Options

Gallery in galleries?

nicnic Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited August 22, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hey all, just wondering if its possible to have a gallery that contains other galleries.

My idea is to have a Locked/password protect galleries gallery, so instead of having all the locked galleries out numbering the normal ones, chuck them all one to one gallery, just to make it look better.

is that possible? how would i do it exactly?

cheers, Nic
Canon 400D + Grip - tamron 70-200 - canon 18-55 - canon 75-300

www.ndavphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    nic wrote:
    Hey all, just wondering if its possible to have a gallery that contains other galleries.

My idea is to have a Locked/password protect galleries gallery, so instead of having all the locked galleries out numbering the normal ones, chuck them all one to one gallery, just to make it look better.

cheers, Nic

Nic, you could use Categories and then have galleries under the categories. Look at my site here and notice that under, for example, the Category Diamond Queens, I have separate galleries.

Also, under Portraits, I have separate galleries.

Does that do what you want?

Ping me if you need more help.

Mike.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    nic wrote:

cheers, Nic

Mike's suggestion to use a category as a container for your password protected galleries and change your home page so it shows categories is the right one.

Unfortunately in Smugmug, you can't put a password on a category. You can, however, give every single gallery in the category the same password. That way, the user will be prompted for the password the first gallery they open and then Smugmug will remember that password and not ask again for all the other galleries that have the same password. Except for the fact that your viewers can see the gallery listing before entering the password, it works pretty much the same as having a category password.

You can make it a little easier when you create new galleries if you make a quick settings that has the password already in it so you can just create the gallery, pick the quick settings and have everything already set for you.

Don't forget that you can do a "feature photo" on the password protected galleries and then you will get a decent thumbnail for the gallery too instead of the big padlock thumb.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question