Options

Some advice for intrusive guest

JasonLJasonL Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited August 28, 2008 in Weddings
Hey guys, I am new to doing weddings. I just did my 2nd one.....I was not the main photographer, I was hired basicallay freelance. The one question I have is this. There was a lady at the wedding who was a guest who had her D SLR setup all ready and everytime there was a photo opp such as cake cutting, entrances etc.... She jumped right in front of the 2 of us and the video guy a few times, and basically would not move as we tried to squeeze in to get the good shots. I finally said to her in a nice way

"excuse me Ms. I am sure that the bride and groom are extremely happy that you are taking some great shots for them, but they did hire us and we are trying to get the best pictures for them so they can put their album together. Feel free to jump in after us to grab the shot but we really need clear access for the important photos"

She was kinda pissed off after that, but.....was I wrong? Is there a proper way to go about this? Some advise needed, thanks everyone.
So many toy's not enough money !

Nikon D300s. Nikon D40, Nikon FE, Nikon F
Ansco Ancoset Rangefinder, Rolleiflex TLR Sb800, sb400

Nikon 18-200 VR, nikon 18-55 II, Sigma 10 20 HSM, 50mm f1.8 ai-s, 50mm Non Ai f1.4

Comments

• Options
    MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    My little cousin got married recently, and most of our family is into photo. But they knew I'd be bringing my camera, and the bride was perfectly happy about it.

But fortunately, I was aware there would be professionals there, and I tried as much as I could to stay out of their way. I walked around them, behind them, and waited for them to stop shooting before I crossed in front of them.

I think this woman didn't think about things like that, and since she may have been family, thought she was doing them a favor. If you were polite then I think there would be nothing wrong with what you did. She was probably mad because if she was family, she thought you had no right to tell her what you did, but you had a job to do.

But that's just me.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    X2.

I'm not a pro, but been to a couple of weddings. The "hired" photog should have the right of way, unless told otherwise by the bride/groom. Easy enough to wait or step to the side for those "special moments", until the hired pro has done their "paid for" job.

I think your response was polite and appropriate. The guest may have simply been ignorant/oblivious; I wouldn't let it bother you. If you had truly faux pax'd, I'm sure you would have heard about it from the bride/groom.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    And seeing how much the hired guy was getting paid, I'm sure the bride would have been mad if they weren't able to do their job :D
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2008
    Thanks guys
    Thanks guys, I did not think I was being rude, but I still kinda fealt bad.....

Nikon 18-200 VR, nikon 18-55 II, Sigma 10 20 HSM, 50mm f1.8 ai-s, 50mm Non Ai f1.4
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Nah - you were way too easy on the pushy guest. This is why I carry the 70-200 f/2.8L IS - bonk them over the head when they get in the way. If they don't get the message with the first bonk, the second will lay them out. Gotta love the "L" construction.thumb.gif

But seriously folks - I think you handled it quite well. I don't think I would let her attitude as she was walking off in a huff bother you.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    big lens
    Nah - you were way too easy on the pushy guest. This is why I carry the 70-200 f/2.8L IS - bonk them over the head when they get in the way. If they don't get the message with the first bonk, the second will lay them out. Gotta love the "L" construction.thumb.gif

But seriously folks - I think you handled it quite well. I don't think I would let her attitude as she was walking off in a huff bother you.

next time i will have to borrow a 70 200 vr, batter up, or maybe I can take a shadey character with me next time to steal the guests camera....ha ha

• Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008

totally agree w/ scott here. i tend to be pretty forward with people and would have likely said something sooner. i always pick out one or two members of the wedding party and bride's family to shmooze up to; it helps the day go by easier. such a relationship would also help in this case... if she persisted to the point where i was missing shots, i would have asked someone in the wedding party to say something to her. only once in a great while do i ever encounter anyone that disrepectful.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    JasonL wrote:
    next time i will have to borrow a 70 200 vr, batter up, or maybe I can take a shadey character with me next time to steal the guests camera....ha ha

I know of a great shady character for hire.......:toni:thwak

I also concur with Mr. Quier
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    I have to totally disagree with Scott here (and start a C v N war in the process). A D2x or D3 with a 70-200 VR lens is a much heavier combination and is guaranteed to do more damage to the annoying guest.

The only advantage I see in Scott's Canon approach is that since his kit is lighter, he might be able to run faster if he fails to knock out the guest with one blow and has to make a quick retreat. I'm old and slow so I have to make the first hit count. rolleyes1.gif

To get back to the original question, I don't usually have much problem with Uncle (and Auntie) Bobs because I'm such a nice bloke and I like photographers in general. Having said that, I'm the guy with the job to do and I don't let them get in my way.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    I think you very polite about it and showed some restraint. The 2nd time this person stepped in front of me she definitely would have known about it, either because I would have did a somewhat loud clearing of my throat or would have "accidentally" bumped into her, or something that she got the point that she just got in my way and that not to do it again. Well I say this but I am not the type that gets angry and shows it, so I would have probably been nice, but then came to dgrin to talk to other photographers about what I would love to have done instead (like knock her in the head with a lightstand).

I haven't had anything like this happen to me yet (Knock on wood) but I have had a ton of friends, family, etc with p&s and as long as they don't affect my shot in some way than I am fine with it. Its just reality that you occasionally have to deal with something like this.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Y'know, a cheaper way to use Scott's method involves taking your monopod and recessing the rubber foot - you know what happens...that little spike comes out...maybe a little "poking and prodding" could be useful...

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    ha ha
    You are all too funny. i like the monopod commet hahaha funny poop......I am really new at this and really dont want to overstep my boundries. I can say though I had a ball doing the 2 weddings this month. I am also learning that everyone is very different. My first one the poeple were older and did not care much about pictures so 90% of them were just PJ, lots of candids. The one this weekend were to young people, mid 20's and they wanted tons of poses and got about 90 percent of that. I think i did pretty good for my second one. My editing will start tommorow with my friend who asked me to shoot this wih him. Maybe I will post a few up tonight, they are unedited, but hopefully some will like them

• Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    All it takes
    "You know, the bride and groom are paying me to get some specific shots of their wedding day. I'd love to work with you to be able to accomplish that. You'd hate to have them be disappointed that they didn't get what they requested for their album. So if you could respect their wishes, I'd appreciate it. When I am finished, you are welcome to step in and shoot them."
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    "You know, the bride and groom are paying me to get some specific shots of their wedding day. I'd love to work with you to be able to accomplish that. You'd hate to have them be disappointed that they didn't get what they requested for their album. So if you could respect their wishes, I'd appreciate it. When I am finished, you are welcome to step in and shoot them."
    But where's the fun in that? I still think the bonk on the head with the 70-200 f/2.8 IS is the way to go. It's clear, concise and there's no way the offending guest can miss the fact that they done something wrong! :D
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    rolleyes1.gifgiggle rolleyes1.gif :giggle
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008

Well, the first thing that happens after I give them the schpiel is that they get bonked before they have a chance to say no way!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2008
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I looked at some of your work, Very Nice.

• Options
    edited August 28, 2008
    Funny
    ChatKat wrote:
    Well, the first thing that happens after I give them the schpiel is that they get bonked before they have a chance to say no way!

Violence people ha ha No wonder I like you all. maybe I should get a cheep 600mm lens and put it on a old metal film body and label it the enforcer.............................