Options

22 Miles to the Knik Glacier

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited August 19, 2008 in Journeys
The local Water Rescue Team was down a few members for last weekend's training, due to the local Search and Rescue team stealing a bunch of responders for their own training. :D We took who we had and headed upriver. We go UPriver for secret reasons, which may or may not include the fact that when we break down, we can float back to our trailer. :rofl It may or may not be pertinent that we've floated our way back two of the three times I've made this trip... This day it was a bit wet and gloomy, but we made the best of it and had a great time.

Cliff fires up the GPS at the start of the trip to record our progress.
glacier01.jpg

Our progress begins typically. :rofl
glacier02.jpg

Spirits still high, we start off. Cliff grins a little.
glacier03.jpg

Grins are justified at the moment. Jess and Steven elected to brave the tow on our new rescue platform, dubbed the "banana boat." Keep in mind, this water is fresh off the glacier, and just about as cold as water can get in liquid form.
glacier04.jpg

Pieter maintains his stoic poker-face, although underneath the calm is another nature altogether that threw a couple of us in the river later. :rofl Fortunately rescuers were standing by...
glacier06.jpg

We stopped briefly along the way. I should have done this differently to show the enormousness of the glacier, but oh well, I got it in a couple other pics.
glacier08.jpg

We made it to the glacier after a while, and parked amid icebergs where the river begins.
glacier09.jpg

There was a ton of traffic in the area, it being the weekend. We saw a number of boats, planes, and this helicopter.
glacier10.jpg

Jess was a little cold after that ride on the banana boat. :D
glacier13.jpg

This guy had a sweet boat. Some sort of canoe with an outboard attached, it seemed. He was cruising.
glacier14.jpg

Cliff builds a bit of a fire to warm up before we head back downstream.
glacier15.jpg

Here's the glacier in one direction. You can see it extends out past the horizon. It does this in the other direction too, although it's actually two separate glaciers joining together a few miles uphill from where we're at.
glacier17.jpg

Here's some silty glacier water, fresh off the ice. I swam up and check out an iceberg at one point. It was interestingly rotten, not at all the picturesque smooth ice one would think of. Must have been sitting in the water for a while.
glacier18.jpg

And lastly, here's a bit of rock formation at the glacier's edge.
glacier19.jpg

On the way back, the rain picked up, and I wasn't able to open my eyes more than tiny slits, much less take pictures. Rain at 30mph feels like hail! My face was red for the rest of the day. Anyway, the trip was pretty uneventful, except where Pieter threw himself, Jess, and Steven all off the boat, along with the banana boat which we were hauling instead of dragging to save fuel. :rofl And then about three miles upstream from our pullout we ran out of fuel completely. Normally our boat can go 53 miles on a tank, but this trip, dragging our banana-boat, we were slowed down and used more than normal. Ah well, that's what training is for, and in addition to getting some sweet pictures, I learned a lot as well! Hope you enjoyed the outing too!
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 18, 2008
    Excellent stuff thumb.gif

the anchor and glacial face are fantastic shots! not a bad backyard you have there.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    thumb.gifthumb.gif heck i feel like putting on a jacket...kinda feel a tad cool now..:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    OUCH!!! eek7.gif

glacier15.jpg

Wow that area looks absolutely stunning!!! iloveyou.gif

nice set! clap.gif
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    kitvan wrote:
    OUCH!!! eek7.gif

Wow that area looks absolutely stunning!!! iloveyou.gif

nice set! clap.gif

Check out his right hand, holding the stick. The finger that looks like it's bent out of sight actually just ends there, and a couple of the others are fused, but you'll never notice unless you spend a lot of time with him. Cliff is a guy who can handle just about anything. :D

Thanks for viewing and commenting everyone!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    OceanlightsOceanlights Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Hey thats one amazing shot and vey nice of you to share the story as well.
    And you put your hand in the fire oooouch eek7.gif

Anyways nice shots
    "Please comment on my pictures at http://www.MyGreatWorld.com (User: 'Darknesse') Thank You!"
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited August 19, 2008
    You guys have all the fun thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?