A couple engagement photos

THengTHeng Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited August 19, 2008 in Weddings
26.jpg

#1 They look so happy in this photo, one of my favs

34.jpg
#2 Not quite a perfect heart, but I tried

tt1.jpg

#3 He happened to lay right on top of her, so I got true smiles out of both of them.

18.jpg

22.jpg

8-bwc.jpg

#6 my shot at B&W with color

I actually was hired for more engagement photos after someone saw these, so I was pretty excited :D CC welcome!
Can I shoot you with my Canon?
hengphotography

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Welcome to DGrin!:ivar wings.gif

My favorite of the bunch is #3 - I love the smiles and the sense of fun I see in the photo. The rest appear to me to be a bit stiff...

All of them have quality issues. I'm hoping that it's just photobucket compressing them toooooo much?
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Agree with Scott on the quality issues. These appear pretty noisy, and (to my eye at least) all shot with very small apertures, making everything in focus.

In #1, the couple appears very relaxed and comfortable with you, and each other, and I definitely think you used the height difference to your (and their) advantage here. One thing you might consider is avoiding what some here call "target-itis" where the subject is smack in the center of the frame. Study up on the rule of thirds and shots like this will really benefit. Another suggestion is to change your perspective. For example, shooting from above (park benches work well!) would make their eyes and faces more dominant in the frame. If you're going to do full-length, make sure you don't snip off toes! :D

Cute idea for #2. Good job getting low, you could lay on the ground and get even lower!

#3 is great for their natural expressions, like you have said. The writing on his shirt is a little bit distracting, I bet it could be cloned out fairly easily given the mottled print of his shirt.

#4 is one of my faves. Very nice even light on her, a little bit of shine on his forehead. Nice light in the eyes. Great pose. The only thing composition wise I'd suggest is watch your backgrounds...there's a tree growing out of his head and the white pole growing out of hers:D

5 is my fave, again really nice even light on them, great perspective and genuine emotion here. Nice colors!!! Just beautiful! Maybe darkening the upper left hand corner would help even out the light coming thru the trees would make it even better.

6 is better for me in total BW, I had to really look for the selective color as its such a small portion of the frame.

You're off to a great start! Hope the critique is helpful to you, don't hesitate to ask questions!

Where in Indiana are you located?
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    THengTHeng Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Thanks for the advice! I'm in Terre Haute, IN.

They were kind of stiff in some pics, so I had to make jokes and try to get them to laugh or get whatever candid pics I could. They both don't like their picture taken, so that's hard haha. She doesn't like to smile with "teeth" b/c her eyes squint... she's funny. She wanted the selective color in the last pic, but I guess I could try to "make" more flowers to make them stand out, didn't really think about it at the time.

Did I cut off his toe or should there just be more space between his toes and the bottom of the pic?

Thanks again!
    Can I shoot you with my Canon?
    hengphotography