Options

Lens Problem

DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
edited April 11, 2005 in Cameras
Looking for ideas before I send the lens in for service. These shots were taken with a 28-70 f2.8 afs Nikor. I normally use this lens for portrait and closer work but was shooting with my new D2X and found that the lens would not auto-focus to infinity. I could manually complete the focus and take the shot. See the examples below (large so you can see the difference).

Any ideas? First one is straight auto-focus:
19341423-L.jpg

This one is manual focus following auto:
19341403-L.jpg

Deacon

Comments

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    Back-focus and front-focus can be an issue with some cameras. My Canon liked to focus a little bit behind where it was supposed to look. It appears yours focuses in front. I'd take in the lens and the camera. In fact I took in all my gear to Canon and they made sure the body and lenses matched one another. Could it be the D2X? Any trouble with other lenses? What about the 28-70 on another body?
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    testing
    Thanks for the input. I tried it on two other camera's and they all did the same thing so I am pretty sure it is the lens. It's packaged up and will be sent in tomorrow....

Deacon
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    Hey Deacon,

I was having problems with my 300mm's AF and my new D2H. It would stop focusing at various times. I cleaned off the lens' contacts with a clean cloth and haven't had a problem since then.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2005
    Success, maybe
    Harry,

Funny thing, I spent the morning cleaning the cameras top to bottom. Had to be a lens problem because it did it on all the cleaned cameras... headscratch.gif

Gosh, the meaning of contacts mean something touches something else. Went back and cleaned the lens contacts and the lens appears to be focusing to infinity. It is o dark thirty out right now so I will confirm in the am. Thanks for the foot plant.

Deacon thumb.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Deacon wrote:
    Harry,

Funny thing, I spent the morning cleaning the cameras top to bottom. Had to be a lens problem because it did it on all the cleaned cameras... headscratch.gif

Gosh, the meaning of contacts mean something touches something else. Went back and cleaned the lens contacts and the lens appears to be focusing to infinity. It is o dark thirty out right now so I will confirm in the am. Thanks for the foot plant.

Deacon thumb.gif
    got my fingers crossed for you. Let us know the final outcome.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2005
    Wishful Thinking
    Well, it was dark last night...same problem this morning. So packed up the lens and its off to Nikon. I had emailed them the information Sunday and I had an email response about 9 am this morning. I quite frankly was very impressed that the response was so quick.

They made all the same suggestions I have tried and offered to send me the packing label/shipping but I had already sent it off. Its nice having a 5 year warranty on their DX lenses. Now lets see what the turn around time is going to be.

Watch for future events rolleyes1.gif

Deacon
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 11, 2005
    Good move Deacon thumb.gifthumb.gif

In looking at your initial post, I can't see anything in sharp focus in the AF shot ne_nau.gif Whereas, everything was in sharp focus in the MF shot. It might be an infinity issue, as you say. But to me it looks like something inside the lens (an element or spacer) might have moved just a bit, causing softness in the entire image.

I might just be blind too.....lol Anyhow, I was glad to read that you're letting the pros take care of it clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2005
    Lens Mechanic
    Yea, thought about taking it apart and seeing how it works. I got some of dem little screwdrivers and a hammer! Missing that little dohickey that takes the whatchamacallit off though, so what the heck.

Seems like I miss all the fun...

Deacon