Options

Nikon d50 (help w/accessories)

celesteceleste Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited August 30, 2008 in Cameras
I have a nikon d50 with a 18-55mm lens and also a 70-300mm lens and a speedlight. I want to add more accessories. Anyone have suggestions on what to add next. I shoot mostly outdoor photos. Thanks:ivar

Comments

• Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    When you say outdoors, what do you mean (i.e. wildlife, portraits, sports)

I shoot with a D50 as well and shoot mostly portraits. If you are doing the same I'd say to start looking at fast lenses now. The Nikkor 50MM f1.8 prime lens is the obvious first choice. Its only $110. The Nikkor 85MM f1.8 is another good choice at about $385. Then there are the fast zooms. May be a Tamron 28-75MM f2.8 (~$350), or the 18-55MM f2.8(~$400). I just got the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 (~$700) and I love it. There are fast Nikon Zooms as well, but they are much more expensive. You might also want to add a reflector(~$40), a off shoe cord (~$50), or flash triggers (~$80 - 400 depending on the model).

If you are into nature or sports, you want something longer such as the Nikkor 70-300 VR (~$480).
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    Thanks, could you please give me more info on the shoe cord, I have been thinking of getting this. What model?or where would you purchase it from.

thanks
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    Nikon currently makes two. The SC-28 ($49), and the SC-29($75). The sc-29 just includes an IR unit to help with autofocus and exposure I believe. I'm actually using and older one (SC-17) that I bought for about $15 used on DGRIN.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    ok, now what do you put your flash on. Will it mount to a tripod, do i need something else for that....thanks so much for your help.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    The bottom of the shoe on the TTL cord does have a threaded port so you could put it on a tripod, a light stand, a flash bracket, or a lot of times I just hold it in my left hand. I would suggest a light stand so that you could mount it with an umbrella.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 30, 2008
    Celeste, please post questions/discussions in the "Cameras" forum. Nikon Land is the Nikon subsection of the Flea-Market (For Sale / Want to Buy - specific).

Thanks, I've moved this thread. I've also added some detail to your thread title to help get you more responses.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    Celeste, a good tripod is also something you'll need, a fisheye lens can be fun to play with, and a wide angle lens. I currently have the 20mm AF-D and it works well.

What's your budget, Taco Bell or Waldorf Astoria?

What do you shoot outdoors?