Options

Death Valley

SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited April 15, 2005 in Landscapes
I was most fortunate to have the opportunity to see and photograph Death Valley for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Mother Nature is awesome- what else can I say? This is my first time trying landscape photography and the first time that I used a circular polarizer- now I'm sold on it.
The whole gallery is here: http://susanb.smugmug.com/gallery/455072

There is a big variety of sites to view, from the flower fields

18350830-L-1.jpg

in a lot of wind too

18483917-L.jpg

amidst the majesty of the hills and mountains

18350835-L.jpg

18350837-L.jpg

to the water filled for the first time in 500 years, Lake Manly

18483888-L.jpg

18483893-L.jpg

to the surrounding Panamint mountains

18350833-L.jpg

to the sand dunes

18350822-L.jpg

18350840-L.jpg

to Death Valley junction preserved in time

18516904-L.jpg

across from the Amargosa Hotel and Opera House

18516903-L.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Susan

Comments

• Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Incredible views....a benefit of the rain this year. I'm going to foward this link to my neighbor who really wanted to make the trip.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Excellent Set Susan
    Don't have a favorite cause I like each one thumb.gif

thanks for the views clap.gif
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Excellent Set Susan
    Don't have a favorite cause I like each one thumb.gif

thanks for the views clap.gif

Good work, enjoyed seeing them with commentary, instead of clicking over in smugmug. Sorry I couldn't go with you!
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2005
    SusanB wrote:
    I was most fortunate to have the opportunity to see and photograph Death Valley for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Mother Nature is awesome- what else can I say? This is my first time trying landscape photography and the first time that I used a circular polarizer- now I'm sold on it.

There is a big variety of sites to view, from the flower fields

Thanks for looking,
    Susan
    Thanks for the comments everyone, I'm so glad that you are enjoying them.

Susan
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Very nice shots! I need to get my butt up there this year. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Susan
    Beautiful photos
    Very colorful spring shots

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    SusanB wrote:

A lovely collection of shots. I was lucky enough to get there too. And if this is your first landscape outing you have a great natural talent.

regards,

Gary
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2005
    gpgold wrote:
    SusanB wrote:

A lovely collection of shots. I was lucky enough to get there too. And if this is your first landscape outing you have a great natural talent.

regards,

Gary
    Oh my, thank you Gary! <blushing> I have had a try at the local poppies, the local beach scene- mostly for the folks there and the birds, a couple of suburban scapes. DV is the first time that I went out to capture the vistas of terra firma and it is going to be very difficult to top, if at all, considering the incredible diversity that kept unfolding before me as I traveled up highway 178 at such a rare moment in time after the unprecendented rains. I did have the benefit of asking another photographer about the use of a polarizer, and the circular polarizer was a wondrous thing to bring out the blue skies and sharpness in the images.

Thanks so much for your kind and most encouraging comments,

Susan
  • Options
    gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2005
    SusanB wrote:
    Oh my, thank you Gary! <blushing> I have had a try at the local poppies, the local beach scene- mostly for the folks there and the birds, a couple of suburban scapes. DV is the first time that I went out to capture the vistas of terra firma and it is going to be very difficult to top, if at all, considering the incredible diversity that kept unfolding before me as I traveled up highway 178 at such a rare moment in time after the unprecendented rains. I did have the benefit of asking another photographer about the use of a polarizer, and the circular polarizer was a wondrous thing to bring out the blue skies and sharpness in the images.

Thanks so much for your kind and most encouraging comments,

Susan
    Susan,

I drove to Tahoe two weeks ago (instead of flying) for a business trip. 20 hours in the car over three days (alone) because we have been blessed with incredible sights this Spring. The Mojave - stunning, the Sierra - amazing!
    Am I correct in assuming all your shots were with the 1D? If so I need that camera. The detail is stunning and I love to make large (Super A3) prints.

regards,

Gary
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    These are all wonderful, Thnxs for sharing. You are very fortunate to be able to capture such a unique environment.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    gpgold wrote:
    Susan,

I drove to Tahoe two weeks ago (instead of flying) for a business trip. 20 hours in the car over three days (alone) because we have been blessed with incredible sights this Spring. The Mojave - stunning, the Sierra - amazing!
    Am I correct in assuming all your shots were with the 1D? If so I need that camera. The detail is stunning and I love to make large (Super A3) prints.

regards,

Gary
    Wow, that's really cool that you have had the opportunity to take in all of these sights and environments.

Actually the images in the DV gallery are about equal between the D60 and the 1D ll. My first digital slr was a not very used D60 that I got about a year and a half ago. Due to less than satisfactory focus ability in low light and slow focus trying to capture moving objects, I was ready for the 1D about a year later. Since I did not want to get dust on the sensors, I put the 24-70 on the 1D with its 1.3 crop factor and, the 70-200 4.0 on the D60 for telephoto with its 1.6 crop factor, to get the widest range possible. For the quick at dusk shots the night before at the hotel, I used the 1D with the 35 1.4. All of the lenses had the circular polarizer on them. I'm so glad that I had the D60 cleaned and a blown pixel fixed at Canon Irvine to give me this system. I post processed with PSCS- nothing complicated since I'm really unsophisticated at PS. The tiff files with either camera are quite large and I'm sure will print just fine up to poster size with lots of info to spare. I always shoot in RAW because I need all of the help that I can get! After doing the post stuff, I convert the RAW to 16 bit tiff, then I convert to 8 bit and jpg to put on the web site.

Shoot, I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about! I've learned tons form these forums over the last year and a half.

HTH,

Susan
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    SusanB wrote:
    Wow, that's really cool that you have had the opportunity to take in all of these sights and environments.

Actually the images in the DV gallery are about equal between the D60 and the 1D ll. My first digital slr was a not very used D60 that I got about a year and a half ago. Due to less than satisfactory focus ability in low light and slow focus trying to capture moving objects, I was ready for the 1D about a year later. Since I did not want to get dust on the sensors, I put the 24-70 on the 1D with its 1.3 crop factor and, the 70-200 4.0 on the D60 for telephoto with its 1.6 crop factor, to get the widest range possible. For the quick at dusk shots the night before at the hotel, I used the 1D with the 35 1.4. All of the lenses had the circular polarizer on them. I'm so glad that I had the D60 cleaned and a blown pixel fixed at Canon Irvine to give me this system. I post processed with PSCS- nothing complicated since I'm really unsophisticated at PS. The tiff files with either camera are quite large and I'm sure will print just fine up to poster size with lots of info to spare. I always shoot in RAW because I need all of the help that I can get! After doing the post stuff, I convert the RAW to 16 bit tiff, then I convert to 8 bit and jpg to put on the web site.

Shoot, I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about! I've learned tons form these forums over the last year and a half.All of the lenses, extender are canon.

HTH,

Susan

Oops, I forgot to add that I had the 1.4 extender on the 70-200. I know that there has been discussion as to the sharpness of the extenders. I'm very happy with the 1.4.

Susan
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 15, 2005
    Awesome Susan thumb.gifthumb.gif

I just love the wildflower and dunes shots clap.gifclap.gif So many goden blossoms, they're gonna have to rename it to Live Valley........lol

Not only did you pick the perfect time to visit for wildflowers, you also beat the heat thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero