<Mini Challenge #10 - Texture

dlibrachdlibrach Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
edited September 11, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Our last challenge dealt with 2 of my 3 favorite subject matters so it is only seemed natural that I should choose the other one for this challenge......TEXTURES.:D

Capturing texture with a camera can be quite challenging. Let us not forget that we are trying to re-create a 3D object using technology that only see things in 2D. However, sometimes we come across an image that just makes us want to reach out and run our fingers along it. We can almost feel all the little bumps on the surface or how silky smooth it all is or see all the individual brush strokes that have been applied.

For this challenge, I want you to post images that'll make me want to reach out and touch them.

To help you along the way, here are a few things to look out for with capturing textures:

* Light - Probably one of the most influential aspects of capturing textures has to do with light. The contrast between light and dark can have a huge impact on the how the viewer interacts with the image.
* Color - The subtle changes in hues, luminosity, color...etc can also really help bring out those textures
* Context - This can be a tricky one but something you need to be conscious of. Sometimes knowing what is being photographed helps make the connection for the viewer but other times that lack of knowledge is what brings the viewer in.

This challenge will run from Wednesday, August 27th thru Wednesday, September 10th (Midnight) Eastern Standard Time and the winners will be announced Thursday, September 11th.

I'll post the winner in a new thread titled: <<< MINI CHALLENGE #10 Winner >>>

~~~~~
*GENERAL RULES*

1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some criticism, put an asterisk (*) next to the title of the image.

Guidelines:
1. When posting your picture in this thread, change the Subject of your post to display your picture title. (not really needed)
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
* The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
* Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
* Please remove any photos from previous posts.

*** PREVIOUS Challenges ****
#1 BIF's won by Jwear
#2 Birds won by davev
#3 Treasures won by Justiceiro
#4 All That Remains won by JAG
#5 Playing With Light won by davev
#6 Black and White won by Rhommel
#7 Self Portrait won by shatch
#8 The Every Day Mundane won by paulthomasmckee
#9 Abstract/Minimalism won by dlibrach

Comments