Inside, the monster

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited August 24, 2008 in People
I haven't posted anything in this forum in forever as much as I enjoy looking at portraiture! So I am hesitant but was prodded into putting this up:

356403502_JoztY-L-2.jpg

The phrase that comes to mind from Othello:

"As, I confess, it is my nature's plague
To spy into abuses, and oft my jealousy
Shapes faults that are not."

I'm stuck in a rut (processing-wise) and I'm really looking to deviate from my usual patterns in the workflow. Hence, I am open to any comments, criticism or anything you guys may have to say about how this image turned out. Let me have it, please.

:D

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    A title came to mind upon my viewing...borrowed from a terrific shot by photogmomma in the LPS rounds.

"Enough"

Is this a self portrait?

For critique...
    There are folks here who are much more experienced with studio type lighting set ups than me....I do not do studio work at all.....and so I almost hesitate to comment on the lighting, but I will anyway. I like the lighting here! Some would coach you to add more light at camera right, but I like the shadows. They add shaping, and mood to the shot....both important elements of this portrait. I would like to see just a bit more light on her left eye....but just a bit, and that may be accomplished in processing as much as by adding a reflector to that side of the set-up.

The one thing that bothers me most is the hair over her right eye. I wouldn't suggest brushing it completely out of the way and disrupting the frazzledness, but I would like to see the pupil.

Looking at the crop, the eyes are centered... from top and sides. It appears that a square crop would improve the image. Cropping from the top so that the eyes fall at the top and middle third line (rule of thirds) and then maybe take a bit off the right side to open up the left side a bit. Keep as much as possible at the bottom.

I like the shot schmoo. My suggestions are being picky, but I definately think you will like the square crop better. I cannot comment on color....I am on an uncalibrated monitor at the moment.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    I really like the color scheme and symmetry of the shot Steph. But you're no green eyed monster. That's the first thing I noticed. Your brown eyes were missing.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Im hypnotized.....

thats a crazy shot, and since i know zero about portriature i will only bs my way around this forum for but a moment....but i had to comment!

now change your eyes to match your hair color and you can become a Sith Lord much like Nikolai....

you will henceforth be known as Darth Steph
    Aaron Nelson
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    you will henceforth be known as Darth Steph

rolleyes1.gif Thanks but I'll pass this time since I've been too busy to try to take over the world. :D

Thanks for the comments, guys! And Jeff I know you know much much more about shooting people than I do. I never thought about the eyes being in the center as I cropped it, as I was paying a lot more attention to trimming off stuff in the BG first. I appreciate your advice a LOT. thumb.gif
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Love the eyes!
    Jaye
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Are you turning into the hulk??

Yah the hair above the right eye is distracting! Hulk Schmoo!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Thanks for the comments, guys! And Jeff I know you know much much more about shooting people than I do. I never thought about the eyes being in the center as I cropped it, as I was paying a lot more attention to trimming off stuff in the BG first. I appreciate your advice a LOT. thumb.gif

Hey if it helps....I feel "lost" if shooting anything other than people!mwink.gif

On my monitor this morning. The image appears blocky as though the resize wasn't very kind to it. Looks a tad cool(wb) but I think that fits the mood.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Hi schmoo,

you usually don't respond to comments I make to you ne_nau.gif, but I must tell you how much I like this photo!

It is totally quirky, and totally perfect in its quirkiness. I love everything about it! clap.gif

Doing it by the book in any part of it would detract from it writing something new in the book!

The perfection in the technique of the shot and the "imperfection" in you that the shot shows, and which your quote emphasises, creates an experience of yin-yang, which I find awesomely subtle!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • photoshowphotoshow Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    I like the shot, here is what I see.
    A strong light source well off to the side on camera left and I suspect that was the only light source used here. Judging by the inconsistent shadows around the fingertips it looks like you might have tried to brighten the left side of the face in post. Also to me the skin tone is a bit cool but I don't know you so for all I know you may have porcelain skin and the tone could be dead on.

Anywise things I would have likely done differently but these are only suggestions of how I would have done it. A photograph only needs to make an emotional impact to be successful and this image already does that so my suggestions are more about fine tuning.

1. I would have added more hair light from high and above to create some rim light in the hair.

2. I would have used a large soft box or diffusion panel and moved the light source up very close to the model. As close as I could get it without it being in the frame. If available I would have added a 40 degree grid to the light as well.

3. I would have added a soft diffused fill light on the other side of the model to open up but not eliminate the shadows.

Also when modeling and placing the face in the hands I would suggest doing so lightly so as not to have the fingertips dig into the skin and squish the cheeks around

Another option for this shot would be to use either a ring light or a large diffused light source such as a 48" octabox directly behind the camera and bring the light straight on to the model. The drawback is that it will flatten features a little but will also provide a raw and gritty feel to the light. This method works best with older subjects who have some lines and the character of time on their faces.
    Bobby Deal - Commercial Photography * Vegas Vision Studios The Pro's choice for studio rental in Las Vegas
    Studio Photography Lighting and Modeling Workshops For the Discerning Taste
    "The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    :D i like it a lot
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Hey if it helps....I feel "lost" if shooting anything other than people!mwink.gif

On my monitor this morning. The image appears blocky as though the resize wasn't very kind to it. Looks a tad cool(wb) but I think that fits the mood.
    Thanks for the feedback!I 'm not sure why it's blocky. I had actually replaced the photo within the gallery and I noticed that my watermark is much smaller in proportion than usual so I'm guessing it has something to do with that. Not a feature I use regularly. ne_nau.gif

Thanks for the great comments, esp photoshow. Funny you suggest so much studio equipment, since I'm a landscape and architecture photographer at heart and I only just got my first piece of lighting last week: a 580EX II lol3.gif Anyway I am actually really impressed with your points because many of them were running through my head as I was processing them. Especially the face-squishing.

Still I have a lot to learn with shooting people, especially in controlling my own light. Thanks so much, again. thumb.gif Lastly, thank you Neil! I think I can always count on you to make poetry out of the images you see. I'm glad to hear you use the word "quirky!" Love that word :D
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    especially in controlling my own light.

thank you Neil! I think I can always count on you to make poetry out of the images you see. I'm glad to hear you use the word "quirky!" Love that word :D

Schmoo, what a SURPRISE to get a mention from you!! I am delighted :D:D:D

Please, do NOT control "your own light", that would make the darkness a little more dense for all of us mwink.gif

The squishing of the cheeks is part of the quirky charm of this shot, one of the "imperfections" which you make the subject of it. What would the shot be if it technically did all the right things, had perfect lighting, obeyed rules of composition and all the rest? Well, of course it would lose all its associations and depth, which you show you value by the quote you appended, a quote of Shakespeare's no less!

It would lose that awesome subtlety of yin-yang which does it for me, the perfect imperfections. That's so nice, don't you think? Why toss it for conventional niceness??

It's only your own "lighting" that can show you a new path. The experiment of this shot has produced an image which has lasting appeal. Some good things come unasked, unplanned, undeserved, despite our not obeying the rules to the letter. "Goodness" is bigger than us. We should be grateful. clap.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    Have to agree with NeilL. The frazzled, distraught look, hands clenching the face and the strong lighting lend to the photo.
    I wasn't expecting a glamourous studio shot (although it would be interesting to see a non-quirky shot to compare). I wasn't expecting this either, but I like it.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com