Options

DEAL: lens at Adorama

MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
edited April 12, 2005 in Flea Market
Adorama for $1399.95.

Link:

http://www.adorama.com/CA70200ISUR.html?searchinfo=refurbished%20Canon%2070-200%20IS&item_no=1

I received mine on Thursday. I wanted to make sure it was legit before I blabbed about it. Sealed Canon box with Canon packing tape and 'refurbished' clearly printed on the outside.

Lens is in very good + condition. No marks on lens body or tripod ring (which is included, along with the hood, case, manual, caps, etc.-NO BOX!). Only a few small scuffs on the hood. Mine did arrive with a rather large spec of dust on the element below the front element. I initially thought it was a 'bubble' but upon further inspection with a magnifying glass I determined it was indeed something like a flake of plastic (probably from when it was reassembled).

BEWARE: Adorama has started using 'upsell' tactics and will send you an email requesting you contact them "about your order". 'Meyer F.' will offer you a warranty, filters, etc. How you handle it is up to you.

But, the lenses are for real as is the price. So far mine appears to be functioning properly-AF, IS, and image quality look 'ok'.

For $1399.95 I thought it was better than buying new for $1699.99 or used from someone.
If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 5, 2005
    The link is dead, and you don't mention what lens this deal is actually for. update your post or I'm just gonna assume its dead and past, and delete the thread.

thanks!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 5, 2005
    Major "DUH!"
    for forgetting that the lens is (WAS) the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS!

Sorry Doc,

I guess I blew this one rolleyes1.gif

You are correct that the link is 'dead', they must have sold them all.

I'll keep my eye out and post the correct information in the future mwink.gif
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Hey, the link is back if anyone's interested??
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Yup link is back. They need to fire their AD Copy editor though cause I don't know what a banon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Image Stabilizer AutoFocus Telephoto Zoom Lens -

is.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2005
    WARNING!!! Just a heads up for my dgrin pals...
    I purchased one of these 'refurbs' and received a very poor copy. Everything *looked* very nice-enamel, hood, case, etc. However, there was a tiny speck of plastic between the front two elements (no big deal really, but it was there), AND after about 100 test shots I found out the lens was defective. When I compared it to my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX, the Sigma trounced the Canon up one focal length and down the other at every aperture rolleyes1.gif . The bokeh highlights were a weird eliptical shape and not the smooth round shape you would expect from such a highly rated lens. I can post samples if anyone would like to see them. Let me know.

I RETURNED my copy to Adorama for a full refund rather than play the exchange game with them.

Not knowing how Adorama handles their returns I want to caution you about ordering one. If you decide to go for it, email me or PM me and I will give you the serial number of my copy *just to be sure* you didn't get my old one.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    For you Nikon lovers, if you ever get a lens that has a little tick mark in front of the serial number, it is refurbished. Not all dealers will tell you that.