Options

Alyssa

PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
edited August 16, 2008 in People
This is the first time I've ever tried shots with an amature model (or any model, for that matter!). Alyssa used to work with me and has since become a personal trainer. She was interested in trying her hand at some fitness modeling, but also wanted some images to market her personal training business.

Most of these images are basically straight out of the camera, except the first two (which I think I'm done processing). The rest only had very rough adjustments for exposure, color balance, and crop.

This was a first for me. So, as always, your comments, suggestions, and criticisms are greatly desired!

1:
347901006_G9NTo-M.jpg

2:
347901578_hvR22-M.jpg

3:
347900861_ZUWgB-M.jpg

4:
347900942_FJVfn-M.jpg

5: (the obligatory ab shot)
347900851_nYNiZ-M.jpg

6: (Had to keep telling myself, "Your frame, Phil. Pay attention to your frame!" I obviously didn't pay enough attention to the frame...) :bash I'll clean it up in post.
347901521_ratZL-M.jpg

7:
347901785_frhnc-M.jpg

8: (still needs leveling)
347901066_bcaAb-M.jpg

9: (for fun)
347901104_rD2ND-M.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Phil Collum
Phil Collum Photography
San Diego, CA, USA
Equipment list in my profile

Comments

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    Nice job in general though I might edit out a couple. There's one where her ribs are REALLY showing which generally isn't a fitness look.

Also, the craze right now for commercial fitness is more glossy (you can use spray on pam on skin to make it more shiny-- a spray bottle on top of that can be cool too). And the lighting I see in the ads and magazines seems more moody-- rim lights on each side and more of a polished feel than your shots.

But really-- nice job by you and the model. thumb.gif Now that you have experience, your next shoot will be even better. :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    #'s 1 & 2 are great! She has beautiful eyes!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Nice series! Keep it going! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    1, 2, 5, 7 are great, the rest just OK. She should love what you did! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    REally nice series Phil!!thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Nice job in general though I might edit out a couple. There's one where her ribs are REALLY showing which generally isn't a fitness look.

Also, the craze right now for commercial fitness is more glossy (you can use spray on pam on skin to make it more shiny-- a spray bottle on top of that can be cool too). And the lighting I see in the ads and magazines seems more moody-- rim lights on each side and more of a polished feel than your shots.

But really-- nice job by you and the model. thumb.gif Now that you have experience, your next shoot will be even better. :D

Thanks, Dogwood! I do have another fitness shoot scheduled for tomorrow morning, and I have high hopes that it will go that much better!! This will be an all-natural-light shoot, but I already have some plans to add some rim lighting and backlighting as appropriate to the image.

Spray on Pam??? Really?!? Yuk! rolleyes1.gifActually I wish I had read your post last weekend, when I was taking "boxing" shots and sprayed the model with water to make him look sweaty. Pam mixed with water probably would have looked way more real... just seems kindof gross and hard to clean up! Well, I guess for tomorrow's shoot she'll be at the beach anyway - so I can always get some shots of her washing off in the waves afterwards!!

Thanks again.
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    Idlewild wrote:
    #'s 1 & 2 are great! She has beautiful eyes!
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice series! Keep it going! thumb.gif
    ShepsMom wrote:
    1, 2, 5, 7 are great, the rest just OK. She should love what you did! thumb.gif
    Art Scott wrote:
    REally nice series Phil!!thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Thanks, everyone. I have another fitness model shoot tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to several improvements!
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    For your next boxing shoot, check out these tips (first half): http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=qVbhcBjq4xM :D
  • Options
    snowalkersnowalker Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2008
    #9 definitely. anyway good jod done. the model is very pretty... iloveyou.gif