Options

Bug or Feature Request: Preserve EXIF

leadZEROleadZERO Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited August 12, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I just noticed that the EXIF details are not preserved in watermarked resizes. While it can be viewed on SmugMug, if you use one of the URLs to post to another forum there is not metadata. EXIF would be nice, but IPTC copyright details are a must.
Ryan P Sommers
http://www.rpsommers.com/

Canon 5D Mk II

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Hi, it's not a bug. Here's more on how to post to forums and such, for those that need it:

http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/How+To+See+Exif

I'd love for certain IPTC copyright info to be there as well. It's not, presently, all of this is for performance reasons. Of course, your originals retain that.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Did they remove the EXIF data from generated sizes or just recently stopped
    adding it? The last few days new photos in new galleries do not have the
    data embedded in the photo. It was there in the past. Last preserved data
    one in this gallery was 7-23-08. Every photo with a watermark was grabbed,
    usually in LB, by sliding a large size to the desktop with right click temporally off.

Not referring to originals but generated sizes, large in this case, which I steal
    from myself :D and upload to another site so the watermark is present and
    until recently the exif data.11doh.gif
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Did they remove the EXIF data from generated sizes or just recently stopped
    adding it? The last few days new photos in new galleries do not have the
    data embedded in the photo. It was there in the past. Last preserved data
    one in this gallery was 7-23-08. Every photo with a watermark was grabbed,
    usually in LB, by sliding a large size to the desktop with right click temporally off.

Not referring to originals but generated sizes, large in this case, which I steal
    from myself :D and upload to another site so the watermark is present and
    until recently the exif data.11doh.gif
    As far as I know, the display sizes never had all the exif embedded.

Can you link me to one of the photos that has all the exif embedded? I tried a few of your L sized photos, and they had no exif embedded:

20080812-c6pu8gtbgqpm5gdfcq1uj2t3qa.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    As far as I know, the display sizes never had all the exif embedded.

Can you link me to one of the photos that has all the exif embedded? I tried a few of your L sized photos, and they had no exif embedded:

20080812-c6pu8gtbgqpm5gdfcq1uj2t3qa.jpg
    Two samples, a month apart.
    This one and this one has a WM so it's not from the original and both have exif
    data. I had dragged it from this photo and this photo (FF) in Smugmug style
    or LB to my desktop then uploaded to other site (Flock). I was logged in
    and had temporarily turned off right click otherwise you get the gif.

Weird part is the grabbed photo filename has both photo No. & image file name.
    314589112_3cdeu-L.jpg
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Two samples, a month apart.
    This one and this one has a WM so it's not from the original and both have exif
    data. I had dragged it from this photo and this photo (FF) in Smugmug style
    or LB to my desktop then uploaded to other site (Flock). I was logged in
    and had temporarily turned off right click otherwise you get the gif.

Weird part is the grabbed photo filename has both photo No. & image file name.
    314589112_3cdeu-L.jpg
    I still don't get the exif data when I do that ne_nau.gif can you grab those images that you get (with the exif data) and email them to me? I think you have my email address, if not, let me know, please.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    I still don't get the exif data when I do that ne_nau.gif can you grab those images that you get (with the exif data) and email them to me? I think you have my email address, if not, let me know, please.
    I went to one of the photos (copied large) that shows exif data in photobar.
    Did an owner save and no exif data was there in the original. So some how
    the phantom exif data was transerred but not in the file.headscratch.gif
    do do do do
    :s85
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I'd love for certain IPTC copyright info to be there as well. It's not, presently, all of this is for performance reasons.

While I do understand the reasoning of performance concerns, I think many of us would sacrifice performance to preserve our IPTC copyright info. I made the unfortunate mistake of assuming it was preserved, until another site grabbed a bunch of photos off my blog for commercial use. I thought they had also stripped my copyright info until I realized that the photos posted on my blog were already stripped of the IPTC info.

Basically, posting our Smuggy photos to our blogs (another forum, any place on the web) is creating potential Orphan Works, and that is not a good thing.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    While I do understand the reasoning of performance concerns, I think many of us would sacrifice performance to preserve our IPTC copyright info. I made the unfortunate mistake of assuming it was preserved, until another site grabbed a bunch of photos off my blog for commercial use. I thought they had also stripped my copyright info until I realized that the photos posted on my blog were already stripped of the IPTC info.

Basically, posting our Smuggy photos to our blogs (another forum, any place on the web) is creating potential Orphan Works, and that is not a good thing.

I agree. Copyright EXIF info should be preserved among all sizes (except maybe thumbs). While it would be extra coding work for Smugmug when creating the new sizes to pull out just the copyright info and keep that, I have a hard time believing that it makes much of a run-time performance difference when serving the images. The copyright EXIF alone isn't that large relative to the image itself.

The only work-around at the moment, is to resize before uploading to the web size needed for posting and then post a link to the original in blogs, etc... That will then have all EXIF info in it and be the right size. But, a lot more of a pain then letting Smugmug do all the resizing for you and being able to use previously uploaded full-size images.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question