Options

redirect issues

KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
edited September 9, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I read the threads after doing a cname search here.

I changed my cname to domains.smugmug.com

I still get
Invalid URL

The requested URL "/", is invalid. Reference #9.4db933d1.1220922572.0

This worked fine for years using the nickname we aren't supposed to use. Now it doesn't work and I really need it to.

I'm with 1and1 using a subdomain: galleries.creativekhaos.com

I do also use a redirect because it's either that or point to an empty directory. That's my options. The redirect with the cname using the nickname creative-khaos.smugmug.com worked for a long time.

I've been very busy and just got lucky in noticing this. Not good. Something shouldn't work and then stop because what I was doing wasn't right to begin with even though it worked for years. It had to be right at some time because I set it up that way a long time ago based on the instructions found here.

I need help please. It worked. Something changed. Now it doesn't.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Keith, looks like you sorted it out? For the curious, it's because of this:

Thank you for contacting SmugMug. I'm sorry about your domain troubles. It seems as if you have pointed your domain with a CNAME to NICKNAME.smugmug.com . This may have worked in the past, but it's not something we instructed you to do. Please change your CNAME record to domains.smugmug.com instead. That'll fix your domain. In the past we asked you to point your CNAME to www.smugmug.com, but this will stop working soon. You will also want to change the IP address for any A record you have pointed at SmugMug (the old IP is 63.81.134.23) as that will also be changing soon.

We have more information on the correct domain setups here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts

In a nutshell, to set up the CNAME correctly you need the following:
    1. for the www host point a CNAME record to domains.smugmug.com
    2. also add or change an A record to 208.79.45.23 if you want people to be able to access your site without www. Some domains allow you to use an @ sign for the host to indicate that it is empty. Check the help at your domain host to see what they recommend.

If you use subdomain.yourdomain.com instead of www.yourdomain.com ,
    point the subdomain with a CNAME record to domains.smugmug.com and don't add an A record as it isn't needed.

Do not use your full domain in the CNAME unless the domain host tells you to. If you do, you will end up with
    www.yourdomain.com.yourdomain.com or something similar.

Do not put in the yournickname.smugmug.com address as the destination no matter how tempting that may be. Do not use forwarding or redirects either. None of these will work correctly.
    You may find that you will need to edit or delete any existing www or @ records if there are any for your site. It will take 24-48 hours for the changes to propagate around the internet.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Looks like it.thumb.gif

Must of been a lag on my provider's side. The instant information culture has gotten me too impatient.:D

Thanks for the reply!