Options

Can you search galleries by filenames?

tmanchestertmanchester Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
edited September 10, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I would think it would intuitively work that I could type a filename and have a search return the location of that file, however, it doesn't work for me.

For example, If I know there's a file named "TRM_4753", and I do a SM search for it, it returns no results. I know it's there, because I can see it in the gallery.

Can you not search by filename, or am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 10, 2008
    I would think it would intuitively work that I could type a filename and have a search return the location of that file, however, it doesn't work for me.

For example, If I know there's a file named "TRM_4753", and I do a SM search for it, it returns no results. I know it's there, because I can see it in the gallery.

Can you not search by filename, or am I doing something wrong?

Hi :)

We extract captions, IPTC keywords, and parsed filenames for each photo and place them in the search index. Parsed filenames means we remove non-alphanumeric characters such as _ - & . , etc.

If you upload a file with a filename like TRM_4753.jpg, you can find it using search for TRM, but not for TRM_4753. The filename will be displayed, however, as TRM_4753 (we strip off the .jpg for display).
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    Filename search has been a requested feature for a long time. Along with improvements to the rest of the search functionality.

Search by exif data would be nice too!

Dave