Options

Photo sizes VS Sales

ChillerChiller Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited August 14, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Not sure if this has ever been asked before. Did a quick search but could not see. :scratch :scratch Anyways, I have started to sell some images, unfortunatly not on Smug, but outside of the internet world. One question that has come up with a few people was photo sizes I had for sale. I just used the default setting so all the sizes became available for sale here.
What Im curious about is, when I take a photo with my camera, and was to print it, without editing, the size would be 4X6/8X12 and so on. To get a 8X10 for instance some cropping would be needed, but I would risk losing parts of the photo.
How do others get around this. Do you not offer that size for sale, or do you have mulitple sized photos available.
Just wondering.

Thanks to all who read and reply to this. I appreciate it in advance.

Comments

• Options
    PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    I just crop the photo. I think the only options are to crop or not offer that size.
  • Options
    grickettsgricketts Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    8x12 and Ratio of Photos
    If you are using a digital, or 35mm film camera, the ratio of the photos taken is 3x2. That's why the 4x6, 8x12, and some others print without cropping any of the photo.

If you want to control the cropping and sell 8x10 prints, you need to "pre-crop" your photos to the 8x10 print size and post those.

Hoped this helped a little bit. Had the same quandary when I first started.
    http://gricketts.smugmug.com
    www.gricketts.com
    "The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2008
    Thanks so much. I appreciate both your replies. thumb.gifthumb.gif It was a little strange, cause some people wanted 8x10s of a certain photo, as they already had the frame, and needed the photo. Unfortunatly, the original photo could not be cropped without losing some important details.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Chiller wrote:
    Thanks so much. I appreciate both your replies. thumb.gifthumb.gif It was a little strange, cause some people wanted 8x10s of a certain photo, as they already had the frame, and needed the photo. Unfortunatly, the original photo could not be cropped without losing some important details.

Thanks again.

The 8x10 size is the worst matched print size for an image from a 3:2 ratio camera. You lose 20% off the long end of your image to fit into an 8x10 (the native size is 8x12 so to get to an 8x10, you have to lose 2" off the long end).

If you like to shoot tight (like I do), then it will be common to have troubles getting an 8x10 out of some images. Your only other alternative is to shoot looser (leaving empty space on the long edge) to allow more room for cropping to an 8x10.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2008
    John, I appreciate your comments. I shoot tight, and with a lot of my street shots, if I crop, I end up with a lot of chopped off objects. Im trying to talk the people interested into going for the 8x12....so far losing the battle.
    Since most of my images are purchased after they are shot, and not before, I dont really know what images will sell. headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
    Thanks again for your time. Means a lot to me. thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Chiller wrote:
    John, I appreciate your comments. I shoot tight, and with a lot of my street shots, if I crop, I end up with a lot of chopped off objects. Im trying to talk the people interested into going for the 8x12....so far losing the battle.
    Since most of my images are purchased after they are shot, and not before, I dont really know what images will sell. headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
    Thanks again for your time. Means a lot to me. thumb.gifthumb.gif

For completeness, there is one other possibility. On some photos, you can add some width to the photo in fairly advanced post processing. It's usually a lot of work in order to do it well and it can only be done on some photos (it depends upon what is on the sides), but occasionally you can add more background or stretch the existing background to make the short dimension of the image wider. Making it wider allows you to make it into a 5:4 aspect ratio photo which can print 8x10 without cropping. If this is a money making endeavor, then it likely won't be worth your time because the 8x10 sale (if it's even feasible) likely won't be worth the time it takes do the post processing.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2008
    Thanks again John. Seems like it could be a future idea. I think now I know for any future inquiries. Bit of a drag when I cropped a photo and lost a hand. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    If I'm cropping a 4x6 I'll also open the 8x10 crop to see if anythings cut off
    and readjust the 4x6 so the 8x10 can be selected. Or just upload a 8x10
    crop also. Esp. in family groups were most will only get 4x6's but would make a great 8x10 or 5x7.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    TxTortoiseTxTortoise Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2008
    You can crop to 1600x2166 or flipped. This will enable a suitable crop at 4x6, 5x7, or 8x10. It's a pain with Aperture since there's no preset for cropping, but it's a good solution for those sizes.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2008
    Thank you so much Allen and Ralph. Your comments and suggestions are very much appreciated. thumb.gifthumb.gif