Options

why is the lens hood so big?

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited April 11, 2005 in Technique
im trying to make sense of using the canon 100 mm macro. ok i do understand that there is a very narrow DOF and it gets even narrower the closer you get to the subject. so it makes ense to me that i have to use smaller aperatures. Go even closer and it seems light becomes an issue. I have the correct lens hood but why is it so big, makes me think i should not even use the lens hood. i also understand that the lens hood protects and is useful against flare / glare. So my question is use it or lose it?
i guess im just trying to see if not using the lens hood might help ....

troy

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    I don't think the lens hood is so much for macro as it is for non-macro work.

For macro work, you are better off using a flag between the light and the lens to prevent lens flare.

If you are shooting portraits outside during the day, the lens hood will be very convenient to use.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    oh why didnt i think of that! you see i think of it as a MACRO lens and for no other purpose. i forgot it can be used for other purposes....
    duh!!!! if i had a smilie of a dunce, id put it next to my name

thanx Shay!

I don't think the lens hood is so much for macro as it is for non-macro work.

For macro work, you are better off using a flag between the light and the lens to prevent lens flare.

If you are shooting portraits outside during the day, the lens hood will be very convenient to use.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    I can't understand what your problem with the hood is. Does it get in the way? It seems you think the hood is keeping you from getting enough light, and if you didn't have it your exposures would be different. I can think of few reasons to not use a hood. But if you think that removing the hood will let more light into the lens, technically you are correct, because it does so by design. Any light that would get past the hood if it were not installed is light that does NOT add anything to the image. All it can do is degrade the image due to extraneous light bouncing around the lens. I can't think of any time that not using the hood would improve your image.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu