Options

How do you ask to be a 2nd shooter?

idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
edited August 26, 2008 in Weddings
Hey All,

I would like to go along with a few local photographers in the Edmonton, Alberta area, but I am not really sure how to ask them.

Does anybody have any suggestions about the most appealing way to ask a pro to take me along? :D

THanks.

Comments

• Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    I'd sign up for DWF Start (which everyone with an interest in wedding photography should do).

Unlike the main forums over there, you don't have to pay and there are no pre-requisites for joining. One section you'd have access to is a forum where working wedding photographers post for people to tag along and learn.

When we started our wedding business I was able to second for shoot for several DWF members which got me off to a really good start.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    Pro
    i'd say check out the DWF too.

I've been a pro there for a year plus and it's made a huge difference for me. There is a whole other spectrum on the Pro site vs the DWF Start.

david_h wrote:
    I'd sign up for DWF Start (which everyone with an interest in wedding photography should do).

Unlike the main forums over there, you don't have to pay and there are no pre-requisites for joining. One section you'd have access to is a forum where working wedding photographers post for people to tag along and learn.

When we started our wedding business I was able to second for shoot for several DWF members which got me off to a really good start.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    i'd say check out the DWF too.

I've been a pro there for a year plus and it's made a huge difference for me. There is a whole other spectrum on the Pro site vs the DWF Start.

Yes, I just renewed to make my contribution to Jeff's DWF corporate jet :D
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    Looks interesting, I signed up for a trial pro... we'll see if it peaks my interest or not :) The price is a bit high for my still starting liking, but if it's worth it, I can probably swing it.
  • Options
    idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    Great, thanks folks. Is DWF generally American? or are there many Canadians on there as well?

I certainly did sign up for DWF start, but I was just curious. :D

Thanks again.
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    idiom wrote:
    Hey All,

I would like to go along with a few local photographers in the Edmonton, Alberta area, but I am not really sure how to ask them.

Does anybody have any suggestions about the most appealing way to ask a pro to take me along? :D

THanks.

call me old fashioned, but there's nothing like learning the craft from an established studio. true, many will ask that you sign a non-compete to work for them, but IMO, you stand to learn the most with a studio than a single shooter on his/her own.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto