Options

How can I do this?

SomeGuyWithACameraSomeGuyWithACamera Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited August 12, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I have been using SmugMug as a backup of my photos. Every time I download pictures off my camera, I create a new gallery and upload them to SmugMug. I currently have all of these set to private.

I would like to share some photos in these galleries with others while leaving the rest set to private, so that only myself and family members can see them. For example, I have a gallery called Outer Banks 2008 or something with about 600 photos. Most of these are blurry photos of me chasing my two year old around that only want to share with my family by sending them a link, however I also have what I think are nice shots that I would like to share with the world.

Is there an easy way to do this with creating a new public gallery and re-uploading the photos?

Comments

• Options
    PeterPeter Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    I have been using SmugMug as a backup of my photos. Every time I download pictures off my camera, I create a new gallery and upload them to SmugMug. I currently have all of these set to private.

I would like to share some photos in these galleries with others while leaving the rest set to private, so that only myself and family members can see them. For example, I have a gallery called Outer Banks 2008 or something with about 600 photos. Most of these are blurry photos of me chasing my two year old around that only want to share with my family by sending them a link, however I also have what I think are nice shots that I would like to share with the world.

Is there an easy way to do this with creating a new public gallery and re-uploading the photos?

You mean "Is there an easy way to do this without creating a new public gallery and re-uploading the photos?" ? Unless I'm totally wrong, NO. You need to create a new gallery and either have that one private or share as public. Certainly would be less confusing that way anyhow . . .

Peter
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Hi SomeGuy,

Welcome to Digital Grin wave.gif

It's not possible to share some photos with the world, and still hide others but share them with a limited group, if all those photos are in the same gallery.

You need to make multiple galleries for that.

You can create one gallery to share with your family, and one containing a part of the shots in a different one to share with the world; This would mean you have to upload those shots twice. Not a problem, really.

You can also make two separate galleries. One with the fuzzy-kid-chasing shots only, and one with the 'better' shots only. Share both with your family, and only the 'better' ones with the world.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions thumb.gif
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    You will need to make a new gallery but you don't need to upload everything twice.

Another option that doesn't require re-uploading is to use the "copy" function on the photo in smugmug, then "move" function to move the photo to the open gallery.

If that sounds like a good option let me know and I can give you more details if you need help. The copy and move functions are in the Photo dropdown under each photo.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Hi Gang,

There's a program called NitroDesk that will let you either copy or move photos from one gallery to another just by dragging and dropping them.

I'm surprised that this program doesn't generate more buzz than it does ... it's quite versatile and makes life so much easier.

Disclaimer: I am not connected to this program in any way. I'm just passing on the info.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged