Options

Back to School C&C

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited August 23, 2008 in People
Thoughts / Comments / C&C appreciated.

This is my first time utilizing two flash units. One, off camera, but aimed at ceiling to provide a pool of light around her. Second bounced off laptop screen.

I think I am going to enjoy using these through the STE2, and having the ability to quickly adjust ratios. This allows for very quick adjustments without having to fiddle with the flash units at all. Good stuff!:thumb

356774696_boEhW-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    I think the shirt she is wearing goes with the photo! Late night working on drafts? Ahhh college memories! thumb.gif

How often do you go to your dauther's dorm? eek7.gifD
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    (I believe this is Jeff's second daughter...still in high school at home.)

Jeff...you're getting all fancy schmancy with two flashes and an STE2. thumb.gif I am so far behind. The lighting really works here, I think. Nicely composed and very well lit! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Oh.... my mistake! :cry
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2008
    I think the shirt she is wearing goes with the photo! Late night working on drafts? Ahhh college memories! thumb.gif

How often do you go to your dauther's dorm? eek7.gifD

Elaine is right...this is my youngest daughter...still at home and in high school.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    (I believe this is Jeff's second daughter...still in high school at home.)

Jeff...you're getting all fancy schmancy with two flashes and an STE2. thumb.gif I am so far behind. The lighting really works here, I think. Nicely composed and very well lit! clap.gif

Well, a second flash wasn't really on my list as a priority, but I had a chance to get a really great deal on one here in the used equipment listings. As a bonus, the second flash is a first generation 580 with the "off/master/slave" switch that allows faster switching rather than thumb the menus on the EXII version. It whines whereas my EXII does not, but operates flawlessly...and actually shows less wear than my first flash.

I am anxious to buy some stands and shoot through umbrellas!:D ....but there is the problem of a lens I have been wanting to purchase first!

This shot really says a lot for Canon's technologies. Taken last night...I shut off the overhead light in her room....so no ambient light. With the AF assist of the STE2, the 17-55 grabbed focus in nearly complete darkness (laptop was on) and then ETTL gave me a spot on exposure at the manual settings I had selected. Simple stuff.....I only had to adjust the lighting ratios to achieve the look I was after.

...and are you really behind?...do you wanna swap gear/bags?mwink.gif
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

...and are you really behind?...do you wanna swap gear/bags?mwink.gif

What I actually meant by that statement was I am so far behind in the skill set needed to actually pull a shot off like this. I've barely begun to get familiar with one flash, let alone two. I'm extremely thankful for the gear I have...it just makes me all the more aware of how my limitations are my very own, and no blame can be passed to my equipment. I'm feeling more frustrated by this than usual these days.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer...
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    This is fun Jeff. Great idea! Have you considered putting a CTO on the room flash and a CTB on the laptop?
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    What I actually meant by that statement was I am so far behind in the skill set needed to actually pull a shot off like this. I've barely begun to get familiar with one flash, let alone two. I'm extremely thankful for the gear I have...it just makes me all the more aware of how my limitations are my very own, and no blame can be passed to my equipment. I'm feeling more frustrated by this than usual these days.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer...

I dunno Elaine...I visit your blog frequently and see nothing wrong with your skills. I ...like you....have no idea what on earth I will actually do with two flash units. I suppose that as with one flash I will just take baby steps and see what works....and what flops. There have been times when using one flash....I have beeen frustrated...and wanting for a second as fill....so there may be a use there.

I was teasing you about your gear (:D envious:D )....but honestly I am also the weak link with my gear set.

oh.....and Debbie Downer is hilarious!.....SNL......
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    This is fun Jeff. Great idea! Have you considered putting a CTO on the room flash and a CTB on the laptop?

Thanks shatch.....and no I hadn't considered that...but it stands to reason that it might liven things up more. My younger daughter (pictured here) is much less likely to sit for a photo than my older daughter but agreed to do this for me. I set it up very quickly lest she change her mind! Truth be told, I was lucky to get everything linked up on the proper channels!....I haven't yet, but plan to read the manuals for both flash units tonight....at work!

Next time, I will definately consider plunking some color on those lights. Thanks.
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I am anxious to buy some stands and shoot through umbrellas!:D ....but there is the problem of a lens I have been wanting to purchase first!

Ummmmm, isn't this always the case? ne_nau.gif Checkout the B&H kit. Stand, shoot-thru umbrella, and hot shoe mount for around $100.

I like the photo as well. Nice execution on the fly!
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Ummmmm, isn't this always the case? ne_nau.gif Checkout the B&H kit. Stand, shoot-thru umbrella, and hot shoe mount for around $100.

Thanks Travis....

Which kit...

I have seen the Impact kit, but was thinking I'd want 45" umbrellas....the 45" kit by photoflex comes with silver lined convertables rather than white. Is there something else...that I am missing?

...and yeah...I always see glass on the horizon!
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Where is the transmitter reader for the flash? Did you clone it out somewhere? Or, how did you get it to bounce? questions... questions....
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2008
    Where is the transmitter reader for the flash? Did you clone it out somewhere? Or, how did you get it to bounce? questions... questions....

Not cloned...and not in sight.

Indoors, the IR signal can be bounced off walls etc. I don't know any tricks for this. I set things up where I wanted them and fired a test shot to be sure both flash units fired. Of course, if the one behind the laptop had not fired I may have had to move it to within view....then clone it out later.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    aaaah. I see. You just have all the luck. I fight with mine for every fire.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2008
    aaaah. I see. You just have all the luck. I fight with mine for every fire.

I really have no regrets with the STE2. I have had misfires, but only when the flashes are located behind me...or if the STE2 battery is low. I had read all the mixed reviews before I purchased...wondering...but have been pleasantly surprised. I have even used them outdoors some...without any problems.

I am building my flash set in hopes of someday firing via Radio Poppers. They seem to be the answer for any of the shortcomings of the infra-red firing technology used in the STE2/ Canon flash system.

!!!Someday!!!:D
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    Travis wrote:

Just bought this kit from B&H and am pretty pleased.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&shs=Impact+DIGITAL+FLASH+UMBERLLA+MOUNT+KIT+-+IMDFUMK&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2Fworkaround.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&Go.x=14&Go.y=9

Yes the umbrellas are a little small, but I really like the stands.
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.