Options

sorting subcategories

ChrisRabiorChrisRabior Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited August 26, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I've been browsing, haven't really found the answer I was looking for (although that could be because I'm in my 33rd hour of being awake on a mere 6 hours of sleep).. so here goes.

I cover a lot of concerts. As such, I have a Concerts category.
The subcategories are the different bands, musicicians, acts, etc.
The galleries are simply the specific shows for specific dates.

ie
Me>Concerts>Band1>Show1
Me>Concerts>Band1>Show2
Me>Concerts>Band1>Show3
Me>Concerts>Band2>Show1

I'd like to set it up so that the sub-categories are sorted by the most recent gallery they contain. If I cover bands A, B, C, D on Friday, then A, E, C, G on Saturday, I'd hope to have the subgalleries show up as G C E A D B, reflecting the most recent performers. I realize I can do this manually, and gave it a shot for a while, but I have far too many subcategories for this to ever be an effective method.

Can't seem to find an auto-sort for the subcategories, am I missing something obvious, or is there just not any ability like this yet? I'm hoping the lack of sleep has made me dense and it's an easy fix.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can steer me in the right direction.

Comments

• Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 26, 2008
    I've been browsing, haven't really found the answer I was looking for (although that could be because I'm in my 33rd hour of being awake on a mere 6 hours of sleep).. so here goes.

I cover a lot of concerts. As such, I have a Concerts category.
    The subcategories are the different bands, musicicians, acts, etc.
    The galleries are simply the specific shows for specific dates.

I'd like to set it up so that the sub-categories are sorted by the most recent gallery they contain. If I cover bands A, B, C, D on Friday, then A, E, C, G on Saturday, I'd hope to have the subgalleries show up as G C E A D B, reflecting the most recent performers. I realize I can do this manually, and gave it a shot for a while, but I have far too many subcategories for this to ever be an effective method.

Can't seem to find an auto-sort for the subcategories, am I missing something obvious, or is there just not any ability like this yet? I'm hoping the lack of sleep has made me dense and it's an easy fix.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can steer me in the right direction.

Hi :)

On your homepage, in the upper left corner of your galleries box, make sure you are sorting by most recent (click on most recent if it is now set to position).

That will sort your categories and subcategories by most recent, also.

If that's not the problem, please include a link to your site.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    ChrisRabiorChrisRabior Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    That took care of it, thanks.
    Guess I'll just have to deal with the categories being 'out of order' from what I wanted on my main page.. but that's a small sacrifice for now.

I guess arranging the main categories can be another day's battle.. for now, it's time to catch up on some sleep.

Thanks!