Options

pricing w/in a gallery not taking

J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited August 29, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I am trying to set up pricing for a particular gallery (Some of my Favorites).

I have my portfolio already priced. I have printable selected in this particular gallery.

I am trying to set prices in the gallery, I have selected pricing from a previously priced gallery that I set up, I have tried both empty and filled, and then selected preview but it will not enter my prices into the price. When I have tried apply prices, the prices don't keep and they are only at default sm price.

I can't seem to figure out what else I am doing wrong?

Ideas? Thanks
John "J.T."
http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    I'm having a Pro Pricing issue right now too. None of my previously priced galleries are populating in the bulk pricing tool.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    anyone?
    Any ideas why at least two of us are having pricing problems, similar or not?

headscratch.gif
    John "J.T."

Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    J.T. wrote:
    Any ideas why at least two of us are having pricing problems, similar or not?

headscratch.gif

The user interface for pricing can be a bit tricky and it's fairly easy to think you are setting a price, but have it not be something that will apply to the current gallery. If you are trying to set specific prices for a gallery, here are some things to look for:
    1. When you go to the pricing dialog, make sure it says "Setting prices for: Gallery". The word "Gallery" should not have an underline (which means it is the selected item).
    2. Set your prices (probably using the Bulk Tools).
    3. Hit the "Preview" button to see what all the prices would come out.
    4. Correct anything you don't like.
    5. Hit "Apply Prices".
    How, here's the tricky part. Prices are applied in the following order.

Default first
    Then Portfolio pricing if it exists
    Then Gallery pricing if it exists
    Then Image pricing if it exists

The last one that exists is the one that sets the price for any given image/gallery. If you have image pricing, you can set gallery or portfolio pricing all day long on that image and nothing will change.

A blank price means that no price is set for that level. So if all gallery and image prices are blank, then portfolio prices would take precedence.

A price of zero means that you do not want to offer that product for sale.

The Preview button is really flaky. It's a bit of a misnomer because what it really does is load the prices into the edit fields from the two drop-downs to the left of it. It will wipe out any prices you've manually entered. So, if you think of it as a "Load prices by my bulk rules" button, then it's easier to realize what it does.

Is this as clear as mud. I hope something here was helpful. It is all very confusing. The UI buttons are confusing and there's no easy way to see which level (portfolio, gallery, image) has a price set so you can determine what is really causing the price to be as it is.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    still not taking
    jfriend wrote:
    The user interface for pricing can be a bit tricky and it's fairly easy to think you are setting a price, but have it not be something that will apply to the current gallery. If you are trying to set specific prices for a gallery, here are some things to look for:
    1. When you go to the pricing dialog, make sure it says "Setting prices for: Gallery". The word "Gallery" should not have an underline (which means it is the selected item).
    2. Set your prices (probably using the Bulk Tools).
    3. Hit the "Preview" button to see what all the prices would come out.
    4. Correct anything you don't like.
    5. Hit "Apply Prices".
    How, here's the tricky part. Prices are applied in the following order.

Default first
    Then Portfolio pricing if it exists
    Then Gallery pricing if it exists
    Then Image pricing if it exists

The last one that exists is the one that sets the price for any given image/gallery. If you have image pricing, you can set gallery or portfolio pricing all day long on that image and nothing will change.

A blank price means that no price is set for that level. So if all gallery and image prices are blank, then portfolio prices would take precedence.

A price of zero means that you do not want to offer that product for sale.

The Preview button is really flaky. It's a bit of a misnomer because what it really does is load the prices into the edit fields from the two drop-downs to the left of it. It will wipe out any prices you've manually entered. So, if you think of it as a "Load prices by my bulk rules" button, then it's easier to realize what it does.

Is this as clear as mud. I hope something here was helpful. It is all very confusing. The UI buttons are confusing and there's no easy way to see which level (portfolio, gallery, image) has a price set so you can determine what is really causing the price to be as it is.

jfriend,

Thanks for the explanation and response. Well I looked at your directions and they are all what I tried. I even tried setting the items I don't want to sell to $0 that match the previous / bulk gallery I am trying to pull from and it still doesn't take. When my mouse hovers over the preview button at the bottom of my screen I get the following message: javascript:void(0);. Does this mean anything?

Any other suggestions?
    John "J.T."

Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D

SB 600

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    J.T. wrote:
    jfriend,

Thanks for the explanation and response. Well I looked at your directions and they are all what I tried. I even tried setting the items I don't want to sell to $0 that match the previous / bulk gallery I am trying to pull from and it still doesn't take. When my mouse hovers over the preview button at the bottom of my screen I get the following message: javascript:void(0);. Does this mean anything?

Any other suggestions?

I can't see your pricing stuff so that's about all the help I can offer. I guess I'd suggest emailing the help desk because they can see your prices and can offer an additional level of help.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    thanks
    jfriend wrote:
    I can't see your pricing stuff so that's about all the help I can offer. I guess I'd suggest emailing the help desk because they can see your prices and can offer an additional level of help.

Thanks for your time. Have a good weekend.
    John "J.T."

Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D

SB 600