Newbie shots from Sebring

DravenGSXDravenGSX Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited April 5, 2004 in Technique
I am new to photography and looking for advice. These photos are from the 12 Hours of Sebring this year. They were taken with a Kodak DX6340 p&s without any type of credentials to get closer to the action. Here are what I think are the 5 best. The entire gallery can be found here: http://dravengsx.smugmug.com/gallery/87543/1 .. Thanks in advance for any positive criticism.

3056596-S.jpg

3056657-S.jpg

3056663-S.jpg

3056668-S.jpg

3056761-S.jpg

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2004
    DravenGSX wrote:
    Thanks in advance for any positive criticism.
    What... no thanks in advance for negative criticism???:D

All of the shots are good. All of them seem to be spot on for focus and exposure.

Nice pan work with the first image thumb.gif

I really like the second shot. I think that the picture would work better with the legs on the right side either completely in the image or completely out. Having them against the right edge of the frame distracts from an otherwise very good composition.

Similar comments for the third image. A slight move to your left as you took the image would have kept the nose of the second car out of the frame. However, I think including more of the second car, specifically trying to get more of the wheel in would have created a repetition of shapes that would make the compistion stonger.

The fourth picture is probably my favorite. It would be nice if the objects in the background weren't there, but sometimes you cant get around those things.

I like the fifth image but for some reason it doesn't grab my eye the way the first four do. ne_nau.gif

Nice work! Hope you had fun shooting them.

-Eric
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2004
    You did a nice job with that camera. Good color, sharp images. #3 and #4 for me.... I like the framing. I agree about the nice panning on #1. Dunno about the composition on #2, lots of empty space. ne_nau.gif On purpose? But I do like how the 16 car juts into the image. Nothing wrong with #5, just feels conventional after 3 & 4. JMHO, and I think you did a nice job. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DravenGSXDravenGSX Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2004
    Thanks. I didn't expect such positive responses.

There was a whole lot going on when these pictures were taken. They were taken in the competitors paddock as the cars were making their way onto the grid the morning before the race. Unfortunately, I didn't have the luxury of telling the race teams or course workers to get out of the way. :)

#1) Thanks. There is another good pan shot in the gallery of the winning Audi LMP car on the same stretch of track.

#2) The idea was to get the front wheel of the car behind the 16 car in the same frame. Unfortunately somebody walked into the shot and with all of the action going on around me I couldn't get another attempt.

#3) This one is my favorite. I think it shows some of the excitement around race day morning. The team was rushing to make final adjustments on the car even as they were rolling it into the track.

#4) I liked having the course worker in the frame. Unfortunately, I couldn't politely ask the other fan to back up a bit.....

#5) This one is different because I think the guy in the driver's seat is the subject as opposed to the cars in the other shots. I suppose I should stick to cars, huh?

Thanks again. Your comments have been helpful.

Oh.. and I had a blast shooting them. I will definitely be doing it again next year. Hopefully with a better camera and a photo vest so that I can get on the grid and in the pits.

-Brett.
  • jdellisjdellis Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2004
    Brett:

Thanks for sharing. I'd hoped to go to Sebring this year, but it didn't pan out.

Looks like you had fun!

-jde
  • DravenGSXDravenGSX Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2004
    ALMS is headed to Mid-Ohio this year. (www.americanlemans.com)

If you've never been to an ALMS race, do it. You'll love it.
  • jdellisjdellis Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2004
    Yep, I was there when they ran in '01 & '02. Already have the hotel reservation made for June. :D I usually spend 6-8 weekends up at Mid-Ohio per year.

-jde