Options

New to Weddings

JasonLJasonL Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited August 27, 2008 in Weddings
Hello all, I am really enjoying this forum and everyone has been helpfull and has given great advice. This is the senerio. I am very new to photography, I bought my first DSLR in Nov. 2007, a used D70s with a kit lens. A few months later, this became an addiction.........I am having tons of fun, upgraded to a D200 and alot of accesories......I learn everyday. I did a wedding with a friend a few weeks ago, an one 2 days ago on Sunday. Here are a few shots that I liked so far, I am still downloading ha ha, I did not do post production yet, meeting up with my partner tommorow to start that. Any advice would be greatly appriciated. Thanks for looking.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg
So many toy's not enough money !

Nikon D300s. Nikon D40, Nikon FE, Nikon F
Ansco Ancoset Rangefinder, Rolleiflex TLR Sb800, sb400

Nikon 18-200 VR, nikon 18-55 II, Sigma 10 20 HSM, 50mm f1.8 ai-s, 50mm Non Ai f1.4

Comments

• Options
    VinnieVinnie Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    JasonL wrote:
    Hello all, I am really enjoying this forum and everyone has been helpfull and has given great advice. This is the senerio. I am very new to photography, I bought my first DSLR in Nov. 2007, a used D70s with a kit lens. A few months later, this became an addiction.........I am having tons of fun, upgraded to a D200 and alot of accesories......I learn everyday. I did a wedding with a friend a few weeks ago, an one 2 days ago on Sunday. Here are a few shots that I liked so far, I am still downloading ha ha, I did not do post production yet, meeting up with my partner tommorow to start that. Any advice would be greatly appriciated. Thanks for looking.

Hey man...all in all good shots especially considering your experience level. A little photoshop magic and you'll have timeless photos for the bride and groom to enjoy.

Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Very well done for first try.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    First - number the photos; it just makes comments so much easier:D

About the photos
    1. (Back-lit woman) I'm guessing the girl/woman in gray is the bride? Maybe better had you moved to your left a bit and gotten some of her face? This shot, how about using some flash to balance ambient (the blown windows). Also, flash would have allowed you to fill the shadow side (the face) of the woman facing us.
    2. Oh, she is pretty. You have a stick growning out of her head! Need to watch the backgrounds. This something that is sooooo hard for me.
    3. Nice snapshot. Does it tell a story that is special to her? What's with the line across her thighs?
    4. Somebody's Angels - Could have been a fun shot but I don't think the ladies are into it.
    5. Silhouette - Have you thought about making this a B&W? I think it would rock. Also, clone out the chair and, next time, remove this sort of distraction from the scene before shooting. Also, if you have the room, getting all the gown in the shot?
    6. The Guys - Fun, well exposed (except for the church roof. A slightly different composition (you moving to your right) would have solved that problem for you.
    7. Nice candid - and the story is... Photos need to tell a story.
    8. Bride in Car - I'm guessing this is her arriving at the church? Did you get one of her getting out of the car - that would tell the story.
    9. Bouquet - nice idea. A little under-exposed. Getting her face in the shot would finish it. Maybe burn/darken the bright spots in lower right and the rail behind her to remove those distractions?
    10. Bride and Father - Very nicely exposedthumb.gif and shows her beauty so very well. When shooting be sure to look around the edges of the frame - you cut off their feet and you have the distraction of just part of the ribbon on the right. Pulling back just a touch would have made the ribbon less distracting and you would have gotten their feet in the shot.
    11. Gazeebo #1 - This is, by far (and IMO) the best of the photos so far. You have context, good exposure (the sky is gone, but that's sometimes very hard to control), it's not centered, they are into the photo, the gown is nicely displayed. The only detractor is the bouquest on the left.
    12. Gazeebo #2 - Just fun and well exposed.
    13. Gazeebo #3 - Over exposed a touch. This can be corrected in post as I don't see anything (but the sky, see comment above) blown.
    14. Gazeebo #4 (Bride waving) - Nicely exposed snapshot. Is the tilt intentional - if so, make it more so. If not, straighted the photo. As it shown, it looks accidental.
    15. Gazeebo #5 (Bride and the guys) - Gown could have been better positioned. She could have extended her body more to give the impression that she's lounging there.
    16. Gazeebo #6 (Kiss) - a little off-camera flash on them would have really made this pop. As it is, they are a but under-exposed.
    17. Cake - Where's he looking? Aside from that, this is nicely done; well exposed and very sharp.
    18. Bouquet - OK it's a bunch of flowers. By itself there's not much of a story. The blue napkin(?) on the left and the dining utensile on the right are a bit of a distraction.
    For no PP, these really are quite good, especially for a first wedding. There are a number of things that could stand improvement (see comments:D) but - good job. I think your client will be pleased.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2008
    Thanks man
    Vinnie wrote:
    Hey man...all in all good shots especially considering your experience level. A little photoshop magic and you'll have timeless photos for the bride and groom to enjoy.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Buddy. You know I will be hitting you up for some photoshop work ha ha. Anyone reading this, Vinnie is the reason that I spend all my extra money on camera stuff. You should check out his postings and some of his work. He has helped me get a quick jumpstart with my camera and we help eachother all the time since we live 20 min from each other. Thanks Vinnie !!!!!

Nikon 18-200 VR, nikon 18-55 II, Sigma 10 20 HSM, 50mm f1.8 ai-s, 50mm Non Ai f1.4
  • Options
    VinnieVinnie Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    JasonL wrote:
    Thanks Buddy. You know I will be hitting you up for some photoshop work ha ha. Anyone reading this, Vinnie is the reason that I spend all my extra money on camera stuff. You should check out his postings and some of his work. He has helped me get a quick jumpstart with my camera and we help eachother all the time since we live 20 min from each other. Thanks Vinnie !!!!!

Laughing.gif - photoshop work...haharolleyes1.gif I'm sure there are people on the forum that have forgotten more about PS than I know....but if you want mediocre PS skills and have about 3 hours per photo, I'm your guy!

Also, in all fairness I was trying to get you to spend that extra money on me...not yourself...haha...my birthday is coming up...I hear the D300 are going on sale...hehe

Being a novice myself, I can appreciate your enthusiasm and thirst for any and all feedback...it only makes us better...Thanks to all for your help!
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2008
    Scott you are awsome Thank you MUCH !!!!
    First - number the photos; it just makes comments so much easier:D

About the photos
    1. (Back-lit woman) I'm guessing the girl/woman in gray is the bride? Maybe better had you moved to your left a bit and gotten some of her face? This shot, how about using some flash to balance ambient (the blown windows). Also, flash would have allowed you to fill the shadow side (the face) of the woman facing us.
    2. Oh, she is pretty. You have a stick growning out of her head! Need to watch the backgrounds. This something that is sooooo hard for me.
    3. Nice snapshot. Does it tell a story that is special to her? What's with the line across her thighs?
    4. Somebody's Angels - Could have been a fun shot but I don't think the ladies are into it.
    5. Silhouette - Have you thought about making this a B&W? I think it would rock. Also, clone out the chair and, next time, remove this sort of distraction from the scene before shooting. Also, if you have the room, getting all the gown in the shot?
    6. The Guys - Fun, well exposed (except for the church roof. A slightly different composition (you moving to your right) would have solved that problem for you.
    7. Nice candid - and the story is... Photos need to tell a story.
    8. Bride in Car - I'm guessing this is her arriving at the church? Did you get one of her getting out of the car - that would tell the story.
    9. Bouquet - nice idea. A little under-exposed. Getting her face in the shot would finish it. Maybe burn/darken the bright spots in lower right and the rail behind her to remove those distractions?
    10. Bride and Father - Very nicely exposedthumb.gif and shows her beauty so very well. When shooting be sure to look around the edges of the frame - you cut off their feet and you have the distraction of just part of the ribbon on the right. Pulling back just a touch would have made the ribbon less distracting and you would have gotten their feet in the shot.
    11. Gazeebo #1 - This is, by far (and IMO) the best of the photos so far. You have context, good exposure (the sky is gone, but that's sometimes very hard to control), it's not centered, they are into the photo, the gown is nicely displayed. The only detractor is the bouquest on the left.
    12. Gazeebo #2 - Just fun and well exposed.
    13. Gazeebo #3 - Over exposed a touch. This can be corrected in post as I don't see anything (but the sky, see comment above) blown.
    14. Gazeebo #4 (Bride waving) - Nicely exposed snapshot. Is the tilt intentional - if so, make it more so. If not, straighted the photo. As it shown, it looks accidental.
    15. Gazeebo #5 (Bride and the guys) - Gown could have been better positioned. She could have extended her body more to give the impression that she's lounging there.
    16. Gazeebo #6 (Kiss) - a little off-camera flash on them would have really made this pop. As it is, they are a but under-exposed.
    17. Cake - Where's he looking? Aside from that, this is nicely done; well exposed and very sharp.
    18. Bouquet - OK it's a bunch of flowers. By itself there's not much of a story. The blue napkin(?) on the left and the dining utensile on the right are a bit of a distraction.
    For no PP, these really are quite good, especially for a first wedding. There are a number of things that could stand improvement (see comments:D) but - good job. I think your client will be pleased.

First of all Scott, I am honored that you took the time to look at my pics and offer so much advice on them. Your comments took longer than it took me to download, upload and post them up ha ha. Once again thank you very much. You did point out a ton of things I would have never noticed. I did shoot most of the pictures in RAW also. I figured this was a good Idea incase I messed up composition, especially since the Church was almost pitch black. I mean it seriously was DARK !!!!! I seriously tried like 3 different diffuser setups and angles, it was crazy. As for the awesome advice:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    #1 Great point and since reading this I am glad I DID take some with flash and more to the left, I will be sure to pick one of them instead<o:p></o:p>
    #2 Stick in the head……Funny did not even see this………PS to the rescue!!<o:p></o:p>
    #3 The line across the thighs…..Underwear ha ha…..not a special photo, she just wanted to take a walk outside so I told her I would come with since I never met her before, we were just goofing around. <o:p></o:p>
    #4 That shot was actually their idea, I have a few more, will check their facial expressions on the others. I think they were trying to look serious.<o:p></o:p>
    #5 B&W was my exact thought…….and the other things you said too. I again have a bunch of them I will check for framing on them, I just liked the idea.<o:p></o:p>
    #6 Good point about moving, I guess I will get that with experience.<o:p></o:p>
    #7 Just a bridesmaid making the bride laugh and relax<o:p></o:p>
    #8 I did get her getting out of car and her dad helping her out so I have a few that will go with that one. <o:p></o:p>
    #9 I do have her with the face in it. Good point I will relook at those also.<o:p></o:p>
    #10 good advice I think I have more of a full length one I can crop<o:p></o:p>
    #11 I like this shot too did not notice the flowers on the left, the video guy actually told them to bunch up and I was walking by and grabbed that shot, I did not even look through the finder it was just a lucky shot ha ha.<o:p></o:p>
    #12 They were a fun bunch!!!<o:p></o:p>
    #13 Got ya !!<o:p></o:p>
    #14 <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:PersonName w:st="on">N</st1:PersonName>eed to straighten, was not intentional, just grabbed a candid while they were getting ready. I liked the interaction they were having. <o:p></o:p>
    #15 I had no Idea how to set this up, definite lack of experience. Something I need to learn!!!<o:p></o:p>
    #16 your right, I even tried to spot meter off the people but still they are underexposed. I need to get a soft box for a shoe mount flash and try that wirelessly. Good point. <o:p></o:p>
    #17 he actually was looking at me hahah he has let’s call it “crazy eyes”………….. I have a lot of pics where she is dead on me and his eyes are kinda “off”<o:p></o:p>
    #18 I know just flowers, I just thought the colors were cool hahahahah sorry I am an armature ha ha.<o:p></o:p>
    All in all, the bride and groom knew we were armatures. I know I have a ton to learn, but they worked with us and were so great to work with. They told us from the start, if we needed to do anything over to just let them know and they were more than willing to do it. Even the bridal party girls were awesome and helped with some posing and placement. I took 1300 pictures ha ha, and they were cool with that, and the other guy took about 1100. We are hopeing to give them about 300 to 400 good ones for them to choose from. <o:p></o:p>