Options

My daughter and her friend using studio lights

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited September 7, 2008 in People
I havent used these much. I think the pics look okay, but think that maybe I need to move the light to camera right down a little to get a different catch light. Anyway, any CC is welcome.

366426353_U9gTC-L.jpg
366428386_tyoQJ-L.jpg
367169004_C8ADQ-L.jpg
366427773_4PfXZ-L.jpg
367165377_297eC-L.jpg
366428479_s6xvJ-L.jpg
367162431_fkyTn-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Very cute Julie, #1 has some blueish tint to it, but the rest are with pretty good light, looks like you used 2.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    Nice
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Very cute Julie, #1 has some blueish tint to it, but the rest are with pretty good light, looks like you used 2.

I agree. What lights and modifiers did you use for these?
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    NaxNax Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited September 7, 2008
    The look great, Julie.

I really like 2,3,5, and 7. The writing on the hand is a cool effect and the shots that look more casual have a having fun feel.

-Tom
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    What cute girls! Guessing their ages, I'll bet they LOVE these shots. Nice goin'!
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    I agree. What lights and modifiers did you use for these?

This question is always tough for me to explain as I don't know the name of the lights but I'll try. I have my main light with a bounce umbrella that I have a sync cord that plugs into it and goes on my hotshoe flash. Then on camera right I have another light with a silver bounce umbrella. Another light with barndoors facing the backdrop. I'm not sure what modifiers are though.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:

I agree, I see the bluish tint. I'll have to try to correct that.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    I agree, I see the bluish tint. I'll have to try to correct that.

Blue tint might be your white balance setting or if you had other lights on.

Modifiers are barn doors, umbrellas, soft boxes....
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    I havent used these much. I think the pics look okay, but think that maybe I need to move the light to camera right down a little to get a different catch light. Anyway, any CC is welcome.
    This pictures show your two strobes to be somewhere in the neighborhood of about 45 degrees off of the camera-subject line and at about the same height from the floor and they also appear to be set to about the same power. That combination will result is some fairly boring (flat) light - no really interesting shadows. Now, then, if that's what you were attempting, then you did well. On the other hand, if not how about trying something like this:
    • Place your fill light near your camera-subject line. Put a large shoot through modifier on it. Set the power to 1 or 2 stops lower than your main light.
    • Place your main light about 45 degrees off the subject-camera line and about 45 degrees off the floor (light-subject-floor angle somewhat close to 45 degrees).
    • Shoot the shot.
    The above is a formula for classic loop lighting. Play with it, change it, and make it your own.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    #2, 4, and 5 also have a blue tint. Aside from that they are nice shots. I like 2, 3, and 4 the most.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com