Options

Denton, Texas

THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
edited August 25, 2008 in Location, Location, Location!
I'm heading to Denton Texas tomorrow night for a couple of days and I don't have a clue what's around there. "Around there" actually refers to ALL of Texas! Denton is just north of Dallas & Fort Worth.

Does anybody have any suggestions in the short amount of time? I'll only have a few hours at a time so I can't go far.

Thanks!
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin

Comments

• Options
    NutterNutter Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    I'm heading to Denton Texas tomorrow night for a couple of days and I don't have a clue what's around there. "Around there" actually refers to ALL of Texas! Denton is just north of Dallas & Fort Worth.

Does anybody have any suggestions in the short amount of time? I'll only have a few hours at a time so I can't go far.

Thanks!

I was there a few weeks ago. There are a lot of flat lands there (its the end of tornado alley basically) If your into land scapes head up 35 West / North towards Oklahoma (its about 25-30 min ride; the highway naming is confusing but look at a map and you will understand the reasoning behind east / north) and there are some really interesting land scapes there as the road is cut out of the mountian. Further south your hit roanoke and there are a few malls if you like photo journalistic style of shooting. Ross Perot's ranch is on rt 114 east in Trophy Club / Roanoke. There are a few small air ports near by. And there is always Texas Motor Speedway which is on I35 West / South.

Best of luck, and enjoy the area, the people's hospitality is second to none!

-Ken
    Being successful is a relative term. Relative to you and only you.--Ricky Lankford

Take a Peek!
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:

I think you will be surprised just how spread out the "metroplex" is. Denton is surprisingly far from Dallas and Fort Worth, no matter how close they look on the map. Texas really, truly is BIG. (Mile markers on I-10 just east of Houston reach over 1,000).

Hit Forth Worth downtown area and go to the Stockyards. Bring a wide angle. FW also has a nice museum district. Los Colinas has one or two nice things to photograph, including a rather famous and large bronze statue of trotting horses. Not sure I'd see anything of particular note in Dallas to photograph. Great shopping, dining and nightlife however. And there are some nice landscapes off I-35 north of Denton and into Oklahoma, as mentioned.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    Awesome! Thank you both. Sound like I'll be heading West...and North on 35. I'm more of a landscape, outdoors type of person. I'm not much for cities unless I'm in another country.:D

Thanks again! Hopefully I get some free time!thumb.gif
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    I know nothing about Denton or any other part of TX, but maybe Google Earth would give you a good idea of what's there.

Just a random thought that popped into my head.ne_nau.gif
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged