Options

It's soccer season!

leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
edited April 13, 2005 in Sports
19247299-L.jpg

Gallery

I love shooting soccer. The 20D paired with the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 is a great combo. Had no problem shooting at f2.8 and still getting in-focus, sharp photos.

This gallery is straight out of the camera except for web resizing.

Lee

Comments

• Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    18_3_106.gif Hi Lee, you have been shooting soccer now for awhile. Ive followed your posts for months on different forums. so let me ask you in advance of my shoot tomorrow...... whats the best way to go with the 20D.... mode? lens? etc....

thanx!
    troy

leebase wrote:

Gallery

I love shooting soccer. The 20D paired with the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 is a great combo. Had no problem shooting at f2.8 and still getting in-focus, sharp photos.

This gallery is straight out of the camera except for web resizing.

Lee
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    18_3_106.gif Hi Lee, you have been shooting soccer now for awhile. Ive followed your posts for months on different forums. so let me ask you in advance of my shoot tomorrow...... whats the best way to go with the 20D.... mode? lens? etc....
    troy
    It's nice to no that my journey has been helpful. The 20D is so much nicer than the rebel.

Here's where I'm at so far:

1. I shoot wide open at f2.8 -- the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 can handle it, and it helps separate the players from the parents watching them. If your lens isn't sharp wide open, you might consider stopping down one notch.

2. ISO as low as I can go and still have shutter speeds above 1/500. With a slower shutter speed you could get some "motion blur" shots which can be a nice creative choice...but I usually don't bother.

3. Pay attention to the histogram and use exposure compensation to keep the graph snugged to the right. Personally, I don't mind blowing out the white shorts so much. Our kids have these really shiny white shorts and if I don't blow them out a bit, the photos are fairly dark.

4. Circular polarizer if you have too bright a sky.

5. Position yourself to not shoot directly into harsh sun. Otherwise...position yourself to have less clutter in the background (the parents, parking lot, etc.)

6. Set drive to continuous shooting -- squeeze off shots in 2 to 3 shot bursts.

7. Set focus mode to AI servo. Pay attention, it's not magic, and you can lose focus. When you do, just put the center AF point over the player and re-half press to gain focus. Keep half pressed and follow the action waiting for your moment to rattle a few off. Pay attention to the focus and let up and half press again as needed.

8. Look for the stories. Action, of course. Right before they kick. Right as they shift directions. When players tussle with each other. The reaction right after a goal. Coaching moments.

Hope this helps.

Lee
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    7. Set focus mode to AI servo. Pay attention, it's not magic, and you can lose focus. When you do, just put the center AF point over the player and re-half press to gain focus. Keep half pressed and follow the action waiting for your moment to rattle a few off. Pay attention to the focus and let up and half press again as needed.

Hey, guys, try using custom function 04, setting 03. You can then achive focus with the star button (with your thumb), follow play and then when you press the shutter exposure is set for each shot. I used it all indoor season and it works great - I often don't reset for everyday shooting. It is more convenient than half pressing, and then having to half press again.

ann
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    Here's a photo from the second game of the day.

19260434-L.jpg

Had much better luck with shots on this game. There seems to be a correlation between your team winning, and having opportunities for great shots.

Also, I did crop these photos, and run them through FocalBlade for sharpening.

Gallery

Lee
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    3rd time's a charm. Had terrific lighting for this game...and lots of good action moments.

19280400-L.jpg

Used RawShooter to process the raw files with sharpening and "Outdoor Medium" settings added...and cropping via jpegcrops

Gallery

Lee
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 12, 2005
    Very nice Lee thumb.gifthumb.gif

Shooting young kids playing sports is tough, with a capital T rolleyes1.gif Lots of dead spots during the games and it can lull you asleep......lol Looks like you stayed awake and were right on top of the action clap.gifclap.gif

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Did you ever try shooting a game like this?

http://pics.jamesjweg.com/gallery/480120

I was hidding that camera as far up in the umbrella as I could and shooting one handed. I hate getting the camera moist, but I managed to avoid any direct water.

James.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Did you ever try shooting a game like this?
    lol! Nope. I like the way you have "proof" on the picts. What do the parents say?

Lee
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    leebase wrote:
    lol! Nope. I like the way you have "proof" on the picts. What do the parents say?

Lee
    I don't know yet, that is just the pro watermarking on SM, I just started shooting sports, but with racing I found that if I didn't do that the drivers just took the pics without paying.

James.