Options

My first thread in the official wedding forum

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited August 14, 2008 in Weddings
Ok, so I finished the edits and the upload this afternoon! Whooee. I had to get er all done in a hurry since I have a wedding tomorrow too. I don't know how you folks do it "marathon style" like Agnieszka does on a regular basis.

But I am the most excited about this wedding because I rented the most beautiful lense (from Borrow lenses... with my clubsmug discount BTW)
and I attained the most beautiful bokeh of my life!

It has been my dilemma, which of the amazing Canon 70-200 lenses to get- the lighter one (f4 IS 1lb slow beauty) or the monster one (f2.8 IS almost 4 lb clunker fast lense for around $600 more) So I decided rather than choosing it with the "eenie-meenie-miney-moe" method I'd rent the big one for a couple of weeks (since I need the speed for dark receptions) and see how it went for the weddings I had scheduled during that time. Oh, I had read all the reviews. Seems like I spent days reading them, but to actually attach one to my already lunking 5D with battery pack and possibly strap the 580EXII into the hotshoe.... well it really adds up the pounds and I am just... well, me.. and therefore possibly wimpy sometimes.

My results? I love the speed, and I can manage the weight with a little help from the tripod mount + tripod. What beauty this thing puts out.. I am loving it. (Sorry to wax eloquent about a piece of glass, but in all the world, I bet you guys are the ones to understand.:wink )

Wow, how was that for a short introduction! Way to go Heather!

So anyway, back to the photos. I started out at the salon with the bride and bridesmaids and family. That was a kick! I loved hanging out and having time to get detail shots and some great portraits of the bride.

1. And she is a knockout! Lemme tell ya!
347305333_KZFsY-L-1.jpg

347302048_VrazB-M-1.jpg

3. And she was so brave to let me hang the dress in a tree.
347301712_GpL8Q-L-1.jpg

4. Right out the back of the Salon was a really nice dock on a slow moving creek (Cottonwood Creek) and it was the PERFECT light - nice softbox of a sky, though not lovely to look at in and of itself.347299969_uhSwG-L.jpg

5. Oh.. I forgot to mention that this was my first shoot with an assistant. You all remember my Sis from the hot piano teacher thread? Well, we worked out a trade for all the work I did for her, (I made her a website, and designed a bunch of stuff) she is going to come to my next 3 weddings and be my personal slave/assistant. It was soooo nice for the OCF to have someone hold it instead of having to set up a stand so laboriously.
This lovely photo is a direct result of her amazing assistance. Seriously couldn't have done it without her. And I don't think I'll ever attempt to tackle a wedding without a helper again. It was so nice.
347306019_XTTQc-L.jpg

6. One of the best parts about being female is that I get to get some great photos of the prep part- all the stuff the bride might not be as comfortable with you guys with, and then some. This bride was such a beauty, I had to share just one tasteful shot with ya. This was taken from inside the moterhome outside their wedding venue. They couldn't find a limo, so rented a giant moterhome instead. Very Alaskan, don't you think!?
347401267_nHGjv-L-2.jpg

7. Then I was off to the grooms prep at a somewhat nearby hotel.
347307375_Cy3By-L-1.jpg

8. Shoot, I am at #8, and haven't even begun the good photos. I'll have to cut back. This is one of my favorite photos from the set.
The ring bearer watching the groom shave. It was tough to not be in the shot in the reflection since it had so many mirrors.
347308256_4sck8-L.jpg

9. I hesitate to show this one since it is not one of my best with the flash work. I fried 'em, plain and simple. (Of course it was nearly pitch black in there, and we were on a serious time constraint) But, I think it still somehow works, even with the overbearing shadows and dark everything except the nuclear faces. Well, if I share, then you all can tell me how I screwed up and then I can fix it next time, right!?
347309822_jXuRp-L.jpg

10. Here is another of the bride. I have a ton of georgious pictures of this woman, since she is sooo beautiful.
347316578_v8RyV-M.jpg

11. And the bridesmaid 347316836_QWTZj-L.jpg

12. Check out that bokeh from the 70-200.. Loving it, pure and simple.

347320986_dtaNm-XL.jpg

13. And there has to be a couple dipping shots in there:
347319477_gdUFG-L.jpg

14. Now it takes real skills to dip and kiss at the same time- and not get your gown dirty on the side of the pond...
347319249_P8aDP-L.jpg

15. It is really too bad that he doesn't "like her" at all.
Pitty really.
347322083_pE5yN-L.jpg

15. This is through the glass at their reception hall.
347327576_q3rNL-M.jpg

16. I found some cool shingles on the wall... made for some fun!
347327859_B2CSd-M.jpg

17. Did I mention that I also rented a fisheye? Fun times with that one..
347331415_Sng4p-L.jpg

Ok... fast forward a whole bunch and then come to the father daughter dance. It was really precious. Stink on the DJ for shooting nasty red light swirls everywhere all night.
347368929_wbUUC-L.jpg

19. And then everyone got a little more than tipsy and the party started to get real interesting.
347376977_UeaAR-M.jpg347384528_KCoLu-M.jpg

20. (Notice how I snuck an extra one in there? Pretty sneaky, huh)
I think fisheye is the best lense to use for photos of drunk people. It kindof makes your feel what they are feeling. :rofl :rofl
347383183_yKd2X-M.jpg

Anyway, that is that. It was such a nice wedding since the bride was so lovely and had very little issues for me to have to work around during the day and in post. Sooo nice.

Hope you all enjoyed. C & C always welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    Ok Heather....

I'm on my way to work and quickly scanning your first post. Shot after shot I'm going wow......oh man that rocks...........beeeeyoutifulll!! and then I get to 12, fall off my chair, and realize I can't see the rest, or I'll be late for work!

Seriously, I'm coming back to comment more, but just had to say :jawdrop
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    I have only three comments.

1. WOW - these are beautiful. Wonderful. Fantastic.

2. Having a second shooter really makes life so much easier, doesn't it?

3. On #9 - the one where you nuked the faces - the way to fix that is to either move the flash further from the subjects to reduce the effect light fall-off and/or bounce the light off something to increase the size of the light source.

And, you're right she is absolutely beautiful. Being a guy, I really liked #19mwink.gif
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    Hey Heather,

I really only have 2 comments;

1. These are all jaw-droppingly beautiful - compositions, exposures, processing. You can tell that the participants were having a great time and that there was a great connection between photographer and subjects. thumb.gif

and more importantly...

2. Are all of the women in Alaska this beautiful???? It must be the world's best kept secret! :D You definitely don't see them on Discoveries Deadliest Catch. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    great job capturing those moments!

i'm old fashioned and think #1 & 2 are a bit too hot; but that is the look these days.
    #9 just don't do it again?
    #19 right how's that song go? oh yeah... "she's got legggggsssss!" mwink.gif
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    WONDERFUL!!! clap.gif They will be sooo happy with the result!!! Great work

(Might have to sneak the tie, ring idea .....) Love them all! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Ok Heather....

I'm on my way to work and quickly scanning your first post. Shot after shot I'm going wow......oh man that rocks...........beeeeyoutifulll!! and then I get to 12, fall off my chair, and realize I can't see the rest, or I'll be late for work!

Seriously, I'm coming back to comment more, but just had to say :jawdrop

Hope you weren't late on my account! Don't you hate it when work gets in the way of your forum reading!?

Looking forward to your comments.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    I have only three comments.

1. WOW - these are beautiful. Wonderful. Fantastic.

2. Having a second shooter really makes life so much easier, doesn't it?

3. On #9 - the one where you nuked the faces - the way to fix that is to either move the flash further from the subjects to reduce the effect light fall-off and/or bounce the light off something to increase the size of the light source.

And, you're right she is absolutely beautiful. Being a guy, I really liked #19mwink.gif

Well she wasn't a shooter- she was a flash holder and gear fetcher. It worked out pretty sweeeet. I recommend it.

Good to know how to fix #9-

I am amazed that hotels can have their stairways so dark and the insurance guys don't zap them.

(Oh, and I knew you guys would like #19) It was pretty fun to shoot that beautiful of a person. Shot after shot I would just be amazed at how easy it was. I bet she could make scrubbing the floors look hot! No fair for the rest of us.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Hey Heather,

I really only have 2 comments;

1. These are all jaw-droppingly beautiful - compositions, exposures, processing. You can tell that the participants were having a great time and that there was a great connection between photographer and subjects. thumb.gif

and more importantly...

2. Are all of the women in Alaska this beautiful???? It must be the world's best kept secret! :D You definitely don't see them on Discoveries Deadliest Catch. rolleyes1.gif

Funny you mention the processing. I had a hard time since nearly all the photos stood on their own so beautifully without any fun processing. I had to go back through and add some funk just to make it interesting for the people viewing.

And as to your important question, all of us are that beautiful. It is just that for most of us it is hidden under an ample layer of warmth giving blubber we have so we don't freeze to death in the winter (or this year, the summer). (Oh, and I got to see that boat from discovery's deadliest catch last summer on a cruize- it was even in action!)
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    dangin wrote:
    great job capturing those moments!

i'm old fashioned and think #1 & 2 are a bit too hot; but that is the look these days.
    #9 just don't do it again?
    #19 right how's that song go? oh yeah... "she's got legggggsssss!" mwink.gif

Funny, I have been on the edge of adding some contrast to those. But I keep going back to the way they are.

#9 yeeeees maaaaaster.

#19 yes she does and she definately used them.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    WONDERFUL!!! clap.gif They will be sooo happy with the result!!! Great work

(Might have to sneak the tie, ring idea .....) Love them all! iloveyou.gif

Thanks! I think they are quite happy! (I am too, which is even harder to do!)
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    Very nice! looks like you captured the day perfect! That bokeh is nicemwink.gif

#12 will be on their wall for sure!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    These are all beautiful HF, but 1 and 6 are stunning photographs of her. I like the composition in 12, but I think that F2.8 bit you there as he appears out of focus. May faves are 15 and 16. Super nice!

I have officially done enough photography rlated favors to earn a day of slavery from a photographer friend of mine. I am looking forward to being able to put her to work some day....preferably soon! Looks like sis did a great job too!
  • Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    If any of my kids get married in Alaska, I'm looking you up!
    Jaye
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2008
    cj99si wrote:
    Very nice! looks like you captured the day perfect! That bokeh is nicemwink.gif

#12 will be on their wall for sure!

Thanks! I was mighty pleased!
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I have officially done enough photography rlated favors to earn a day of slavery from a photographer friend of mine. I am looking forward to being able to put her to work some day....preferably soon! Looks like sis did a great job too!

She did- and you are going to love having a "go-fer". It is so convenient to hand something to someone or say go over there, remote lightstand girl.... and lift it juuuust a bit. It is wonderful!
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2008
    jayegirl wrote:
    If any of my kids get married in Alaska, I'm looking you up!

Oh yay! do! (Or if you just happen to come to Alaska, look me up! We love company!)
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Heather.......WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

These are beautifully executed, well seen and oh my goodness.....How'z about I come shoot with you. Great great great concepts, processing and and and......you are rockin!!!!thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Heather.......WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

These are beautifully executed, well seen and oh my goodness.....How'z about I come shoot with you. Great great great concepts, processing and and and......you are rockin!!!!thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Thanks Swartzy! I love it that you like these.