Options

New galleries not showing when created via control panel

I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
edited August 18, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I just tried to create a new gallery in my 'projects ' sub categories called 'Forums' but they dont show up - I tried twice
They do showe in the sub category drop down, I tried twice

There IS a subcategory called 'forum now becaue I changed the name of an existing gallery

Problem is I now cannot tell which 'forum' Im uploading /moving pics to as there are now 3 forums' gallerys showing in the drop down options but only one showing in actual, fact

http://digital-finger.smugmug.com/Projects

(Oh and ps - the default link colour has become purple??? yach...
EDIT:Oh no it's OK it shows up in the forum as white.. phew!)
Veni-Vidi-Snappii
...pics..

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    four galleries here:

http://digital-finger.smugmug.com/Projects/471635

2 with the same name.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    four galleries here:

http://digital-finger.smugmug.com/Projects/471635

2 with the same name.

Sorry Andy _ I only see four and two with similar names not the same. The is supposed to be four galleries there and those two with the similar names are supposed to be there

Just to be clear - the point I wanted investigating though is that there should be more galleries here because I had tried twice to create a 'Forums' gallery as a sub category of 'projects' but nothing showed up, so although it shows as being created in the drop down in the control panel it isn'tt in the projects gallery as asub category at all as far as I can see.

The 'forums' sub category that is there now, is as a result of a namee change of an already existing sub category of projects. I did it that way simply because the other attempts resulted in nothing happening i.e. no 'forums' sub category actually was created
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    I just tried to create a new gallery in my 'projects ' sub categories called 'Forums' but they dont show up - I tried twice
    They do showe in the sub category drop down, I tried twice

There IS a subcategory called 'forum now becaue I changed the name of an existing gallery

Problem is I now cannot tell which 'forum' Im uploading /moving pics to as there are now 3 forums' gallerys showing in the drop down options but only one showing in actual, fact

http://digital-finger.smugmug.com/Projects

(Oh and ps - the default link colour has become purple??? yach...
    EDIT:Oh no it's OK it shows up in the forum as white.. phew!)

Just checking. Do you realize that when you create categories and sub-categories in the control panel, they do NOT show from your home page until you create a gallery and put them in the new category and/or sub-category. Categories and sub-categories only show on your home page when there's a gallery in them. Since you mentioned "creating in the control panel" when is where you create categories and sub-categories, I'm wondering if that's what you were creating.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Just checking. Do you realize that when you create categories and sub-categories in the control panel, they do NOT show from your home page until you create a gallery and put them in the new category and/or sub-category. Categories and sub-categories only show on your home page when there's a gallery in them. Since you mentioned "creating in the control panel" when is where you create categories and sub-categories, I'm wondering if that's what you were creating.

thanks for the info but Im not sure I understand.. I make a sub gallery (forums) in 'Projects ' - which already exists.. but it doesn'yt show up..until...ok I think I get it ..I have to make a gallery and then assign it to that subgallery.. is that it? (Oh this stuff hurts my head!)

OK so how do I delete the extra 'forums' subcategories that I have made without deleting the one that Im actually using = i.e. how do I know which is which... or can't I???
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    I'm a little confused by what you are doing, tbh. You say 'new galleries not showing when created via control panel'. As far as I know, it is not possible to create galleries in the control panel. You can create Categories and Sub-Categories in the control panel, though.

The way SmugMug is set up, is like this:
    Category >>> Sub-Category >>> Gallery
    Sub-Categories are optional, and Galleries are the only 'things' that can hold photos.

So, in this case:
    Projects >>> Forums >>> gallery 1
    Projects >>> Forums >>> gallery 2
    Projects >>> Forums >>> gallery 3
    Projects >>> Forums >>> gallery 4

The fact that a Sub-Category could be renamed to an already existing Sub-Category seems to be a bug on our side. I'll investigate.

Categories and Sub-Categories will not show on your (public) account pages until there is a gallery associated with them. It's of no use to show empty (Sub-)Categories after all.

OK so how do I delete the extra 'forums' subcategories that I have made without deleting the one that Im actually using = i.e. how do I know which is which... or can't I???
    I've renamed one of the 'forum' sub-categories to 'forum2' and another to 'forums3', and looked to see if it changed in your projects category. It didn't so those were the ones that weren't being used. They can be removed if you like.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    thanks for the info but Im not sure I understand.. I make a sub gallery (forums) in 'Projects ' - which already exists.. but it doesn'yt show up..until...ok I think I get it ..I have to make a gallery and then assign it to that subgallery.. is that it? (Oh this stuff hurts my head!)

We will all be hopelessly confused if we don't speak the same terminology. In future postings, please use the following terminology to describe your questions:

Galleries hold photos and optionally vidoes. That's all they hold. A gallery is always assigned a category (either a built-in one or one you create) and optionally can also have a sub-category.

Categories are containers that only hold galleries or sub-categories - they do not hold photos.

Sub-categories are one extra level of categories. Like categories, they do not hold photos, only galleries. A sub-category always has a parent category.

The main place to create categories is the control panel, though you can also create a category at the same time as you are creating a gallery. Here's the help page on creating categories: http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photo.

The main place to create galleries is the Add Photos button you will find in a number of palces. Here's the help page on creating galleries: http://www.smugmug.com/help/online-photo-gallery.

One way to resolve your duplicate categories is to go to Control Panel/Customize Tab/Categories. Then temporarily rename both the categories with the same name to something else like Forums1 and Forums2. This will allow you to then see which ones are being used for what and you can delete the one you don't want in that same control panel page. After deleting the one you don't want, you can then rename the remaining one back to "forums".
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    thanks Ivar and jfriend - I think I understand now - thanks for the help:D

I will check out the changes later when I have time - got the dentist and two awkwardly growing wisdom teeth to contend with today! (even less wisdom after - oh no!) That's more than enough for me for one day:cry
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    (even less wisdom after - oh no!)
    lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    had an allergic reaction to the anaesthetic - spent 3 hours fighting threatening unconciousness, tingling hands and arms and vomiting and feeling like i was dying - horrible!
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..