Options

Chrome (new Google Browser) compatibility?

paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
edited September 6, 2008 in SmugMug Support
So presumably no-one's yet able to test out Smugmug pages on the new Google browser yet?

Any issues anticipated?

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    OK, so apparently Chrome uses Webkit, the same renderer as Safari.....which I haven't tested my site on either!!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    I expect plenty of issues :D

We'll start reviewing it once it's available.

For the record, our officially supported browsers are:

IE6
    IE7
    Firefox Mac / Win
    Safari Mac / Win
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Looks okay so far, just a quick look see - things seem to work for the most part :)

We'll see about getting it into our QA cycle and when I have news on that we'll let y'all know!
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    Can't spot any problems either - it's VERY fast as well!
  • Options
    mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    paulbrock wrote:
    Can't spot any problems either - it's VERY fast as well!

I installed it in a Windows VM. It's VERY fast. It didn't have any issues with my domain hosted here at Smugmug.

It's based on the same engine as Safari, and has some Gecko bits (which are underneath Firefox). I would expect it would work OK.

I used it on my site for 10-15 minutes, not an exhaustive test, but it did seem to work well, and it is pretty fast, even in a VM.

Mike.
  • Options
    edmaineedmaine Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    I installed it in a Windows VM. It's VERY fast. It didn't have any issues with my domain hosted here at Smugmug.

It's based on the same engine as Safari, and has some Gecko bits (which are underneath Firefox). I would expect it would work OK.

I used it on my site for 10-15 minutes, not an exhaustive test, but it did seem to work well, and it is pretty fast, even in a VM.

Mike.

i have it on my work laptop, i just uploaded one photo successfully, although only the "Olde Faithful" works, no plugins yet for Simple uploader...

actually, posted this reply using Chrome...
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 2, 2008

Mike.
    Where did you see that they were using Gecko?
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Where did you see that they were using Gecko?

I recant my statement. I can't find it. I probably *thought* I read it somewhere. My mistake, I apologize.

Mike.
  • Options
    edmaineedmaine Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    I recant my statement. I can't find it. I probably *thought* I read it somewhere. My mistake, I apologize.

Mike.

actually, Chrome is identifying itself as a Safari browser... at least that is what the HTTP request reports:

HTTP_USER_AGENT Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.149.27 Safari/525.13

I think this where Mike saw the Gecko thingy....
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    edmaine wrote:
    actually, Chrome is identifying itself as a Safari browser... at least that is what the HTTP request reports:

HTTP_USER_AGENT Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.149.27 Safari/525.13

I think this where Mike saw the Gecko thingy....

I thought I saw on Om Malik's blog, or on JKOnTheRun that it was based on Gecko. Obviously, I'm mistaken, and apologize for the misspeak.

It is a very fast browser. I would miss my Firefox plugins though.

Mike.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Well I tried this on my smugmug site to check it out, and it passed with flying colors (well, actually I didnt check the colors...thats a to do)

The only issue I have found in these parts is with DGrin:

If I look at the bottom of any thread, in FF, Safari or IE, it looks like this:

364469161_bn47w-M.jpg

But in Chrome, it looks like this (notice extra options)

364469214_WwnEx-M.jpg

Safari does NOT do this, nor does any browser other than Chrome.
  • Options
    mteichermteicher Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Google Chrome (new Google Browser)
    Just downloading Google Chrome this morning, I will be probably putting it through it's paces later this afternoon, hopefully all the plug-ins that I use to upload to smugmug will work :)
    Mark Teicher
    Principle Photographer/Co-Founder
    Body Bumpers, LLC
    PH: 717 918 1262
    Fax: 831 480 5873
    url: www.body-bumpers.com
    email: mteicher@body-bumpers.com
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    With the chrome browser, I tried to add photos to a gallery with the simple uploader and I get a "No plugin available to display this content" message. From both the mac and windows list. I am on windows but since people said it was identifying itself as a safari browser, I figured I try the mac list. Well I guess I need to use old faithful.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2008
    bham wrote:
    With the chrome browser, I tried to add photos to a gallery with the simple uploader and I get a "No plugin available to display this content" message. From both the mac and windows list. I am on windows but since people said it was identifying itself as a safari browser, I figured I try the mac list. Well I guess I need to use old faithful.

BHam - The Chrome browser may actually persuade a number of people (myself included) to move from the in browser upload tools to a (better) upload tool such as Star*Explorer. (No, I didn't write Star*Explorer, and I don't make any money off of it).

But Chrome is pretty nice. No Java support, from what I could see.

Mike.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2008
    You need to get Java for Chrome, but at the moment it requires an updated Java plugin from Sun. it is still in beta:

http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=95282&query=java&topic=&type=
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    You need to get Jave for Chrome, but at the moment it requires an updated Java plugin from Sun. it is still in beta:

http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=95282&query=java&topic=&type=

Great. Didn't know that. Still think Star*Explorer is a better alternative.

Mike.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2008
    Great. Didn't know that. Still think Star*Explorer is a better alternative.

Mike.

couldn't agree more
  • Options
    pancamopancamo Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    1st impression of chrome...

1. Smugmug site looks the same as IE7, however non-cache pics "pop" a little slower than IE7.
    2. No default RSS integration... I love IE7 RSS...
    3. I like the most visited on new tabs
    4. I don't like the Oiler Love Ya blue default color..

Google should have included more features before putting out the beta...

IE7 is still #1 for me...

Andy wrote:
    Looks okay so far, just a quick look see - things seem to work for the most part :)

We'll see about getting it into our QA cycle and when I have news on that we'll let y'all know!
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    I have been using it for a few days. One thing I have noticed is that sometimes the bottom half of the screen does not load, it just goes pure white. A quick refresh and it completely loads.

It is very fast. I think for a BETA it looks very promising.
    Cheers,
    Monte