Options

Self Cleaning Sensor

Cmount522Cmount522 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited August 26, 2008 in Cameras
How well do these work?
Are they good enough to be considered a factor when purchasing?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    Cmount522 wrote:
    How well do these work?
    Are they good enough to be considered a factor when purchasing?
    Thanks.

So far I haven't had any dust problems with my Olympus, so that's a good sign.

Additionally is a nice feature to have because at the very least it gives you more time between cleanings. And if you would be sending the camera out to have the sensor cleaned it definitely is a major factor for convenience
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    I think they work. I had a big spot show up in my photos. I checked the lenses but the spot was still there. I was about to lock the mirror and use the blower but then remembered the self cleaner feature and turned it on. The spot went away. Probably saved me 5-10 minutes.

My question is, should I set the cleaning to activate every time I turn the camera on or use it sparingly? I don't want to burn it out if I'm turning the camera on and off a lot.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    I didn't think they would work but I have a Canon 30D which doesn't have such a system and an Rebel XTi which does and I repeatedly clean the sensor on the 30D and maybe once for the XTi.

I'm a firm believer that these features work.
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    The sensor cleaner feature is a must for all the DSLR camera.

As the sensor is getting larger and higher pixel density, more electrical charge on the sensor and attract more particles.

Many newer DSLR has the auto-cleaning procedure everytime you shut down the camera.

For the big spot on the photo, you may wish to check the lens as well.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    The OP asked how well it works? I'm wondering too. Who has both shaken and non-shaken DSLRs that can comment?
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    You might find this thread, although dated, useful. It includes a link to some tests (Olympus vs. Canon vs. Sony vs. Pentax.)

I came away from it with two thoughts.

1. Dust, while a problem, is not as big a problem as it is made out to be, unless one regularly shoots under extreme conditions or at very small apertures.

2. An air blower is an inexpensive and surprisingly effective tool for removing dust. (If an air blower can't dislodge it, how do you think some microvibrations around the sensor are going to fare?)
  • Options
    mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    Thanks for posting that old thread. Seems like at best, the shaking sensor allows the intervals between cleanings to be slightly longer. That's one less compelling reason to upgrade.
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    I am on my 3rd generation Olympus DSLR and I have never cleaned my sensor. I have done regular tests to see if I need to, but have never found any dust bunnies.
    So, for me, that is definitely a factor.
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    Better than nothing at least
    Dust busting systems benefit those like me who changes lenses frequently. I have an older Pentax DS that does not have any self cleaning features and a newer Pentax K10D that does. I clean the DS much more frequently. I also have to clean the sensor of the K10D now and then, but I find that due to the superslippery filter glass coating, a few gusts from the rocket blower work quite well. My habit is to do this once a week.
    Olympus sensor cleaning systems are superior. Probably a combination of better technology and the reality that the 4/3rds sensor is quite a bit smaller so you have less to manage.
    I would never purchase another DSLR without a builtin dust cleaning system.

M
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    I have the Rebel XTI and the 40D. I wouldn't buy a camera without the self cleaning sensor. I'm a lens changer and have never had a problem with dust on my sensor.
  • Options
    gdaddygdaddy Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Dust busting systems benefit those like me who changes lenses frequently. I have an older Pentax DS that does not have any self cleaning features and a newer Pentax K10D that does. I clean the DS much more frequently. I also have to clean the sensor of the K10D now and then, but I find that due to the superslippery filter glass coating, a few gusts from the rocket blower work quite well. My habit is to do this once a week.
    Olympus sensor cleaning systems are superior. Probably a combination of better technology and the reality that the 4/3rds sensor is quite a bit smaller so you have less to manage.
    I would never purchase another DSLR without a builtin dust cleaning system.

M

Hi, Thanks for your input. I have Olypus, Nikon , and Canon and the Nikon has cost me 130 dollars in the last 18 months for sensor cleaning by professional, authorized Nikon dealers while the Olympus and the Canon (40d) have not had to have the sensors cleaned because they have the self cleaning feature. They work and are a handy feature when it comes tome to have to have the sensor cleaned and the worry about it and doing without your camera while it is gone for the service.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    I have a 30D and a 40D. The 30D is a dust magnet :D something I notice since I photograph a lot of aviation subjects (dust spots tend to stand out against a plain blue sky). I still get some dust spots on the 40D, but not nearly to the degree as the 30D. I leave the auto-clean feature turned on, so it runs every time I turn the camera on. I only use a blower for manually cleaning, and have not needed to use it on the 40D very much.
  • Options
    Cmount522Cmount522 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 26, 2008
    Thanks for the link and info. Very helpful.