Options

Film. . . BW

InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
edited August 31, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
After seeing some other post with some black and white shots with real film, I decided to try some out for myself.

I'd love to give you a breakdown on the EXIF data, but it was only when I loaded up LR to look that I realized you don't get any EXIF with real film. (Yep, pretty much raised on digital.)

Anyway, the film is some ISO 100 Chinese stuff that goes for just over a buck here in Cina. The camera is a Nikon F50 borrowed from a friend. The lenses used were either a Nikon 35mm F2 or a Nikon 50 1.4.

I had to develop the film myself acutally and then it was scanned by some lab. Unfortunately, it was a fairly low quality scan, probably only suitable for 4X6's (or the internet.) I wish film scanners weren't so expensive here.

I actually love this film. The window's are't blown out and clipped. I can actually see the railing details through the windows on some shots. The lattitude is amazing. I think some of the film was a tad overexposed though, but this was my first attempt so I'm pretty happy. Plus, I find the bokeh to be stunning. The lenses are great with film.

Some PP curves and levels adjustments done.

Pipes and laundry:
CNV000022-2-Editcopycopy.jpg
CNV000027-Editcopycopy.jpg
CNV000030-Editcopycopy.jpg
CNV000039-Editcopycopy.jpg
CNV000034-Editcopycopy.jpg

Please tell me what you think.

Comments

• Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    By the way, does anyone have any experience with the C-41 type BW films? I'm interested in trying those out, but not if they are "fake" BW films. I'm mainly interested in the extreme exposure lattitude of BW film.
  • Options
    saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Well, first off let me tell you that I really like your shot #1.

But then, and not to bonk your enthusiasm for b/w film on the head - you are comparing apples and oranges! Apples being film processed by you personally to your liking (yes, methods of developing already influence the outcome of your prints), or by a lab; and then printing the pics as to personal taste, preferences and skill level on certain paper, at a certain temperature, while applying a variety of filters of your choice.

Oranges being taking a shot with your digital camera and then maniupulating brightness, contrast, color cast and whatever else you can think of in some digital imaging program like Photoshop, Lightroom, Corel Photopaint, you name it - which to the best and better of their capabilities only mimic the processes/steps you'd apply in an actual darkroom .

Unfortunately, you are currently confuddeling the both by taking film shots, then digitizing them and concluding that film is better than a digital original. Don't make that mistake! Once you digitize film, it is no different from any other digital image, it cannot be manipulated to it's own advantage any longer. Whether highlights/shadows are captured appropriately has less to do with which medium you use and more with your skill as a photographer. Actually you'll find that you have much more leeway there with the ever popular digital .RAW format and the instant review of your histogram, than you will ever have with a film camera.

I wish you all the best in your adventures clap.gif. Show us some more pics!
    Jana
    all that we see or seem
    is but a dream within a dream
    - Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
    http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com