Options

help with a straight horizon backround

lukiedukielukiedukie Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited April 13, 2005 in Technique
I'm hoping someone could help me with this. I have taken several shots of some frineds in front of a fire place wich had a horizontal mantel. when I saw the people throught the camera they were straight so i snapped the picture. when i viewed it later the people are straight but the horizantal objects in the backround are of sque and not horizontal like they should be. Do I need to set my camera on a trypod or is there some way to check myself before i snap the picture. any help would be appreciated.:dunno

Comments

• Options
    Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Thats one of my biggest pet peeves, :splat and I have ruined enough shots that I purchased a tripod with bubble levels on it. ( I know it's a little extreme, but I'm a bit thickheaded and was having trouble getting a level shot with a regular tripod) If you decide to get a tripod for the setup shots, make sure that the level is on the head of the tripod and not the legs. It can get pricy but I haven't missed a shot since.

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2005
    thanks that's a great help. I don't really like using the tripod especially when you just want a shot on the go but i guess i'll have to make friends with it.
  • Options
    Jerry CurtisJerry Curtis Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Why not just rotate and crop in post? As long as you leave enough of a buffer around your primary subject, this might be preferable to using a tripod on times. Sure, use a tripod where necessary and convenient (always), but otherwise, fix the shot in post.

If the people are straight and a horizontal item off, it might be that you're shooting at an angle other than 90 degrees to the straight line. If you are, no tripod will help that situation... what you have there is the effect of perspective.
    -Jerry

Whether you think that you can or that you can't, you are usually right.
    - Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2005
    i have photoshop elements and i am just learning how to use it. can you give me some directions on how to rotate the image-i know how to crop. thanks
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    lukiedukie wrote:
    i have photoshop elements and i am just learning how to use it. can you give me some directions on how to rotate the image-i know how to crop. thanks

in photoshop, you use the measure tool. if you have an uneven horizon line, you simply trace that line with the measure tool, then choose rotate image>arbitrary... and click ok

not sure if this translates to elements...
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    Thats one of my biggest pet peeves, :splat and I have ruined enough shots that I purchased a tripod with bubble levels on it. ( I know it's a little extreme, but I'm a bit thickheaded and was having trouble getting a level shot with a regular tripod) If you decide to get a tripod for the setup shots, make sure that the level is on the head of the tripod and not the legs. It can get pricy but I haven't missed a shot since.

If you look on p. 144 of your D70 manual, you'll find there is a way to get a grid display in the viewfinder. I've never tried it, but if it works it would be a lot more convenient than a tripod.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    Don't forget that a wider angle lens will put a curve on your horizon.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    jthomas wrote:
    If you look on p. 144 of your D70 manual, you'll find there is a way to get a grid display in the viewfinder. I've never tried it, but if it works it would be a lot more convenient than a tripod.

Your right! I totally forgot about that, when I got the camera, I turned the grid on and thought " what's that for?" and then promptly turned it off. I'm gonna turn that thing on permanently.

Thanks JT

Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    Why not just rotate and crop in post? As long as you leave enough of a buffer around your primary subject, this might be preferable to using a tripod on times. Sure, use a tripod where necessary and convenient (always), but otherwise, fix the shot in post.

If the people are straight and a horizontal item off, it might be that you're shooting at an angle other than 90 degrees to the straight line. If you are, no tripod will help that situation... what you have there is the effect of perspective.

Thanks I rotated the photos and croped per your suggestion and they look great.clap.gif