Options

Glass Wishlist, Suggestions/Recommendations? :)

Photo JoePhoto Joe Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited September 4, 2008 in Cameras
So I’m fairly new to the whole DSLR realm, but was able to pick up an XSi earlier this summer, and have been loving it thus far. I’ve definitely got a lot to learn, but its been nothing but fun so far. Right now I’m using two fairly cheap/bottom of the line Canon lens, and am looking to upgrade in the future. I’m living in Alaska, and doing a lot of hiking and climbing, so I’ve got my eye on a wide angle lens for panoramic and scenic shots, as well as a telephoto zoom lens for wildlife. I also wouldn’t mind picking up an average day-to-day lens that would be versatile for various other things.

While I’ve only briefly looked at 3rd party lenses, I work at a computer store that sells canon products as well, so I can get lenses at cost, and thus have only seriously looked at theirs.

Here’s what I use now:
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Telephoto Options:
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Wide Angle Options:
EF 28mm f/1.8 USM
EF 20mm f/2.8 USM
EF 17-40mm f/4L USM (Though probably a bit pricy for me at this point)

Day to Day Lens:
EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

So thats what I’ve been looking at so far, I was hoping for a little feedback or suggestions by anyone who’s either used those lenses, or might recommend something else. Also, on a slightly different note, does glass hold a fairly good resell value when it comes to buying new pieces and selling what I’ve got now? Any good resources for that, or buying used lenses at a discounted price?

Thanks for any advice someone can offer!
Equipment:
Canon - 40D, 24-105mm f/4 L
Sigma - 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 150mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.4
Other - Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited August 30, 2008
    For a crop 1.6x Canon camera, I really recommend looking at:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm, F2.8 IS USM for a standard zoom
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f4L IS USM plus a 1.4x teleconverter for the long zoom
    One of the 10-22mm-ish lenses for a super-wide zoom

Add one of the Canon 50mm lenses (f1.8 or f1.4 USM) and you have a very complete system. (The EF 35mm, f2 is a fairly viable fast prime if you want a more standard FOV.)

The 17-55mm zoom is the first lens I would acquire, and then the 70-200mm. I know this is a lot of money to tie up in lenses but these lenses are worth it.

The super-wide purchase can be delayed using one of the modern stitching software packages and multiple images form the 17-55mm.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    It is a very common questions - what should I buy next?

My reply to my friends is just wait, try to play with the new camera and the kit lens for a year before decide what to do with the camera.

There are so many things we can do with the camera - just causal photo with family and friends in some social occassions, enjoy the landscape with travelling during vacation, getting a pretty girl friend by taking their nice portrait, appreciate the nature by taking the photo of birds, flower or insects. If you want to do all, money and time will never be enough.

So, it would be better to use what we have in hand and see what we enjoy the most then focus on that area first. Once you "master" that area, then move on to expand to other area with more toys.

XSi is 1.6X crop, the 2 lens covers from 30 mm to 400 mm. It is a pretty good coverage for most of the occassions. You can actually take most photo you like. Those lenses you are considering is a bit overlapping.

The other consideration is whether you will move on to upgrade the camera to 1.3X or full frame camera body. If you do, it is necessary to consider the EF lens instead of the EF-S lenses for future.

Other than the lens, you may consider some other accessories such as light weight tripod, flash gun, remote contol and software.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2008
    Boy, if only money was no object, even buying brand new at cost from my jobUnfortunately I'm fresh out of college, aka broke, haha.

I suppose I look at my camera as a long term investment, something that will last (hopefully) quiet a number of years. But you've lost me on the 1.6x vs. 1.3x cameras and EF vs EF-S lenses. Could you possibly explain the differences to me?

Perhaps I'll look into that 17-55mm a little more, seems like it would be much more versatile than a sheer telephoto, or wide angle lens. Think that lens would work well with macro subjects?

As far as putting money into other accessories, I think I'm doing well so far. Software wise I'm using Aperture, which thus far is more than sufficient, and gear wise I've gotten some cases that should do me well. A tripod and remote might be handy though.
    Equipment:
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2008
    I am also struggling between time, money and hobby. Want to buy everything I want but the reality does not allow me to do it immediately. That is the reason to "wait and see". Just to familiar what I have and maximize the return before move on to invest more.

Thru the years (more than 10 years), I collected quite a bit of toys. It is a real long term investment.

Nowadays, many consumer DSLR has a smaller sensor and it makes the lens longer than the stated focal length. For XSi, it is 1.6 times. Many lens, the EF-S, is special design for such camera body. As it use less glass mass, it is lighter and relatively cheaper. Unfortunately, such lenses cannot be use for the camera body with bigger sensors.

There are some "professional" camera body which has bigger sensor and even similar to the 35 mm film.

As it is a long term investment, what we purchase today may be used for the next 5 -10 years. If you are keen to do photography more seriously, you may start the right plan today. If you got the full range of the EF-S lenses which may limit your future options.

I am not saying smaller sensor is not good, but if you have a choice today, you may not want to limit yourself in future.
    Photoskipper
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2008
    Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of the significance between the EF and EF-S series lenses, besides cost of course, haha. I'll be sure to factor that into my decision, though it wouldn't seem terribly surprising for Canon continue creating 1.6x crop sensor cameras in the future. I don't foresee myself going pro anytime soon, and even the EF-S serious lenses should have a decent resell value if worse comes to worse.

So I've been doing a little research an the 17-55mm f/2.8, and the general impression is its a fantastic all around lens. And without a doubt would be a great replacement for my 'ol 18-55mm f/3.5. Likewise I've also read up a bit more on Canon's 28-135mm, and both lenses seem to be great all around day to day glass.

I'm leaning towards the 17-55 now since it'll maintain more of a wide angle feel for shooting landscape, and I can always tote around my 55-250 for telephoto, but nonetheless I was hoping someone might have some personal experience with both lenses and could offer any advice / opinions :D
    Equipment:
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    A couple of thought for you to ponder...

When you buy a camera, you are buying into a system and that turns out to be a long-term investment.

Buying a camera body is a relatively short-term investment - camera bodies come and go. But, glass is a very long-term investment - it hangs around forever. And, as long as it's good glass, you will be happy with it for as long as you have it.

Which gets me to my last point. Buy the right glass the first time. It's much cheaper in the long run. When you buy consumer grade glass, you soon learn that it was designed/built with a number of compromises, some of them quite significant and you learn that you "can't live with these issues." So you try to sell it so you can upgrade. The problem is, consumer grade glass doesn't hold value for a re-sale like the better glass does. Listen to Ziggy; as usual he is spot on with his recommendations. I have and love the 17-55 as well as the 10-22. Both are super sharp. The 17-55 is my work-horse, the first lens I think to mount on my camera body when I start to consider the tools needed to capture a desired image. As for the 70-200 f/4L - that is a best of breed lens; there is none better. With that kit, you will be happy for many, many years to come.

As for the comment about considering/buying for the possibility of upgrading to either the 1.3 or the FF camera bodies - well if you do eventually decide to do that, buying the quality glass now will enable you to sell it at a good price later. But, you really want to buy what you need now, not what you might need in years to come. Buy the tool you need, when you need it; buying quality will allow you to buy it only once. That's the cheapest way to get it done.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2008
    Photo Joe wrote:
    Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of the significance between the EF and EF-S series lenses, besides cost of course, haha. I'll be sure to factor that into my decision, though it wouldn't seem terribly surprising for Canon continue creating 1.6x crop sensor cameras in the future. I don't foresee myself going pro anytime soon, and even the EF-S serious lenses should have a decent resell value if worse comes to worse.

So I've been doing a little research an the 17-55mm f/2.8, and the general impression is its a fantastic all around lens. And without a doubt would be a great replacement for my 'ol 18-55mm f/3.5. Likewise I've also read up a bit more on Canon's 28-135mm, and both lenses seem to be great all around day to day glass.

I'm leaning towards the 17-55 now since it'll maintain more of a wide angle feel for shooting landscape, and I can always tote around my 55-250 for telephoto, but nonetheless I was hoping someone might have some personal experience with both lenses and could offer any advice / opinions :D

Great to learn that you know what you want. the 18-55 F2.8 is a great all-round lens and allow you to carry it to walk around and take most of pictures. It is a bit expensive but worth to invest.
    Photoskipper
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Another lens to consider in regards to shooting wildlife would be the 300 f4 prime with a 1.4 extender. It is light and works great with a converter. In low light, you can take the converter off and you still have a reasonably fast lens. Focus isn't fast, but the IQ and convenience make up for it.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2008
    Ok, yet another question. I am slow but sure making up my mind about lenses to upgrade to here in the (hopefully) near future. So yesterday I did some digging on the 17-55mm lens, and other day to day lenses, today I'm plugging away at the 70-200mm instead.

The 1.4x extender seems like a nice compliment to the 70-200mm, making it approximately 98-280mm, but why wouldn't I just get a 70/100-300mm~esk lens instead?

Also with the 1.6x crop factor of my XSi does that mean with a 1.4x extender I get a total 2.0x factor? Is the formula
    (1.4+.6)70-200mm = 140-400mm mwink.gif
    or
    ((70-200mm)1.4x)1.6x = 157-448mm? naughty.gif

I somehow doubt I would be so lucky as to have the second scenario work, but I just thought I'd check.
    Equipment:
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Photo Joe wrote:
    Ok, yet another question. I am slow but sure making up my mind about lenses to upgrade to here in the (hopefully) near future. So yesterday I did some digging on the 17-55mm lens, and other day to day lenses, today I'm plugging away at the 70-200mm instead.

The 1.4x extender seems like a nice compliment to the 70-200mm, making it approximately 98-280mm, but why wouldn't I just get a 70/100-300mm~esk lens instead?

Also with the 1.6x crop factor of my XSi does that mean with a 1.4x extender I get a total 2.0x factor? Is the formula
    or

I somehow doubt I would be so lucky as to have the second scenario work, but I just thought I'd check.
    There isn't a good x-300mm zoom lens out there right now.

The crop factor and the TC multiplier works like (70 - 200) * 1.6 * 1.4 ===> 156 - 448
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2008
    Photo Joe wrote:

or

You are right, the calculation is correct. But it is necessary to consider the f stop change with the TC. 1.4X will slow down one stop such as the F2.8 becomes f4 or f4 becomes F5.6. For 2X, it slow down 2 stops such as the F2.8 becomes 5.6 and the F4 becomes F8.

As old rules, the shuttle speed should be at least 1/focal lenght. It means the 448 mm needs a 1/500 sec at F5.6.

Althought highter ISO may help in certain way, please onsider a lens with IS and give you some more rooms on the shutter speed. bTW the fast lens + IS = $$$$$
    Photoskipper
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    A BIG bump on the 17-50. Great lens. I shot with it daily.

I also just got a 120-300 f/2.8 Sigma. Pricey but nice.

• Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    Anybody have suggestions on wide angles? Unfortunately none of my local photography friends have much info / experience with them.

Recommendations between a 10-22mm vs. the 17-40mm L? Both are about the same price, is the L series worth losing the 7mm of ultra wide angle views?
    Equipment:
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    I think the best buy is the Canon 70-200 f4. You just can not go wrong with this lens. Everytime I use it, I grin from ear to ear. It is a wonderful lens, amazingly sharp and fun to use. Well worth losing the 100mm over the 70-300, and you can always get the 1.4tc later.

The only way you can go wrong is if you think you should have bought the 70-200 f2.8 IS instead. mwink.gif

As for wide angle, I really like my Sigma 10-20m EX. It is a great lens. However, a few things: 1) I rarely push it to 10mm, and when I do, it is really to get a wide shot knowing it will look wide. At 10mm, there is lens distortion. Its fun, but really not serious (IMHO). 2) it is not much cheaper than the Canon 10-22 or the 17-40L.

Having really wide is fun, and I use the lens often, but I probably would use the 17-40 more often if I had to do it again.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited September 3, 2008
    Photo Joe wrote:
    Anybody have suggestions on wide angles? Unfortunately none of my local photography friends have much info / experience with them.

Recommendations between a 10-22mm vs. the 17-40mm L? Both are about the same price, is the L series worth losing the 7mm of ultra wide angle views?

The Canon EF 17-40mm, f4L USM is more of a "standard" zoom range on the Canon crop 1.6x cameras. I would use it considerably more than a super-wide like the Canon EF-S 10-22mm, f3.5-f4.5 USM just because there are usually more opportunities for the standard range.

If you really need the super-wide angle zoom, the 17mm may not always be enough on the 17-40mm lens. Situations like interiors, especially in smaller rooms, vista landscapes and architectural photography are all good applications for the super-wide zooms.

You have to decide which range is going to be more important and then purchase that lens first. Eventually you will probably want something in the other range as well.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Build wise, your 18-55mm IS and 55-250mm zooms are so-so but optically they are fine lenses.

Buying another lens in the similar range may not give you much difference in the actual image you can produce.

Since you hike and such consider an ultrawide like a Sigma 10-20 or a Canon 10-24mm zoom. It would give you a field of view and perspective that you cannot get with the lenses you have or have been looking at.

Another option would be a macro for nice detail shots of flowers and such. If you aren't finding that the lenses limitations aren't limiting you at this point, you may not need to upgrade yet.

Good luck.