Options

Need suggestion for new camera

BulldoggerBulldogger Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited August 28, 2008 in Cameras
Hello everyone.I am looking into a new camera and I am very inexperienced when it comes to taking photos, equipment and all the jargon you all use.I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 and I find it to be noisy.Granted, I probably do not even know how to use it to its best potential.I have tried different settings and options but I rarely get sharp pictures or catch the right lighting.I mostly take pictures of my dogs so sharpeness on action shots would be nice.

I am going to try to learn as much as I can from this forum but I was wondering if any of you could suggest a better camera that someone like myself would be able to use.I looked at the Nikon D300 and while I liked the pictures I saw it would be probably impossible for me to use.It is a better idea to learn to use what I have, and then move to something better but I seem to be stuck with this camera.Any advice would be appreciated.

PS: Excuse the poor grammar.English is my second language.

Comments

• Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Well, A DSLR of nearly any brand used in "P" or auto mode would likely yield much better action shots of your dogs for several reasons.

Faster AF and being able to use a real optical viewfinder are two biggies.

Also almost any entry level DSLR has good image quality to ISO 800-1600 depending on the amount of light and type.

If it were me I would look at the Canon Xsi kit and then add one really nice but not too expensive lens for taking action shots of your dogs. The Canon 70-200 F4. It's about $500 or so depending on new or used.

You'll get top notch image quality and very fast focussing.

Of course I don't know your budget and this all maybe way out of it or way low.

Gene
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    I think an entry level dslr kit with it's faster AF and shorter shutter delay will be better for your needs. I'd recommend considering something like a Canon XSi with a kit lens and a Canon 55-250mm IS or a similar offering from Nikon like a D60 with a kit lens and a 55-200mm VR.

Good luck.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited August 18, 2008
    Bulldogger,

Welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Like the others have said, a modern dSLR is a good choice for any kind of "action" photography and I think dogs at play certainly qualify.

Lenses will certainly make a difference and I'm not sure that consumer lenses will keep up. Be prepared to spend some significant money just for the lenses that are suitable.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    I wouldn't be too afraid of the DSLR. Put the camera in "P" mode and learn how to control ISO. You will learn from there how making one adjustment affects others. If you can afford the D300, get it.

Also, most entry level DSLR's have automatic modes and sports is one of them.
  • Options
    gdaddygdaddy Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    Bulldogger wrote:
    Hello everyone.I am looking into a new camera and I am very inexperienced when it comes to taking photos, equipment and all the jargon you all use.I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 and I find it to be noisy.Granted, I probably do not even know how to use it to its best potential.I have tried different settings and options but I rarely get sharp pictures or catch the right lighting.I mostly take pictures of my dogs so sharpeness on action shots would be nice.

I am going to try to learn as much as I can from this forum but I was wondering if any of you could suggest a better camera that someone like myself would be able to use.I looked at the Nikon D300 and while I liked the pictures I saw it would be probably impossible for me to use.It is a better idea to learn to use what I have, and then move to something better but I seem to be stuck with this camera.Any advice would be appreciated.

PS: Excuse the poor grammar.English is my second language.

Sounds like you want to learn and advance as quickly as you can. So, maybe purchase something that will hold its value so you can have some money back when you move up. A canon 40D is my 2 cents worth. I have had the Nikon D200 and the 18-200mm VR lens but the Canon 40d has the advantage of two years in technology, i.e...digic III cmos and 14 bit a/d conversion. That is 4 times the color spectrum,etc.. I shot test pics with the Nikon D200 and 18-200 vr lens against the Canon 40D with the 28-135 lens and the difference was immediately noticeable - and that 28-135 is the Canon kit lens which cost less than that Nikon 18-200 vr lens. All settings were the same. The Canon also has a little easier learning curve and has the "scene" modes to help you get started. Around $1000 will get the 40d and the 28-135. That is without flash or other accessories. But, you will have a good camera and will be able to get some money back if you want to move up later.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2008
    Thank you all for your advice.I think I am going to look trough this forum and get some info before I buy a better camera.I need to at least understand the basics and apply them on the camera I have, before I go and buy something that would be wasted with me.
    Again, thank you for your replies.Going to read some of the jargon on here and see if I can understand what it means. :)
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    For the future...what would be a good option between these Nikon?

http://www.broadwayphoto.com/productlistings.aspx?FC=F_NKD80&L=223125
    I am not sure of what "package" I could go with, if I decide to buy one later on.Because I don't understand lenses yet I would not know what the smartest purchase for me would be.
    Of course the autofocus lens kit is a must, right? That would help when taking action shots, correct?
    Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited August 26, 2008
    Bulldogger wrote:
    For the future...what would be a good option between these Nikon?

http://www.broadwayphoto.com/productlistings.aspx?FC=F_NKD80&L=223125
    I am not sure of what "package" I could go with, if I decide to buy one later on.Because I don't understand lenses yet I would not know what the smartest purchase for me would be.
    Of course the autofocus lens kit is a must, right? That would help when taking action shots, correct?
    Thanks for any help.

Be sure to review our thread, "How not to get Ripped Off":

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=374

... and then see the thread, "Where to Buy":

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=5393

Both of these are stickies and always at the top of the Cameras forum.

I do not recommend the "kits" that many vendors put together.

Instead, review your own shooting habits and find the lenses which might most satisfy "your" particular requirements. Once you have narrowed down your selection feel free to ask here for additional opinion and experience.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Instead, review your own shooting habits and find the lenses which might most satisfy "your" particular requirements. Once you have narrowed down your selection feel free to ask here for additional opinion and experience.

Thank you.The problem is that I don't even know what lenses I would want to use.Trust me when I say that I am very inexperienced! I am hoping to find a class near by that teaches photography so at least I get some understanding of the basics.Or maybe an on line class, on top of reading trough this forum.Thanks again.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Consider reading up on a few books first and then when you feel that you've outgrown your current camera, then upgrade to a dslr.
    Understanding exposure gets a lot of rave reviews.
    http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_2_txt?pf_rd_p=304485601&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-2&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0817437126&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=065F4P1GD4K7R3938GFV

I also like complete guide to digital photography by Rick Sammons myself.

http://www.amazon.com/Sammons-Complete-Guide-Digital-Photography/dp/0393329143/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219905834&sr=1-1