Options

Canon 50D leak on Canon China website

potato1potato1 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited August 26, 2008 in Cameras
Look like a 50D announcement is imminent. A leak was captured on the Canon China website:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/679656

here are the specs copied from the thread:

1.6x crop
15.1MP
Digic 4
Dust Reduction
Auto Brightness Processing
Auto CA correction
95% viewfinder .97 magnification
9 point af (All Cross Type)
AF Fine Tuning
Face Recognition AF
ISO 100-3200 (Expansion to 6400, 12800)
6.3 fps (high speed) 3fps (low speed)
Buffer: 16 RAW - 60 JPG - 10 RAW+JPG
100,000 shutter life
HDMI Output
3" VGA LCD (920,000 pixel)

Some interesting features!

Comments

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    The 40D was announced Aug of 2007 and the xxD series have been replaced at an 18month cycle, so I'm not sure I'd believe this.

I hope the 15MP sensor is not true as I think the noise level would be too high IMO.

EDIT: Hmmm looking around online, it's full of these rumors, it's smelling more like official Canon "leak" who knows.
  • Options
    GwagDesignsGwagDesigns Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Beat me to it, i saw this today :D
    [7D] - [30D] - [GF1] - 70-200f4L | Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 105 | Sigma 18-50
    www.GwagDesigns.com | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    I saw it on photographybay too. I believe there is a certain probability that
    Canon is starting to roar back at the new splendid Cameras that Nikon is selling
    right now. I'm getting exicted over the viewfinder specs and micro adjustment
    the most :) Lets hope it's comming this fall!
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Come on 5D mk II!! wait.. we already have a rumor thread for that! rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    LoL after facing such an awful experience of trying to purchase a single lens. I have lost all charm of good gear clap.gif. I have lost the lust finally

Well 50D sounds cool :D.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    tgelstontgelston Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    50D sounds cool but mostly because I hope it will depress prices of the 40D down into something affordable by me around xmas time.

I heard a rumor of a rumor that Canon was getting close to releasing the 5d sucessor at Photokina but Nikon's new cameras forced them back to the drawing board. Sounds like speculation to me but may be a grain of truth.
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    I just got my 40D, and the only feature in there that I like the sounds of are the higher ISO options (6400 and 12800) I know it would be noisy, but the options is always nice.

I agree though that a 15MP crop sensor would seem to be pretty noisy.
  • Options
    mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    If these specs are true, and I hope they are, why immediately assume 15MP is noisy? Technology does march on. If it's a noisy 15MP, Nikon continues to lead. If it's a clean 15MP, Canon takes over. Healthy competition that benefits we users. :D

Similar to one of the presidential campaigns, is there a way to get a text message when the 50D is formally announced??? ;)
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    If these specs are true, and I hope they are, why immediately assume 15MP is noisy? Technology does march on. If it's a noisy 15MP, Nikon continues to lead. If it's a clean 15MP, Canon takes over. Healthy competition that benefits we users. :D

Similar to one of the presidential campaigns, is there a way to get a text message when the 50D is formally announced??? ;)
    lol3.gif

I'd liked to be texted for the 50D and 5D mk II!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    dgenevedgeneve Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2008

I don't know about text message, but you could get an RSS feed from this site: http://www.usa.canon.com. I find them to be very reliable when it comes to Canon news. :D This would let you see the news headlines without actually going to the site.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    :lurk :eat
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2008
    Many people believe ISO6400 and 12800 on a 15MP crop sensor are not a
    good idea. Why is this? So far Canon has done their homework and
    not released sensors with didn't perform well at the top ISO setting, or not?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 23, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Many people believe ISO6400 and 12800 on a 15MP crop sensor are not a
    good idea. Why is this? So far Canon has done their homework and
    not released sensors with didn't perform well at the top ISO setting, or not?

I think too much attention is paid to the top ISO setting, which is typically a desperation measure anyway. What is more important to me is how high I can set the ISO without any concern for noise at all. On my 20D, that's only 200, though I don't worry much about using 400. At 800 and above, it is usually a problem. So for me, if the newer technology lets me shoot at 800 with no worry at all and 1600 with little concern, then that would be a big step forward regardless of how it performs at 12,800.
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    :lurk :eat

Pass the popcorn lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    What is more important to me is how high I can set the ISO without any concern for noise at all.
    So I gather you don't think the 40D is a significant improvement in this area over the 20D. I'd like to hear more about that.

It just seems like Canon will get slammed by the likes of DPreview and this forum if the 50D is not a sufficient improvement over the 40D. Canon must be concerned about this.

As for me, I'd love to get a 2nd body to go with my 30D in January. I'll decide between a $800-900 40D and a $1300-$1500 50D at that time. I'm trilled that it looks like I'll have a choice. :D
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 24, 2008
    So I gather you don't think the 40D is a significant improvement in this area over the 20D. I'd like to hear more about that.

I didn't mean to imply that. My only point was that to me, performance at the extremes is less important than performance in the range I typically shoot. I can't afford to upgrade my equipment every time a newer, better model comes out, but I do expect better performance when I replace the 20D with whichever body I choose.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    Sounds like BS to me. I can't believe Canon would let the D700 go unopposed and release a 50D before a 6D. If a camera with Digic 4 is being released my money is on a 5D replacement.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    Sounds like BS to me. I can't believe Canon would let the D700 go unopposed and release a 50D before a 6D. If a camera with Digic 4 is being released my money is on a 5D replacement.

I think they will release whatever they have ready, it's not like they
    have only one team of engineers to design cameras that can only
    work on one model at a time.
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Well, colour me surprised.

They did it.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    ― Edward Weston