Options

My first time shooting a wedding!

jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
edited August 17, 2008 in Weddings
Well two of my very good friends recently got married and since the photographer was a friend of the bride she told me I could follow the photographer around to get some experience as well as some shots for a portfolio. I was really excited about the opportunity and very happy with the shots I got. Comments and criticism is encouraged. Let me know what you think! All the shots were shot with my 30D and all but two I used my 50mm.

1: The Groom with his brother the best man.
2742674099_043076ff92.jpg?v=0

2: The guys getting ready.
2743512498_e205b1ea42.jpg?v=0

3: Bride w/ groomsmen
2742674397_822a68f3ff.jpg?v=0

4: Vice Versa
2743512782_199ac22bb9.jpg?v=0

5: Classic groomsmen shot...
2743512842_19e6ece960.jpg?v=0

6: The happy couple.
2742674191_1c5af3505d.jpg?v=0

7: Musicians.
2742674229_64d3388107.jpg?v=0

8: One of my favs...
2742674277_86eb4fa36f.jpg?v=0

9: The kiss.
2743512686_a8534ce2c0.jpg?v=0

10:No modern wedding would be complete without the jump pic!
2743512892_80edfb1ed2.jpg?v=0

11: First dance.
2742674351_b24f1ac85d.jpg?v=0

After this my wife (far left in pic 10) asked if I could put away the camera and join her on the dance floor so I didn't get any of them leaving or many at the reception but overall I was pretty happy with what I got. Let me know what you guys think!
Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    #2 is under exposed and composition could have been better (cut off the top of his head)

#3 She's over-exposed and the guys under-exposed. But, it's a very nice composiiton - I like it!

#4 The lighting is a bit better here. The composition is a little strange. He's all relaxed while the ladies are much more formally posed. Hmm..

#5 - Good composition though I wonder if you could have reduced the impact of the bright background had you waited a bit?

#6 and #7 - Under-exposed

#8 - That's a keeper - love the expression. Color cast might need some work though.

#9 They are significantly over-exposed

#10 - Background is too bright

#11 - Nice perspective and good capture of the emotion (remember it's all about the emotion!!), but technically, it suffers from underexposure, color cast (red/magenta) and is a bit centered.

All in all, this was a good firt effort and shows a lot of promise for what you can get deliver in the future!
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    Thank you for the comments and criticism Scott! I knew my exposure needed some work, it was one of the first times I had to try and get shots without having "ample" time to check all my settings but thats something I'm working on. My composition on a lot of them was limited because of using the prime and I was trying to stay out of the main photographers way which lead to some different angles than I would have normally used, but I knew that going in... Thanks again and I appreciate the comments!
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

• Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    i've got to echo scott's comments especially about exposure and lighting. i think a couple of things that you may want to play around with and see how they work for you are:

1) bounce flash. this doesn't mean just aiming your flash head straight up. 45 degrees or even off of opposing walls when indoors.
    2) looking for light. shots 3 & 4 really lack this IMO. your foreground and background subjects are about 3 stops off from one another. composing it differently would have helped.
    3) fill flash. would have provided less stark contrast in #10.

i know you mentioned you weren't the hired gun for the wedding so please don't take my comments as being overly critical. one of the things i tell new wedding shooters is look for good light and use it. and when there isn't any, then cheat and fill it in with flash. :D
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    Thanks again for the comments! I'm excited about the next time I have an opportunity to shoot a wedding so I can try and improve my shots. I'll have to play with some of them on photoshop and see if I can get them looking a little better...

• Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    jrmyrnsm wrote:
    Thanks again for the comments! I'm excited about the next time I have an opportunity to shoot a wedding so I can try and improve my shots. I'll have to play with some of them on photoshop and see if I can get them looking a little better...
    Between now and then, practice on anyone that'll stand still for it. It's gotten so bad around my house that my just about runs every time I point a camera in her direction. :D The practice will hold you in good stead when it comes time to again shoot under pressure. Also, practice shooting in full manual mode - you'll get a better appreciation for the relationships between aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    Yeah see what you can do in pp with them. Given your conditions (behind primary, basically a guest with a cam) and what you brought to shoot (one lens, no flash) with, not bad.

George Costanza (Seinfeld), wait I mean Scott, did a good job of critique. Sorry Scott, with that avatar you look like his twin.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    bham wrote:
    George Costanza (Seinfeld), wait I mean Scott, did a good job of critique. Sorry Scott, with that avatar you look like his twin.

Oh Boy......eek7.gif

....:lurk
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2008
    bham wrote:
    OK - I know when I've been slammed. I have lots more hair than he does:D
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    OK - I know when I've been slammed. I have lots more hair than he does:D

I did not mean it as a slam. But the smile and glasses are so much like him. I really wasn't looking at the hair. Yes you have much more than he. Surely I can't be the first to tell you this. Seinfeld is my favorite show.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2008
    bham wrote:
    I did not mean it as a slam. But the smile and glasses are so much like him. I really wasn't looking at the hair. Yes you have much more than he. Surely I can't be the first to tell you this. Seinfeld is my favorite show.
    It's all cool. And, yes, you are the first person to tell me my avitar looks like him.