Options

Going to Boston, and NY need suggestions

Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
edited August 10, 2008 in Location, Location, Location!
Going on a family trip to visit family in NY, doing 3 nights and two days in Boston first. We're doing the Freedom Trail and Fenway for sure, maybe the Duck Tour as well. Then one night and two days in NY to visit with my Aunt. Statue of Liberty and the visit with my Aunt are all that is scheduled. The priority is the kids to visit with my Aunt. I would like to have input on photo ops, I'll be lugging my 20D, and lens's around (see my list below). I'm thinking of buying a nice Lowepro backpack. So any all suggestions welcome. Thanks
5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
http://www.happyvalleyphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    What types of photography, are you interested in? Cityscape?, city life? Parks? Bridges/architecture? ect
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    What types of photography, are you interested in? Cityscape?, city life? Parks? Bridges/architecture? ect
    That'll do for a start :D . On a serious note, in matter of priority, 1)cityscape, 2)bridges/architecture, 3)city life, parks. This trip is mostly for the kids to see my aunt. The only time she has seen them is when she had to come out to bury my dad, her brother, it wasn't a real family visit kind of trip. She has been so wonderful to kids over the years without really having met them. So I'm not really going to go out of my way for photo ops, but if there is something along the way, sure would'nt want to miss it. My wife has been to Boston and loved it, hence the extra days there. My Aunt isn't as mobile as she used to be, so she won't be exploring the City with us. Thanks
    5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    You really cant go wrong in NYC, tons to photograph.... Spend some time in central park, you will love it. The Zoo is very nice as well. I just got back a couple weeks ago shooting an event. Since you didnt post pics I guess I willmwink.gif

Kevin Robinson new world record.
    27ftS.jpg

Central park ZOO
    twintipS.jpg

Brooklyn Bridge
    BB3panoS.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    Brooklyn Bridge
    Ok, so let me ask this, where is a good vantage point for the Brooklyn Bridge? Won't have too much time for the park or zoo. I do like bridges though. I didn't post pics because this is more of a fact gathering thread. Maybe I posted it in the wrong spot...
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Boston is a great town with a ton of photo opportunities. Make sure you head down to the Charles River. Best starting point is the Red Line to the Charles/MGH stop. Then walk along the Longfellow bridge to get a great view....
    112391328_aa8Us-M.jpg

From there you could walk back toward the T station and then down Charles Street to the Boston Common. Walk through the Common to Newbury street and then head over to Copley Square
    70667212_YgvXu-M.jpg

That's a good start at least...
    Enjoy!

More here: http://www.orenphotography.com/gallery/2959308_VHWUB/1/70667212_YgvXu#70667212_YgvXu
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    Ok, so let me ask this, where is a good vantage point for the Brooklyn Bridge?
    Brooklyn side there's a park at the base...

96814803_k3M2A-L-16.jpg
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Hi Grumpy,

I just noticed this thread could be better placed in Locations^3 so I moved it for you. thumb.gif

Have a fantastic trip! In these cities there's no end of things to shoot.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Brooklyn side there's a park at the base...
    thumb.gif Amazingly enough, called Brooklyn Bridge Park
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2008
    Lightning from the Empire
    Snapped this one tonite, coulndn't wait to post, rest of the trip will come soon. I got bumped while trying to steady camera, no tripods allowed. Lightning was sharp though.
    343980285_9usci-L.jpg
  • Options
    susanbudgesusanbudge Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    I love Boston. Try to get up to the Prudential Tower observation deck at dusk. Lots for your aunt to see without having to go far yet lots of photo ops for you.
    My husband wanted to go on a whale watch. I wasn't keen but enjoyed the trip out and the views of the shoreline from the boat more than I expected.
    The holocaust memorial was very moving (and photgenic) too.
    Have a good time, I'm envious.
  • Options
    VoguesVogues Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    Some Boston ideas:

The North End is cute old Italian restaurants (brick and cobble stone) and lots of old Italian men sitting out in front of restaurants-- interesting portraits there.

Anywhere along the Charles River is beautiful.

Newbury Street has some great shopping and people watching.

Boston Commons is a nice place to spend the day and the nice pictures are only a bonus.

Have fun:)