Options

Digital infrared question

tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
edited April 16, 2005 in Technique
I've seen some very cool shots lately that aparently are taken with an infrared filter. Is that the only thing you need for a digital to take infrared shots, or is it one of those things where some cameras can do it while others can't. I didn't want to waste money on a filter if my camera can't do it (it's only an S5100).

I am going to be purchasing a full DSLR soon (i'm looking at a Fuji S3), so if anyone has done any of these shots, let me know what type of camera you have.

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    tlittleton wrote:
    I've seen some very cool shots lately that aparently are taken with an infrared filter. Is that the only thing you need for a digital to take infrared shots, or is it one of those things where some cameras can do it while others can't. I didn't want to waste money on a filter if my camera can't do it (it's only an S5100).

I am going to be purchasing a full DSLR soon (i'm looking at a Fuji S3), so if anyone has done any of these shots, let me know what type of camera you have.
    New 20D out now or real soon that can do it. That would be my pick well over the fuji. Or you can d/load a prog from fred miranda for a few $ that converts.

Just some thoughts.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    some digicams are better than others at infrared. the sony 7x7 and 828, and even the mavica are superb. i know the dimage has some models that do it well. check these threads over on dpr and do some research on the fuji models...

in general you need at least a hoya r72 or equivalent and then some good post processing skills..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=7558421 and there are loads of info in this and the underlying threads...

good luck!
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    wow...quick response...thanks guys
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    One way to tell if your camera can do it is point your camera at your remote for your TV and hold a button down on the remote while you take the shot. If there is a white spot on the remote then your camera can see infrared, then the filter should work.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    New 20D out now or real soon that can do it. That would be my pick well over the fuji. Or you can d/load a prog from fred miranda for a few $ that converts.

Just some thoughts.

actually *not* true, 'gus... that 20d special from canon is somehow suited to astrophotography, and a certain infrared spectrum, but it won't do traditional ir-photography like this:

7282238-L.jpg

many of us thought it might, but sadly, it won't....
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2005
    Thank you greaper...didn't even think about the remote. Just for the record, a Fuji S5100 does indeed see infrared.