Options

Part 3 of 5 weeks in Vietnam - Sapa

mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
edited August 28, 2008 in Journeys
After a 10 hour overnight train from Hanoi, mf girlfriend and I arrive in Lao Cai the nearest major town to Sapa. It was predawn and we were both too tired to barter so just went with the first minibus that was heading up into the mountain. Just under 2 hours later after zigzagging around through heavy fog and low cloud we arrive in Sapa.
The temperature is just a few above 0 and we are both under prepared clothing wise :huh . Its damp cold and a little myserious with the low cloud only giving you a glimpse of your surroundings.

This is the view from the balcony of our hotel. A few minutes later it was gone again.
268020469_WnUTa-XL.jpg

After a sleep under a electric blanket and a hot breakfast it was time for an explore of town.

The local markets, the level above and right was all clothing.
268020500_HikFc-XL.jpg

Anyone need a heart starter... Snake wine, usually about 70-80% alcohol!
268020739_6HK7s-L.jpg

Sapa is well known for all the surrounding minority tribes that use town as a place to trade with other tribes as well as us tourists.

Walking some buffalo to the markets from Cat Cat village
268022468_zHDZP-L.jpg

These 3 girls wanted me to buy jewellery, when I said I wasn't shopping today as my girlfriend was unwell, they gave me 2 bracelets to give her free of charge. I later agreed to meet these 3 the following day and buy something from them.
268022450_d6eov-L.jpg

They're such beautiful people you can't help but buy stuff just to get a photo.
268022080_Go4g2-XL.jpg

268028351_Ek2kG-L.jpg

In the evenings when the temps drop a little lower the fog and rain settle in.
Its very atmospheric since without the street lights you really could just wonder around with no bearings whatsoever.
268028567_qdqAZ-L.jpg

The following day we visited the closest village, which is about a 3 hour round trip.
2 local ladies joined us for the walk explaining about there way of life and the villages they were from. At the end of the walk we did buy a few presents from them as they were better than any official guide.

The actuall villages is spread out down the hill side below
268028188_DCSiX-XL.jpg

268031044_kszGM-L.jpg

At the bottom of the hill all the stream joined up and tumbled gracefully over the rocks. I tried for a slow water shot, without a tripod.
268032872_7XTru-L.jpg

On our last day in Sapa the clouds appeared to clear enough for me to race up to the radio tower and a hopefully view of the whole area.
You can just see the peak and radio mast in the top right.
268033251_WC7q2-L.jpg

I took shots from every vantage point on the way up in case the clouds rolled in and I lost my view. This is about half way up.
269068965_JPpWW-L.jpg

The path up was lined with all sorts of plants and there was a full nursery and exotic plant display at about 2 thirds height.
269069191_HtJ8T-L.jpg

From the radio tower the view wasn't as good as I hoped but I could see another high point and had a better view.
269069263_NgnFs-L.jpg

You could also see the garden display below.
269070772_KZRkB-L.jpg

Selling hats near the garden pictured above.
269070807_yrTiW-L.jpg

Back in town before we left, while my girlfriend sent an email I played with my zoom lens getting some none posed shots of the locals.
269080692_546DZ-L.jpg

269080522_YKzTd-L.jpg

269080339_VdJgp-L.jpg

Now it was time to hop back on the mini bus and back down the mountains and back on our overnight train to Hanoi. The bus was too crammed to get my camera out and it was too dark when we arrived at the train station.
Time to move on, next stop Hoi An

Feel free to drop a comment or critique on anything above :thumb
May I take your picture?

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Holly cow, these are fantastic images.thumb.gif The water shot is terrific even without a tripod. What happened to parts 1 and 2, or they're not posted yet? Keep it coming and thanks for sharing.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    Holly cow, these are fantastic images.thumb.gif The water shot is terrific even without a tripod. What happened to parts 1 and 2, or they're not posted yet? Keep it coming and thanks for sharing.

Cuong

Thanks Cuong. I have posted the other parts i've just been lazy in adding moreheadscratch.gif

Part 1 - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=89152
    Part 2 - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=89488

and I just added a collection of panorama's from this trip as well
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=95716
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    mushy wrote:
    Thanks Cuong. I have posted the other parts i've just been lazy in adding moreheadscratch.gif

Part 1 - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=89152
    Part 2 - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=89488

and I just added a collection of panorama's from this trip as well
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=95716

Haven't been anywhere north of Hue yet. Sort of hard to do when visiting the wifes family. But we're planning on getting to SaPa and Ha Long Bay sometime on one of our many more visits. Thanks for posting the journey to give me the fix till I make it there!
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    I saw part 2 before, just couldn't remember it's been that long ago. Thanks for the link to part 1.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif love the images!!...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Great shots.thumb.gif I think I'll pass on the Wine though.mwink.gif
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    summerz wrote:
    Great shots.thumb.gif I think I'll pass on the Wine though.mwink.gif

If you changed your mine let me know, I have a bottle sitting in the closet. Mine has a cobra with a scorpion hanging out of it's mouth. Also purchased another bottle for a friend this last trip.

Um... no I do not plan on trying it.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    How interesting. I've not seen the shirts that the women wear before.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2008
    Thanks all for your kind words, Sapa is a stunning and magical place with beautiful friendly (if not a little persistent) people, great food, quaint little villages and an absolutely stunning vista.
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    colfraglesscolfragless Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    that first shoot is simply amazing... also like the shot of the gardens (or at least that what i think that is....)

~sparky~
    A Day where One can Spend all day doing something they Love is a wonderful day in deed... ~sparky~

Sparkyphotography.net
  • Options
    SpagbagSpagbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Wow, I love your images, especially of the people in Sapa - it looks like a wonderful trip.

This is the part of Vietnam I missed out when I went there, but I shall have to return one day, as it looks amazing. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    Spagbag wrote:
    Wow, I love your images, especially of the people in Sapa - it looks like a wonderful trip.

This is the part of Vietnam I missed out when I went there, but I shall have to return one day, as it looks amazing. thumb.gif

Thanks Colfragless and Spagbag, Sapa is well worth the journey thats for sure, it was one of my favourite places in Vietnam.
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    hey mushy!

beautiful images of an even more gorgeous part of Vietnam. We just came from Vietnam and Sapa was one of my favorite places. thumb.gif

It's great to see this part (and other parts) of Vietnam in your photos. I've just posted some photos of my own if your interested mwink.gif

Thanks for reminding me about a great place! clap.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    hey mushy!

beautiful images of an even more gorgeous part of Vietnam. We just came from Vietnam and Sapa was one of my favorite places. thumb.gif

It's great to see this part (and other parts) of Vietnam in your photos. I've just posted some photos of my own if your interested mwink.gif

Thanks for reminding me about a great place! clap.gif

Thanks for the comments ChrissieBeez, it looks like you ran into a few familiar faces in Sapa, I'll be looking back at your gallery regularily now for new updates, looks like you had a fun trip too thumb.gif
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Very beautiful loved the pic of kids with Umbrella clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery