Options

Quick Photoshoot

ShadowShadow Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited September 1, 2008 in People
Hey Dgrinners!

Here are a few photos of my comedian friend. We were walking around in downtown culver city when the lighting seemed just perfect. I had to take the opportunity to run and grab the camera. And here is the result of our unplanned photoshoot. Please tell me what you think and feel free to critique. I am new and welcome criticism.

I used a Canon 40D. 10-22mm f3.5-4.5, 28-135mm f 3.5-5.6, and 50mm f 1.8.

Light source 580EX II attached to a monopod w/ an 32" shoot through white umbrella.

362173262_VFb5o-M-1.jpg

362173395_frjvd-M-1.jpg

362173378_7sbxi-M-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Shadow wrote:
    Hey Dgrinners!

Here are a few photos of my comedian friend. We were walking around in downtown culver city when the lighting seemed just perfect. I had to take the opportunity to run and grab the camera. And here is the result of our unplanned photoshoot. Please tell me what you think and feel free to critique. I am new and welcome criticism.

I used a Canon 40D. 10-22mm f3.5-4.5, 28-135mm f 3.5-5.6, and 50mm f 1.8.

Light source 580EX II attached to a monopod w/ an 32" shoot through white umbrella.
    clap.gif Very nice! clap.gif
    I like the fact you were not afraid using a WA lens for portrait, very bold! thumb.gif

Did you use manual or ETTL mode on the flash?
    Also, what did you use to trigger: cord, ST-E2, PW, something else?

My only couple if nits:
    #1: I'd say it's to much of a contrast between the face and evertything else, but maybe you were going for it. And watch for the trees growing from your subject's head:-)

And #3 is my fav, looks like you gelled the flash on it, too, no?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ShadowShadow Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 1, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    clap.gif Very nice! clap.gif
    I like the fact you were not afraid using a WA lens for portrait, very bold! thumb.gif

Did you use manual or ETTL mode on the flash?
    Also, what did you use to trigger: cord, ST-E2, PW, something else?

My only couple if nits:
    #1: I'd say it's to much of a contrast between the face and evertything else, but maybe you were going for it. And watch for the trees growing from your subject's head:-)

And #3 is my fav, looks like you gelled the flash on it, too, no?

On the flash I used manual and just meticulously adjusted until I got a good reading on the histogram. I have no light meter as of yet. For the cord I switched between the OC-E3 and just a straight PC sync cable.

On #3 I hadn't used a gel. That is straight from camera minus a some blemish removal. I am quite pleased with how the color temperature turned out.

Thanks for the reply I'll keep an eye out for those head trees next time.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Shadow wrote:
    On the flash I used manual and just meticulously adjusted until I got a good reading on the histogram. I have no light meter as of yet. For the cord I switched between the OC-E3 and just a straight PC sync cable.

On #3 I hadn't used a gel. That is straight from camera minus a some blemish removal. I am quite pleased with how the color temperature turned out.

Thanks for the reply I'll keep an eye out for those head trees next time.

I have been using Sekonic L-308S FlashMate for 3 or 4 years already. It's fairly inexpensive (in dslr world terms:-) yet it covers 98% of my needs, even with my studio multi-light setups.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"