Options

Ancient Bristlecone Forest above Bishop, CA

CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
edited September 8, 2008 in Landscapes
Marc, Phil, and I went shooting 3 times in 3 days. Got a few I liked. :D

A couple I've put up here in other threads but these have a little PP applied in Aperture.

365076971_dN3FE-L.jpg

365081789_KTBrs-L.jpg

365079926_vTZV5-XL.jpg

365081072_cGMKR-XL.jpg

365083894_GFFqs-L.jpg

365085557_taXr8-L.jpg

365086871_KgY9p-XL.jpg

365090279_AJ4aN-XL.jpg

365091050_bSRbD-XL.jpg

Gallery is here:

http://blloyd.smugmug.com/gallery/5869057_weNGX#365075917_R3NJV

C&C welcome!

Comments

• Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Fantastic series! 4 and 5 are spectacular. These trees have so much character, they make great subjects! thumb.gif
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Whoever thought dead wood could be so lovely?

What I think I like most about your approach is the variety of conditions you captured these trees. Sunset and warm light is all good (some of these I think are just a bit too warm) but adding the star trails too, mmmmm.

#3: Polarizer or masking?

The silhouette shot is just killer thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Whoever thought dead wood could be so lovely?

What I think I like most about your approach is the variety of conditions you captured these trees. Sunset and warm light is all good (some of these I think are just a bit too warm) but adding the star trails too, mmmmm.

#3: Polarizer or masking?

The silhouette shot is just killer thumb.gif

Thanks!

#3 is a polarizer. I didn't round trip any photos to Photoshop because I didn't feel like spending a few hours remembering how to create an adequate mask mwink.gif

Thanks on the silhouette. That's what we had the second we hopped out of the car at the Patriarch Grove so it was a sprint. Marc had to carry a big video camera so he took a little longer to get over there. Actually he had the still camera as well... I think he could carry more than the pack mules we used the previous week. If the photography thing doesn't work out he can get a job in a beautiful place rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Hey Bill,

3rd one is my favorite - really like the light on the tree as well as it's strong placement in the fg. Ideally would have had some clouds, but that's the way the atmosphere goes.

4th is clearly a cool shot. The tree seems a touch overlit for my tastes, and the milky way coming right out of the top is a little odd unless you know what it is.

The silhouettes are awesome - like the vertical and horizontal equally.

Looks like the extra few days were quite productive. Nice stuff.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited September 3, 2008
    You got some nice light. That's for sure.

I like the silhouette & star trails (the tree looks a little creepy in that one :D).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Wonderful images. I like the shapes/silhouettes of dead trees.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Love the series, 3 and 4 are my favorites. The light is fantastic and in 3 I like the way the sunlight is isolating the tree.
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Great images! How did you do the star trail shot?
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Great images! How did you do the star trail shot?

The stars were 30 minutes @ f/8 with ISO 400. The tree was a couple 5-second paints with a bright light... maybe 2 million candlepower?

All you really need to do is find a few test shots to see how bright the tree gets when you hit it with a flashlight. The star exposure isn't going to change, so you set up the shot, do a 30 minute exposure, and paint the tree for the right exposure and then hunker down and have a beer, a glass of port (hell, just take a pull from the bottle itself), some cheese and crackers, or however you want to pass the time at 10,500' :D
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Amazing you got great photos in gallery too !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    You must have been running while shooting, because I know we did not have much time in these locations and yet you have images of many trees I did not see. #5 is a piece of workclap.gif These look good Bill and if you do take the time to mask I think some of these shots would be worth the trouble and time.

I spoke with Dean, our camp cook while in the Sierras, and he told me someone tried to set fire to the Schulman Grove visitor center this morningeek7.gif Hard to believe what some folks are thinkingne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2008
    You must have been running while shooting, because I know we did not have much time in these locations and yet you have images of many trees I did not see. #5 is a piece of workclap.gif These look good Bill and if you do take the time to mask I think some of these shots would be worth the trouble and time.

I spoke with Dean, our camp cook while in the Sierras, and he told me someone tried to set fire to the Schulman Grove visitor center this morningeek7.gif Hard to believe what some folks are thinkingne_nau.gif

I didn't have to portage a franken-video-tripod so I was way more nimble. Made the 11,300' elevation feel like 10,200'... easy mwink.gif

Ridiculous that someone would try and set fire to the visitor center! You sure it wasn't static buildup on a pekinese or something that an old lady was carrying? Its really dry up there... I could see it happening eek7.gif
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Visitor Center Burned Down
    I heard that the Bristlecone Visitor Center just burned down.
    http://www.inyoregister.com/content/view/115529/1/

I was there a few years ago and it was a nice little building and
    a welcome respite from the cold and wind.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2008
    a110p0 wrote:

Alvin

Wow. I was in there Sunday. That was a very, very nice visitor center. :cry :cry
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited September 8, 2008
    a110p0 wrote:

Alvin
    That is seriously too bad. The BCP forest is one of those things that I bet doesn't get a lot of money and rebuilding will likely be difficult.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?