Options

Summer Love- Beach Wedding

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited August 10, 2008 in Weddings
Yes, I live about 5 hours from a beach...however, last Monday I was contacted about photographing one in Gulf Shores , Alabama. Luckily...for me...I was able to free myself up for the weekend. My plan was to document their entire weekend since the ceremony would only last ten or so minutes. It was fun. It was tiring. I was glad to get back home Sunday night...but it was maybe a one time opportunity for me.

There are an awful lot of images in this post, my apologies, it was a long weekend.

1-Friday night was filled with go-carts, and a two family sized game of gooney-golf...This is the bride to be.
346140977_TBwDF-S.jpg

2- ...and the groom
346141815_p7XB5-S-1.jpg

3-
346142445_UCsGn-M-1.jpg

4-
346144636_LxSKH-M-1.jpg

5-
346145347_QRPRN-M-1.jpg

6- I went with her Mid-day Saturday to meet him and his family at the beach. This was a productive trip for me...as I learned that lenses would fog much worse there than in Baton Rouge. It took almost an hour for the inside of the lens to clear up. I used this lesson to go put all of my gear in my car with the bag open an hour before the wedding to give everything a chance to warm up.
346145886_NtFiQ-M-1.jpg

7-
346146379_2M5v8-M-1.jpg

8-Nearly Show-Time
346146866_2e9iZ-M-1.jpg

9-
346147326_SGks7-M-1.jpg

346147740_ZkBpE-S-1.jpg

11-
346149058_Dz3qF-M-1.jpg

12-
346149633_bFtZL-L-1.jpg

13-
346150435_cXxtD-L-1.jpg

14-
346151696_bNTLm-M-1.jpg

15-
346152324_tvMMk-L-1.jpg

16-Credit Scott Quier with this....(I still need to clone out people in background...yes)
346152805_wC9oX-M-1.jpg

17-
346154012_iNyTi-M-1.jpg

346154316_4ptQu-M-1.jpg

346156850_LfEJh-M-1.jpg

20-...and of course I always grab an exit shot. This is my favorite of the weekend.

346139672_siXPc-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    great job!
    you really controlled the lighting which can be a really tough thing to do. clap.gif
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Wow
    Jeff -

This is Really High End Album quality stuff or Canvas 30x40 on the wall.

I always like your work...but these are another step up the ladder for you.

Pretty soon you will speak on the platform at PPA or WPPI on how to do it!

Keep it up. You rock!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    I really like these and the newlyweds may not want you to do this....I would remove the high-rise out of the last shot.
  • Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    I am running out of adjectives to describe your work!
    consistant quality as usual
    Jaye
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Great work! I bet theres a 100 more of the same quality, very nice.
  • Options
    ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Great work Jeff, knew you could do it. That is quite a wait on those lenses. Never had experience with that before. Great info to keep in mind. How did you expose the group shot? Beautiful job on all the beach pictures. I really can't pick a favorite, they are all nicely done. I sure do like the exit picture though. They should be extremely happy with the documentation of their wedding.
    LadyTX
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    15-
    346152324_tvMMk-Th-1.jpg

Careful in your posing - the woman third from our right, she's facing the wrong way, which uh, makes her stand out even more.

Good job, nice series - the client should be very happy!
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    clap.gif Very nice photos, as always!!!! Yeah, #20 got to be my favorite as well, but would try to take out the building on the right ...

I like the ceremony photos as well! .... Haha, how did you do running around on the sand (with the camera equipment)?? :D Was it quite a sand-work-out??

How cool to be called in to a wedding 5h away!! Congrats!! thumb.gif Don't you dare expanding into the MA wedding area, haha .... I'm scared!
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    6 is a great looking photo, almost has a Leica/rangefinder look to it.

9 is a great PJ moment, you're doing awesome on the getting ready shots. (taking notes!!)

13 is a gorgeous angle on her, love the light and the processing. Can you describe this light setup?

and of course 20 is well above and beyond the average bear. You are developing quite an eye for squeezing the most elegant yet honest moments out of wedding days.

Congrats on nailing it, and continuing to improve your work by leaps and bounds. I have to say you are a great example of someone who really learned the fundamentals backwards and forwards, and then when they become second nature work just as hard at using those tools to develop your artistic sensibility and style. Bravo, Jeff!
    clap.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    dangin wrote:
    great job!
    you really controlled the lighting which can be a really tough thing to do. clap.gif

Thanks but...

The lighting very much controlled what I did as there was an abundance of it for the wedding afternoon. I used flash all the way except for the last 3 in this post.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Jeff -

This is Really High End Album quality stuff or Canvas 30x40 on the wall.

I always like your work...but these are another step up the ladder for you.

Pretty soon you will speak on the platform at PPA or WPPI on how to do it!

Keep it up. You rock!

I fully intend for it to be a priority that they get a large print of the exit shot. I was freakin' screamin when it peeked back at me through the viewfinder. I showed it to the MOB late that night at the hotel. She flushed with tears and asked....."how did you do that"...."I was there and didn't see that?".....this was viewing the original exposure on the camera LCD.

I do have a vision...and while I am not quite caught up to it (yet!), I graciously accept your praise. I'm definately no public speaker though....rolleyes1.gif maybe kareoke?
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    Idlewild wrote:
    I really like these and the newlyweds may not want you to do this....I would remove the high-rise out of the last shot.

Thanks. I already have a version without it, and also another where I replaced the high rise with a beach house on stilts that I borrowed from another shot that day. There were several people on the beach beyond them that have also been removed.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    jayegirl wrote:
    I am running out of adjectives to describe your work!
    consistant quality as usual

Thanks Jaye!

How 'bout.....good enough? will do in a pinch?
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    Great work Jeff, knew you could do it. That is quite a wait on those lenses. Never had experience with that before. Great info to keep in mind. How did you expose the group shot? Beautiful job on all the beach pictures. I really can't pick a favorite, they are all nicely done. I sure do like the exit picture though. They should be extremely happy with the documentation of their wedding.

Yes quite a wait. This was on the Tamron which I used for the majority of the ceremony shots. I am not sure how a Canon lens would have reacted since I only had the Tamron....and then took the step to prevent re-occurance later.

As for exposure. I got there 5 minutes before the bride and walked down to the set-up. I shot 3 or 4 frames at ISO100 and F4 to meter the shot....scooting my histogram info to the right each time until I got as close as I could with no blinkies(blown highlights). I also fired a flash in that shot according to the EXIF, but doubt it made much difference. I basically set exposure for the background with no one there, and then adjusted to prevent a blown highlight.

One mis-step. I had my Tamron on camera and was shooting manual through a polorizer during the ceremony. I had an 85mm in my pocket that I switched to half through the ceremony...also with a polorizer. When switching I did not realize that the filter on the 85 wasn't as dense...by at least 1/3 of a stop. I over cooked a handful of images before I chimped to the histogram and realized my folly. They weren't so bad that they could not be recovered in the raw editor, but I was ticked that I had not chimped immediately after swapping glass. It was so bright I couldn't view an image on the LCD at that time....but luckily had left the histogram view up which I could see quite easily. I attribute that mistake to being part of my first experience with polorizers...and will be prepared if I ever need to use them again!
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Careful in your posing - the woman third from our right, she's facing the wrong way, which uh, makes her stand out even more.

Good job, nice series - the client should be very happy!

Thanks Andy. You are right. I agree. I shoulda seen it as it transpired and not in post edit. I still get intimidated with LARGE groups of people!
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    clap.gif Very nice photos, as always!!!! Yeah, #20 got to be my favorite as well, but would try to take out the building on the right ...
    How could I go wrong with the excellent coaching you gave me?
    I have versions with and without the building...and even one with a different more interesting building.
    I like the ceremony photos as well! .... Haha, how did you do running around on the sand (with the camera equipment)?? :D Was it quite a sand-work-out??

Sand was a pain. I took every precaution and still came home with a bag full. No running here....except a 1000 yard dash when my CF card ran dry as I was doing post wedding photos of the two of them. I might seriously change my strategies in the sand. I am too old for all that exercise! I coulda used an assistant, but couldn't talk a soul into going with me?
    How cool to be called in to a wedding 5h away!! Congrats!! thumb.gif Don't you dare expanding into the MA wedding area, haha .... I'm scared!
    [/QUOTE]

It was very cool. Very flattering as well. No. Nothing planned in MA. ...but you certainly have nothing to fear...from any other photographer! The quality of your work sells you!
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    6 is a great looking photo, almost has a Leica/rangefinder look to it.

Now we are on the same page!!thumb.gif
    9 is a great PJ moment, you're doing awesome on the getting ready shots. (taking notes!!)

My daughters have given me plenty of practice here with every high school dance they ever attended. It is one of my favorite parts of the wedding day.
    13 is a gorgeous angle on her, love the light and the processing. Can you describe this light setup?
    No set-up at all is the set up. All natural light from the hotel room window. It was a wall to wall window with the drapes pulled half way across the room. I was on top of the luggage cradle thingy and shooting from slightly higher than her. No flash.

Heres one from the other direction.
    346574780_V3dF9-M.jpg
    and of course 20 is well above and beyond the average bear. You are developing quite an eye for squeezing the most elegant yet honest moments out of wedding days.

You already know I am HAPPY about that shot!
    Congrats on nailing it, and continuing to improve your work by leaps and bounds. I have to say you are a great example of someone who really learned the fundamentals backwards and forwards, and then when they become second nature work just as hard at using those tools to develop your artistic sensibility and style. Bravo, Jeff!
    clap.gif

Aw Shucks....you know what I always say.....Today the windshield....tommorrow the bug!

Thanks Lynne.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    The corrected parting shot...

346709092_sFFTV-L-1.jpg

...and a sillouette...

347317939_wegLo-XL-1.jpg
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Oh! Very cool! clap.gif Did you try spot-de-saturating her dress in the 1st one (of the new 2 photos)? ... sometimes it looks nice when the dress looks "blue-ish" ... try it & have a look which one will work better (if you haven't already). mwink.gif

Love the strong contrast in the 2nd one ....!

"I coulda used an assistant, but couldn't talk a soul into going with me?"

Yeah tell me! My husband (who joins me occasionally at my weddings) refused to come with me to a wedding on a Caribbean island the last time .... !!!! headscratch.gif No joke ...., they even offered to pay for his ticket!!!! umph.gif
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    The corrected parting shot...

...and a sillouette...

Oh wow! These are amazing! Congrats on a very successful wedding.

Loving the sillouette and the walking away shot. They are both... yum!
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Oh! Very cool! clap.gif Did you try spot-de-saturating her dress in the 1st one (of the new 2 photos)? ... sometimes it looks nice when the dress looks "blue-ish" ... try it & have a look which one will work better (if you haven't already). mwink.gif

Love the strong contrast in the 2nd one ....!

"I coulda used an assistant, but couldn't talk a soul into going with me?"

Yeah tell me! My husband (who joins me occasionally at my weddings) refused to come with me to a wedding on a Caribbean island the last time .... !!!! headscratch.gif No joke ...., they even offered to pay for his ticket!!!! umph.gif

Ha...the carib?.....Next time, you should let us bid on that plane ticket to assist you!!! I am sure some experienced wedding photogs would line up for that opportunity!

Thanks for looking. The WB on the dark side of the dress was indeed quite blue in the original.

The second is something I was working on for a contest entry elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    Oh wow! These are amazing! Congrats on a very successful wedding.

Loving the sillouette and the walking away shot. They are both... yum!

Yum?rolleyes1.gif

That's a heck of a crit huh?....rolleyes1.gif

Thanks HF. I am bound and determined to be as good as you at this (someday)!!!
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Yum?rolleyes1.gif

That's a heck of a crit huh?....rolleyes1.gif

Thanks HF. I am bound and determined to be as good as you at this (someday)!!!

Funny, that is what I always think about you. I guess we can just go on inspiring everyone mutually. Just think how good we'll get!

(yes, yum.)
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    Great set as usual, you got a realllly beautifully clear sky, looks great in the shots!
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Great set as usual, you got a realllly beautifully clear sky, looks great in the shots!

Thanks.

It has rained all day Friday and had us all worried. There was no alternate plan!

The clear sky looked great in the wedding shots, but I wished for something more dramatic in those where I was facing westward...such as the parting shot. Featurless and bright...not a photogenic combination. To the east was okay, but there were a LOT of beach goers in that direction that evening.