Options

Which image is more appealing / successful?

MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited April 16, 2005 in Landscapes
Just curious which of these three images you find more visually appealing / successful?

First two, taken on the same day / sunset, just some time apart.

10363678-M-1.jpg

13896350-M-2.jpg

#3 which was taken on a completely different day and has a very different "look" to it, naturally.........
4024407-M-2.jpg
Markjay
Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
Canon 20D - no more film!

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    #3. Easily the most distinctive and dramatic. The first two are bland. Lovely color in #3.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    sunsets
    number 2 on the sunsets. but, sunsets are a dime a dozen, so they've really got to be super super interesting i think to catch my attention. the sky and colors are nice in number two, and there's some foreground interest.

i've gotten fussy about sunsets and now don't shoot them unless there's something really interesting in the scene. my favorite lately is here:

12115652-M.jpg

this one i like becuase it has a lot of foreground interest with the rocks etc

and this one has the rocks and a bird but suffers from some flare so i either need to work it up harder in post or ditch it.

anyhow, you are at the beach all the time - look for boats, fisherman, birds (i've seen some lovely bird sunsets of yours), walkers, runners, dogs, etc...

oh and one other thing: don't' forget to turn around, 180degs and 90degs from the setting sun, you'll be really pleased at what you see deal.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 16, 2005
    I have to disagree in part with my friend Waxy.

#3 is indeed special but distinct from the others and not to be judged in comparison.
    Of the other 2, #1 is my fave. Nothing bland about it. very nice light and color and great cloud formation.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    So there you have it. #1, #2 and #3 are the best! :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    Andy is a snob about sunsets. I'm a sucker for them and I like all of yours.
    Sunsets are an especially fun playground for LAB curves. See here.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    Thanks and......
    You are right about wanting to see other elements in the sunsets, when they are available. I try but, it's not always there for me. Sometimes a sunset can be apprecaited for what is is, by itself.

And just so you know, I'm not at the beach all the time :-)

I know you've seen many of my still life images and, just to solidify the fact that I'm not at the beach all the time..........
    Somtimes I do the dreaded (dreaded by ME) "zoo thing"

14239041-M.jpg

Other times I'm attempting "street photography" (not much street action going on here, this aint NYC man lol....
    14448331-M.jpg

Other times........
    I occasionally find a character like this around
    12304797-M.jpg

Thanks for your comments and critique, my friend Andy!
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!