Options

Viewing Digital Photos

amghioamghio Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited April 7, 2004 in Accessories
Hi. I've been a film photographer for many years, but have just recently been bitten by the digital bug. Clearly, the missing link in digital is the ability to show photos to friends, family members, etc. that have no computer - and I do not want to drag my camera around for display purposes. I am thinking of using a portable DVD player that is compatible with JPEG for this purpose. The theory is that all I need to do is create a CD of my photos and slap it into the player and there you go. I would welcome any comments on this as I do not own a portable DVD player and I would like to have some opinions before I buy one. Thanks to all. - starman

Comments

• Options
    ArchiveHughArchiveHugh Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 20, 2004
    Hey
    (Just another idea) How about getting one of those printers and printing out your digital photos and then you could just shuffle through those photos like the old days. I myself like holding and examining a photo that someone shot. Two or more people looking into a small screen seems crowded. Good luck.

amghio wrote:
    Hi. I've been a film photographer for many years, but have just recently been bitten by the digital bug. Clearly, the missing link in digital is the ability to show photos to friends, family members, etc. that have no computer - and I do not want to drag my camera around for display purposes. I am thinking of using a portable DVD player that is compatible with JPEG for this purpose. The theory is that all I need to do is create a CD of my photos and slap it into the player and there you go. I would welcome any comments on this as I do not own a portable DVD player and I would like to have some opinions before I buy one. Thanks to all. - starman
  • Options
    SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2004
    There are also a few proggies available for those with Palm Pilots (or similar) with color display. A sort of (very) portable electronic photo album.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    There are also a few proggies available for those with Palm Pilots (or similar) with color display. A sort of (very) portable electronic photo album.
    Thanks for the idea, Seamaiden. I've always wanted to get a Palm Pilot. Maybe this will be the excuse I need.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2004
    (Just another idea) How about getting one of those printers and printing out your digital photos and then you could just shuffle through those photos like the old days. I myself like holding and examining a photo that someone shot. Two or more people looking into a small screen seems crowded. Good luck.
    Thanks for the comment. I think I just want to get away from all those prints that have to be organized into albums. However, when all is said and done, that may turn out to be the best option. Thanks again.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 21, 2004
    amghio wrote:
    I think Iomega makes a device that lets you project jpgs on a standard TV screen - this might eliminate the little screen complaint that someone mentioned about DVD players.
    I found it - it is called Iomega 31308 FotoShow
    Digital Image Center

But there is a problem in that the jpgs have t be transfered to 100 or 250Mb ZIP disks first - that is too small a media for most of us as it is easy to fill a CDROM with 500Mb of pictures with the newer digital cameras. Perhaps there is a device like this for CDRS that will display them of a TV screen - may be satisfactory for snapshots, but probably not for serious photographs. Or just print out your keepers of course....

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2004
    amghio wrote:
    Thanks for the idea, Seamaiden. I've always wanted to get a Palm Pilot. Maybe this will be the excuse I need.

The Palm site is always having specials. I just got a Magellen GPS Companion for my hand-me-down Palm m515 that has two rebate specials going on. Regularly priced at Palm for $180US. The best price I could find otherwise was just under $100US. But, the two rebates, one for $100, the other for an additional $30, brings it down to $50. Comes with Rand-McNally map software that seems to integrate quite nicely with the Magellan (I used it for a trip out to Santa Monica last week, oh my lord did I geek out HARD).
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2004
    I am buying one of these or similar in a few months. Maybe worth a look into ?

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/photo/misc/smartdisk.html#flashtrax
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2004
    And I found this browsing for best prices on the slave flash
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90126951&loc=33409&sp=2
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    SavannahManSavannahMan Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2004
    Do what I do. Display the image full screen on your computer, and take a polariod of it.....thumb.gif
  • Options
    gypsy77360gypsy77360 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    go Mac
    I burn digital photos to DVD w/music on my Mac , send them to friends for playback on their TV. Makes a nice gift also.
  • Options
    clickclick Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    Most local film stores will make prints from images in flash cards and cdroms. They're no different than prints from negatives.
  • Options
    clickclick Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2004
    Try this site too: http://www.printroom.com/
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2004
    Do what I do. Display the image full screen on your computer, and take a polariod of it.....thumb.gif
    Dammit, Man, I missed this. You make me guffaw, literally. lol3.gif
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery