your help. Im at work right now, but will read those in depth when I get home.
    If anyone who has experienced the eyeone display 2 could chime in, Id appreciate that too :)
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2008
    Well, I've just bought one and it'll be with me on Tuesday! Hopefully I can give you some better help then! thumb.gif

Cheers,

Kirk.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2008
    This will be my last bump. sorry for being annoying.
    But if anybody can dumb down what the steps in advance are, and how to set rgb, luminance, contrast, etc. I would appreciate it so much! Thank you.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2008
    Once I have one of my own (Tuesday - fingers crossed), I'll be able to give you some more help I'm sure.

In the mean time, have you uninstalled Adobe Gamma - if you have it installed that is?

There's a guide on how to get rid of it here.
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Here's how I do mine:

1. Connect the eye-one device to your computer, then start up Eye-One Match. Make sure you have the latest version 3.6.2. Select the Advanced option.
    348318581_2ZaNv-L.jpg

2. Select LCD for the monitor type.
    348318635_iT7wB-L.jpg

3. Select your white point. I chose Warm White (5000K), but you decide what you want. I don't bother with the Ambient Light Check since it doesn't really affect your LCD's color setting. It's only used as a reference so you know what kind of lighting you have in the area.
    348318756_jsdPX-L.jpg

4. Attach the counter weight and place the Eye-One Display on your lcd. Make sure it flat against the screen. If the suction doesn't quite hold it, till your lcd screen back.
    348318640_8Kmrr-L.jpg

5. Now the fun begins. Click the Start button to measure and set the contrast.
    348318696_BoBxu-L.jpg

6.Adjust the screen contrast using the lcd display's adjustment menu till the contrast indicator in on 0. Then click the Stop button to get back to the Set the Contrast screen. Click the right arrow to go to the next screen.
    348318664_7bPXx-L.jpg

7. Click the Start button to set the white point.
    348318722_dzg3o-L.jpg

8. Wait till the white square shows and the indicators are stable. Use the lcd display's adjustment menu to change the RGB (red, green, and blue) till the indicators are centered on 0, then click Stop. Click on right arrow to go to the next screen.
    348318721_cUERZ-L.jpg

9. Click the Start button to calibrate brightness.
    348318779_4ui4e-L.jpg

10. Adjust the brightness till indicator is on 0. Click Stop.
    348354916_aQZy7-L.jpg

11. Now that contrast, white point, and brightness are set, click the right arrow and i1 Match will cycle through and measure the various shades and colors to build a color profile.
    348318754_HG78n-L.jpg

12. Once the profile is established, you'll get this screen.
    348320018_2jgh4-L.jpg

13. Set the reminder to your desired setting. I set mine to 4 weeks. Click Finish or the right arrow to save the profile, then close i1 Match. Now you're done ... till it's time to do it again.
    348318613_UMQ4K-L.jpg

I certainly hope this would help anyone who hesitates to use the advanced setting. It's not that bad at all.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2008
    Perfect tutorial. Thank you very much.
    If my laptop doesnt have a setting for changing RGB, should I skip that step?
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2008
    Well, Im off to a bad start. I cant get the black line right on 0 for the contrast. If I put 52 contrast its 2 lines away from 0 (in the green) when I put 53, its 5 lines away. What should I do? Is two lines from the middle close enough? Thanks
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    Unbrok3n wrote:
    Well, Im off to a bad start. I cant get the black line right on 0 for the contrast. If I put 52 contrast its 2 lines away from 0 (in the green) when I put 53, its 5 lines away. What should I do? Is two lines from the middle close enough? Thanks
    You want the indicator to be within the green zone, so a couple lines away should be ok. I don't have a laptop so I can't really tell you how the calibration should be.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    I have the i1XT and received training from Xrite... Here's the deal with laptops and most LCD's..

Reset the monitor to default.

Set the brightness/contrast if you can (laptops won't really have this option).

Do NOT both to do the RGB values... LCD's aren't really like CRT's--they don't actually change the output.. They just kind of affect an internal ICC profile. Basically, you're better off getting the device to figure it all out for you on default settings... Bottom line: don't re-calibrate a device that you've already sort-of calibrated. It doesn't do you any good, and it probably will hurt your profile. You CAN do the RGB if you REALLY want, but, it REALLY won't do much to improve the end result... It can, according to xrite, make things worse.

5000K is right; as is 2.2 Gamma. Do the calibration in pitch dark.. I found that it helped with the i1Display2.. The i1Pro doesn't matter as much, but, they are quite a bit more expensive.

If you're using a laptop, use the laptop setting: not the LCD setting.

Things WILL look different--but, that's what it's supposed to do! :) Dgrin's background is pitch black. The HEX code is #000000; so, if it looks something other than black, you've not calibrated it well.

David
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2008
    When I do easy things look awesome. When I do advance, my display looks horrible. Am I good with just easy?