362897719_HWh4w-M.jpg

362898100_RBbKn-M.jpg

362896708_4DG7w-M.jpg
Rags

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited September 2, 2008
    I like the first. But without more background, it's hard to get a feel for height or position. Maybe a wider crop?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Too close under them... I prefer up close and personal over this...

173192110_6JctR-M.jpg
    Rags
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    Ooops double post... sorry
    Rags
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    Are you shooting at 3rd Ave?
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2008
    Yup... by the driving range
    Rags
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2008
    torags wrote:
    Yup... by the driving range
    Sweet. I should come up that way some time.
  • Options
    gchappelgchappel Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    I think you need to capture the face, with good facial expressions, in these shots for them to have true power- much like you did in shot #1. The problem with shot #1 is without any perspective I can't tell what actually is going on. You were there, you remember how you took the shot. To me, he might as well be hanging out of a tree. There is no indication of water, no indication of motion. I like the up close and personal shot here, but there has to be enough information to make the shot. I think we need to see at least some of the water, and a little bit of motion blur to confirm action.
    gary
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Sweet. I should come up that way some time.

It a small road off 3rd that appears to dead end at the driving range, but turns right (south) to the Bay Walk & waters edge.

If you go, try a Sat/Sun after 3pm. It was a zoo when I was there.
    Rags
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2008
    gchappel wrote:
    I think you need to capture the face, with good facial expressions, in these shots for them to have true power- much like you did in shot #1. The problem with shot #1 is without any perspective I can't tell what actually is going on. You were there, you remember how you took the shot. To me, he might as well be hanging out of a tree. There is no indication of water, no indication of motion. I like the up close and personal shot here, but there has to be enough information to make the shot. I think we need to see at least some of the water, and a little bit of motion blur to confirm action.
    gary

You get what you can get and work with it. I don't agree with the body of thought that blur is always required to show motion.

If someone is hanging in the air the viewers brain calculates there is an event going to happen as a result of gravity.

If that body has drops of water spewing from it,the viewers brain calculates there is motion. No blur is necessary.

I shot Cirque de Solei (before I was Kicked out for taking pix) and there was no motion when two people were sitting on a bicyclists shoulder on a bike on a high wire, but the pic has interest as a result of an impending disaster.

A pic of Michael Jordan flying thru the air to the basket cheating gravity doesn't need blur.

But where it is required is if you have a super bike coming at you, the spokes should be blurred, because good bokeh doen't imply movement. But if the knee is rubbing the track, the brain calculates he's moving and cheating gravity.

Long story short; blur is not a requirement in my opinion, but I could be wrong (would be first time since '92)
    Rags